Returning Corners 2019

RSkinGM

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Bradley Roby and Morris Claiborne are free agents if we do cut Norman I’d sign one of them but I wouldn’t be surprised if they just roll with the current youth movement and draft another corner to compete with them too.

Teams throw a lot of money at corners right now in the FA market.  They also spend quite a bit to lock up their own, which has precipitated free agent contracts going the way they've gone.  With the restrictions surrounding the team with cap space, I imagine they are going to steer clear of the normal high-priced commodities on the FA market, which are Corners, Pass-Rushers and Wide Receivers and try to solve those problems via the draft, trade or low risk/high reward signings that don't break the bank. 

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Teams throw a lot of money at corners right now in the FA market.  They also spend quite a bit to lock up their own, which has precipitated free agent contracts going the way they've gone.  With the restrictions surrounding the team with cap space, I imagine they are going to steer clear of the normal high-priced commodities on the FA market, which are Corners, Pass-Rushers and Wide Receivers and try to solve those problems via the draft, trade or low risk/high reward signings that don't break the bank. 

The Redskins can have $40 million in cap space or more if they cut Norman. Cap space is not an issue.

I hope we can find one of those positions in the draft too, burn we’re not going to find a new starting corner, LG, ILB, OLB and S all in one draft. We’re going to have to spend some of that $40 to 50 million after cutting Norman and re-signing the 3 or 4 guys we want to keep off this current roster. 

My guess is after re-signing Scherff, maybe Crowder and Ioannidis (If we stay in the 3-4), that we’ll have about $20 million in cap space to sign a corner like Roby or Claiborne and address a few other needs.

On 12/25/2018 at 6:44 AM, turtle28 said:

Bradley Roby and Morris Claiborne are free agents if we do cut Norman I’d sign one of them but I wouldn’t be surprised if they just roll with the current youth movement and draft another corner to compete with them too.

The Redskins are not getting top of the market talent. They're not coming to this dumpster fire of a circus. Instead, they're going to overpay for middling talent because that's all they can get due to the dysfunction tax.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The Redskins can have $40 million in cap space or more if they cut Norman. Cap space is not an issue.

I hope we can find one of those positions in the draft too, burn we’re not going to find a new starting corner, LG, ILB, OLB and S all in one draft. We’re going to have to spend some of that $40 to 50 million after cutting Norman and re-signing the 3 or 4 guys we want to keep off this current roster. 

My guess is after re-signing Scherff, maybe Crowder and Ioannidis (If we stay in the 3-4), that we’ll have about $20 million in cap space to sign a corner like Roby or Claiborne and address a few other needs.

Redskins currently have $20.7M in cap space for 2019.

That puts them at 25th out of 32 teams (1st is the Colts with $118.3M in cap space) 

This is before moves to free up space .

Now, let's assume that they free up to $40M that you're talking about. 

That only moves us up to 15th on the list.

BUT...that is if NO other team ALSO frees up their cap space. They will also surely free up space as well which will push us back down.

Salary costs are going up. The cap rises for everyone at the same rate. We're in the bottom quartile of the league in terms of cap space and will most likely stay there. So no...I disagree that "cap space is not an issue". It IS an issue.

44 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Salary costs are going up. The cap rises for everyone at the same rate. We're in the bottom quartile of the league in terms of cap space and will most likely stay there. So no...I disagree that "cap space is not an issue". It IS an issue.

Especially when Washington is going to have to pay above market prices if they want quality players due to the dysfunction tax.

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Oh well, I’d rather them only re-sign their own players anyways and continue to build through the draft. As long as they re-sign Scherff and Ioannidis- if they stay in the 3-4 D - I’m good.

Dysfunction tax, @Woz  will agree, applies to your own players too Turtle.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:36 AM, Thaiphoon said:

Dysfunction tax, @Woz  will agree, applies to your own players too Turtle.

I don’t think it does with guys like Scherff & Ioannidis. Now, if it’s a flashy position player or defensive player, I’d agree with you but the Redskins didn’t have to overpay to keep guys like Kerrigan bc they liked where they were.

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think it does with guys like Scherff & Ioannidis. Now, if it’s a flashy position player or defensive player, I’d agree with you but the Redskins didn’t have to overpay to keep guys like Kerrigan bc they liked where they were.

It absolutely applies to Scherff and Ioannidis. Ioannidis in particular has options and will be looking for starter money (and preferably with starting chances). Scherff knows what the market looks like and if things don't change, why stay when he can get well paid elsewhere?

27 minutes ago, Woz said:

It absolutely applies to Scherff and Ioannidis. Ioannidis in particular has options and will be looking for starter money (and preferably with starting chances). Scherff knows what the market looks like and if things don't change, why stay when he can get well paid elsewhere?

Sure, but that’s doesn’t mean they leave. If the Skins lock up Scherff before his deal is up, he’ll re-sign imo especially bc he’s coming off a season ending injury. I think Ioannidis stays too. I’d say guys like Scherff & Ioannidis are more in the Jon Allen camp rather than the DJ Swearinger camp. Manusky & Tomsula developed and gave Ioannidis the chance to start last year. Jay Gruden stood on the table during the 2016 draft for Ioannidis and I don’t think Ioannidis would forget that if the money is right.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Sure, but that’s doesn’t mean they leave. If the Skins lock up Scherff before his deal is up, he’ll re-sign imo especially bc he’s coming off a season ending injury. I think Ioannidis stays too. I’d say guys like Scherff & Ioannidis are more in the Jon Allen camp rather than the DJ Swearinger camp. Manusky & Tomsula developed and gave Ioannidis the chance to start last year. Jay Gruden stood on the table during the 2016 draft for Ioannidis and I don’t think Ioannidis would forget that if the money is right.

Maybe, simply because they know nothing else.

Archived