2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

14 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22669196/ohio-state-center-billy-price-surgery-pectoral-injury

Says it shouldn't affect his stock and note it was a partial and not a full tear

If that really is the case and it checks out, that's great news for him.  Though worse news for our potential to actually be in range to draft him.

Teams will have different takes on the injury though.  That's just the favourable prognosis he's got from his doctors (and presumably the ones who did the surgery?).  Which is a good foundation, but doesn't actually guarantee he'll be ready to go.

Sounds like it should be close though.  Which, if the guy is going to miss the beginning of camp and preseason even...it's very much not ideal, but i think i could work with that for the right talent/value.  He's a pretty polished player, with that positional versatility.  I'd imagine missing some preseason time might not be quite as detrimental for a prospect like that, as it could be for someone a lot more raw and unpolished.

13 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know highlights can be biased but there was alot to like there. He has speed but isnt easy to bring down. Showed good hands and routes

He seems to me like more of a "highlights" player than a consistent machine.  But he did have the previously mentioned less than stellar QB play impediment.

He seems a lot like a thicker built, more physical Marqise Lee type to me.  Which, with this staff's apparent bias toward these types...combined with the McCardell connection, means that yeah...they've probably got this guy very high on their boards.

I like his dynamic ability, and he's got a nice frame and decent hands, with more of a "fight for every yard" mentality that i like.  But i'm still not convinced that this is what a 1st round WR looks like to me.

If we're desperate for a guy to run some easy drag routes for Bortle and potentially turn them into something though...we could do a lot worse.  Moore is a talented player.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

He seems to me like more of a "highlights" player than a consistent machine.  But he did have the previously mentioned less than stellar QB play impediment.

He seems a lot like a thicker built, more physical Marqise Lee type to me.  Which, with this staff's apparent bias toward these types...combined with the McCardell connection, means that yeah...they've probably got this guy very high on their boards.

I like his dynamic ability, and he's got a nice frame and decent hands, with more of a "fight for every yard" mentality that i like.  But i'm still not convinced that this is what a 1st round WR looks like to me.

If we're desperate for a guy to run some easy drag routes for Bortle and potentially turn them into something though...we could do a lot worse.  Moore is a talented player.

I wanna say his last 2 years he played with 4 different qbs each year.

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Could McGlinchey be a guy who could play OG and kick out to RT down the line?

This Norwell signing opens up some interesting possibilities.

I don't see us moving a possible tackle into guard then kick him outside next year.  Guard isn't a need outside of a competition guy like omameh unless they planning on letting cann go

Just now, LinderFournette said:

I don't see us moving a possible tackle into guard then kick him outside next year.  Guard isn't a need outside of a competition guy like omameh unless they planning on letting cann go

Cann was average last season at best. Wasn't very pretty in the run game though. With how we want to play, I'm all about building up a monster on the OL and we're close to it.

McGlinchey wouldn't start over Parnell right now. Only way at PT is RG.

39 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Could McGlinchey be a guy who could play OG and kick out to RT down the line?

This Norwell signing opens up some interesting possibilities.

He's awfully tall to try to play inside. 

Even just having someone like him around as a swing tackle/insurance wouldn't be the worst thing anyway though. We've got starters, but zero quality depth at tackle. 

It's possible the could work him out at guard and see how it goes. I'd think just working on grooming him for thand switch to RT and having him around for if/when a tackle gets dinged up would probably be more plausible. 

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

He's awfully tall to try to play inside. 

Even just having someone like him around as a swing tackle/insurance wouldn't be the worst thing anyway though. We've got starters, but zero quality depth at tackle. 

It's possible the could work him out at guard and see how it goes. I'd think just working on grooming him for thand switch to RT and having him around for if/when a tackle gets dinged up would probably be more plausible. 

wasnt alex boone like 6 foot 8 and played guard?

21 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Cann was average last season at best. Wasn't very pretty in the run game though. With how we want to play, I'm all about building up a monster on the OL and we're close to it.

McGlinchey wouldn't start over Parnell right now. Only way at PT is RG.

more pressing needs then adding a depth piece in round 1. 

go add a WR, QB, TE in the 1st 3 rounds in some sort of order.  find an OT and maybe a NB later

20 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

wasnt alex boone like 6 foot 8 and played guard?

He certainly wouldn't be the first ever very tall guard. But I'm not sure his skill set is all that well suited to playing inside either. He's more of a length player to me. Could see him struggling with leverage and his feet inside against interior pressure. 

29: R1P29
WR COURTLAND SUTTON
SMU number 1 wr
61: R2P29
TE DALLAS GOEDERT
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE starting te
93: R3P29
OT BRIAN O'NEILL
PITTSBURGH right tackle of future
129: R4P29
LB SHAQUEM GRIFFIN
CENTRAL FLORIDA same lber
203: R6P29
CB TONY BROWN
ALABAMA cb depth
230: R7P12
P MICHAEL DICKSON
TEXAS saving money at p
247: R7P29
QB CHASE LITTON
MARSHALL qb of future?

figure we can start some talk about some potental Draft te options.

some Sleepers: Christopher Herndon Miami(FL), David Wells San Diego State

MY TE top 5 list for our us goes:

Dallas Goedert

Hayden Hurst

Mike Gesicki

Dalton Schultz

Ian Thomas.

i dont have andrews listed because i think hes really a jumbo-slot wr kinda like Ebron of the lions and i just dont see coughlin wanting something like that early in the draft. 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Penn State have a whole bunch of guys in this year's draft though.  DaeShon Hamilton is there too.  Plus a handful of LBers and OLinemen that could be of some interest.

It's just seems so bizarre to me that they'd be that into Gesicki.  Have to squint really hard to see how a TE who can't block fits into this obvious ground and pound super emphasis they appear to be going with.

But then...they do some pretty bizarre/unexpected things.  So maybe...

Archived