Joe Montana/Dan Marino in 2018 vs.................

ZenoRazon

Comparing different players from different eras is impossible to do with the evolution of players' size, athletic ability overall with technology, and ofcourse all the rule changes. 

That said, Joe Montana tips the scale for me. He is, IMO, the GOAT for reasons said above. *Ducks from incoming Pats fans*

Marino and Brees are one in the same---both are/were the most accurate passers of their time and both were constantly held back by bad defenses. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Comparing different players from different eras is impossible to do with the evolution of players' size, athletic ability overall with technology, and ofcourse all the rule changes. 

That said, Joe Montana tips the scale for me. He is, IMO, the GOAT for reasons said above. *Ducks from incoming Pats fans*

Marino and Brees are one in the same---both are/were the most accurate passers of their time and both were constantly held back by bad defenses. 

Hardly impossible, Bullet Bob Hayes would still the the fastest player in the NFL.  Lawrence Taylor, Darrell Green could still play, Slingin' Sammy Baugh could still punt.

The game is so much faster today than back in the day, especially with the big guys. Far faster athletes in the game now.

Montana/Marino would be overwelmed. While Brees/Rodgers never had it so good.

Montana my fav QB, his RC a prized possesion.

Edited by ZenoRazon

2 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Hardly impossible, Bullet Bob Hayes would still the the fastest player in the NFL.  Lawrence Taylor, Darrell Green could still play, Slingin' Sammy Baugh could still punt.

The game is so much faster today than back in the day, especially with the big guys. Far faster athletes in the game now.

Montana/Marino would be overwelmed. While Brees/Rodgers never had it so good.

Montana my fav QB, his RC a prized possesion.

Not impossible?? Speed don't mean crap if you don't know how to use it effectively. If that were the case then Hester would have turned out to be one of the best WR's of all time. And LT could NEVER get away with the hits that he did back then in today's game. 

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not impossible?? Speed don't mean crap if you don't know how to use it effectively. If that were the case then Hester would have turned out to be one of the best WR's of all time. And LT could NEVER get away with the hits that he did back then in today's game. 

Actually speed means everything in football, there is nothing good with being slow.

Hester wasn't anywhere close to being among the fast receivers, he could just manuevar at near max/topend unlike others.

Jerry Rice was passed over because of his 40 speed, lack of it.

Montana/Marino vs the speed of today's game, nay~~~~~~~

5 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Actually speed means everything in football,

Wait, what? If that were the case then DHB would have been all-pro. Also, John Ross just posted the fastest 40 time in combine history, is he bound to be great? How did Dri Archer from Kent turn out? How did Chris Johnson's career fair overall? 

Again, speed don't mean crap if you can't learn a playbook, read defenses correctly, not round out those cut routes properly, etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Wait, what? If that were the case then DHB would have been all-pro. Also, John Ross just posted the fastest 40 time in combine history, is he bound to be great? How did Dri Archer from Kent turn out? How did Chris Johnson's career fair overall? 

Again, speed don't mean crap if you can't learn a playbook, read defenses correctly, not round out those cut routes properly, etc.

Dri Archer was a head case.

Johnson had a solid career, he just couldn't break tackles. Without that speed he has no NFL career. A 2000 yard season, a 4.5 career average, because of his speed.

John Ross is a...????  He was nothing in track,  where a 4.22 came from???? A 10.72 his PR.

And that is the case,  guys drop in the draft over slow 40's. Some move up with a fast 40.

What seperates Alabama and the SEC from everyone else........team speed.

Edited by ZenoRazon

10 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Dri Archer was a head case.

Johnson had a solid career, he just couldn't break tackles. Without that speed he has no NFL career. A 2000 yard season, a 4.5 career average, because of his speed.

John Ross is a...????  He was nothing in track,  where a 4.22 came from???? A 10.72 his PR.

And that is the case,  guys drop in the draft over slow 40's. Some move up with a fast 40.

What seperates Alabama and the SEC from everyone else........team speed.

That's college, not the NFL.

Lol, If I didn't know he was dead, I would have swore you were Al Davis in disguise.

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

That's college, not the NFL.

Lol, If I didn't know he was dead, I would have swore you were Al Davis in disguise.

Where does the NFL get it's players?

Al Davis understood the game, he knew what superior speed did in any football game.

Sure, if a fast guy can't catch a football, has no instincts, sucks at footballl, ok. It's when ya have guys with the same ability and one runs a 4.32 and the other 4.55.

Todd Gurley and Ezekial Elliott were both stud HS hurdlers, Barkley ran track.

8 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Where does the NFL get it's players?

This doesn't mean go out an get every player in the draft that is fast though just because "speed is everything". That's the point I am trying to make here. 

11 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Al Davis understood the game, he knew what superior speed did in any football game.

And how did that work out for him? He practically took the same approach in the draft as you're suggesting here (AKA speed>>>everything else) and where did it get them?

14 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This doesn't mean go out an get every player in the draft that is fast though just because "speed is everything". That's the point I am trying to make here. 

And how did that work out for him? He practically took the same approach in the draft as you're suggesting here (AKA speed>>>everything else) and where did it get them?

There have been TONS of guys with Olympic speed that totally sucked at football, don't get me wrong.  Chris Carter was a GREAT WR, he was no speedster,  Emmitt Smith not known for zooooommmmm.  BUT......it starts with speed, and then try to find why with this guy it's not all that, make sense?

O.J.Simpson the first 2000 yard rusher,  was a WR 4x1 man, ran a 9.4.

Adrian Peterson, Eric Dickerson HS sprint stars. 

You want a fast team, a lot of team speed, you can't see that? Come on man. A bunch of slow guys covering kicks, good luck.

The Raiders won what three Superbowls?

Ask anyone who recruits and drafts about how important is that 40, see what they say.

Yes, football ability trumps speed, ok?  But when players are close in ability, guess what?

Edited by ZenoRazon

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I would argue is more accurate than Brees