Disc golf thread

Warhorse

On 7/8/2021 at 7:54 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I saw something on reddit about a 200 foot shot that forced a playoff. Was an insane shot. I want to get back into DG but there aren't any here in Beijing. 

I was really surprised that there's no courses near Beijing. Looks like the closest would be in Baoding Shi. The sport has picked up over there, so it will eventually get to the area. Doesn't help[ much now though.

• 4 months later...

I have grown alot in disc golf in the last 5 months, my PB at my local course was around 10 over par and while its not a easy course i was not happy with that at all, now my PB is at 2 under par, my backhand has been alot better due to pick up a krait and a savant, both have been perfect discs for me.

Im about to go all innova once i get a discs near a Buzz, Zone, F5 and Scorch, Was thinking Lion or KC Roc for buzz, Rat for Zone, leopard3 for F5 and Shryke for Scorch

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, djw4bucs said:

Im about to go all innova once i get a discs near a Buzz, Zone, F5 and Scorch, Was thinking Lion or KC Roc for buzz, Rat for Zone, leopard3 for F5 and Shryke for Scorch

Make sure you like the feel of the Roc before making that change. The Roc can be a great disc, but it feels terrible in a lot of people's hands. I personally can't throw one, and I love throwing mids. 

I know a lot of people that use the Pig in place of the Zone. I know the Rat isn't nearly as overstable. 

I know the Shryke is a lot faster than the Scorch, but I think the stability matches up ok. I know a few people that use a Mystere in that slot because the speed matches up better.

Any reason to switch to one brand? It's usually a better idea to just throw what you're comfortable with, and not limit yourself, especially if you're not getting paid for it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Make sure you like the feel of the Roc before making that change. The Roc can be a great disc, but it feels terrible in a lot of people's hands. I personally can't throw one, and I love throwing mids. 

I know a lot of people that use the Pig in place of the Zone. I know the Rat isn't nearly as overstable. 

I know the Shryke is a lot faster than the Scorch, but I think the stability matches up ok. I know a few people that use a Mystere in that slot because the speed matches up better.

Any reason to switch to one brand? It's usually a better idea to just throw what you're comfortable with, and not limit yourself, especially if you're not getting paid for it. 

I have a Roc3 already and man it felt like a Sol or a Meteor it felt so understable which is while I switched to a buzz which felt a lot better.

Idk why I’m thinking about switching, I just like their discs the most but at the same time no disc will ever replace the zone for imo, so why would I limit myself. I might go mostly innova cause I love the star plastic feels better than any plastic in my hand. 
Probably gonna have 90% innova due to availability and price but for certain discs aka Buzz and Zone I will never get rid of 

30 minutes ago, djw4bucs said:

I have a Roc3 already and man it felt like a Sol or a Meteor it felt so understable which is while I switched to a buzz which felt a lot better.

Idk why I’m thinking about switching, I just like their discs the most but at the same time no disc will ever replace the zone for imo, so why would I limit myself. I might go mostly innova cause I love the star plastic feels better than any plastic in my hand. 
Probably gonna have 90% innova due to availability and price but for certain discs aka Buzz and Zone I will never get rid of 

Branch out before you make a big switch. There's so much out there now that it's harder to rely on one brand, and these smaller companies are starting to push out great stuff. I throw Trilogy stuff because of the plastics, and the rim shapes, but there's a lot worth trying out there. If you like Star plastic try stuff in Fusion/Gold Line/Tournament Plastic from Dynamic Discs/Latitude 64/Westside. Kastaplast might have the best feeling plastics out there right now. 

If you want to try something more like a Zone, a Westside Harp is the closest thing in flight. People also swear by the Kastaplast Berg, and it even has its own fan groups. A Dynamic Discs Truth is a slightly faster Buzzz, but has a very similar shape. Most people throw Innova and Discraft because they've been around the longest, but other companies have caught up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Branch out before you make a big switch. There's so much out there now that it's harder to rely on one brand, and these smaller companies are starting to push out great stuff. I throw Trilogy stuff because of the plastics, and the rim shapes, but there's a lot worth trying out there. If you like Star plastic try stuff in Fusion/Gold Line/Tournament Plastic from Dynamic Discs/Latitude 64/Westside. Kastaplast might have the best feeling plastics out there right now. 

If you want to try something more like a Zone, a Westside Harp is the closest thing in flight. People also swear by the Kastaplast Berg, and it even has its own fan groups. A Dynamic Discs Truth is a slightly faster Buzzz, but has a very similar shape. Most people throw Innova and Discraft because they've been around the longest, but other companies have caught up.

I have been wanting to try other brands in the past but they are either soo expensive on ebay or always sold out on infinite, only innova and a few dynamic discs in my town.

But as of now im pretty happy with my bag just gonna work on the discs i have and maybe when new discs come to town or become cheap i will branch out some.

6 hours ago, djw4bucs said:

I have been wanting to try other brands in the past but they are either soo expensive on ebay or always sold out on infinite, only innova and a few dynamic discs in my town.

But as of now im pretty happy with my bag just gonna work on the discs i have and maybe when new discs come to town or become cheap i will branch out some.

Infinite Discs, OTB, Disc Golf Center, Truly Unique, DZ Discs, Discovering The World, Marshall Street, Sun King, Another Round, The Disc Barn, Gotta Go Gotta Throw, and then every manufacturer sells from their site. Those are just the online shops I can think of without stopping. There’s many, many, more. The first 3 are the biggest. Truly Unique and Another Round always have stuff in plastics that nobody else gets. Discovering the World is the original, and I can remember ordering from them in ‘99-‘00

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just waiting to the weather to get warm enough to play here in Oregon. 37 degrees this morning...went anyway, but it's close!

My challenge is still Blue Lake, a local course that was built before the World Championship in 2014. 

https://www.oregonmetro.gov/news/blue-lake-disc-golf-course-has-its-moment-world-stage

My best there is still 10 over. It's 2 miles long. Lot's of OB challenges. 

bluelakemap.jpg

Edited by Warhorse

• 5 months later...

Really enjoying throwing a Starlight Roadrunner. It is stupidly understable. I use it to turn over on mando's....and shots where I have to use some serious verticle angle. I can get away with stuff I could never do with any other disc. I am right handed and had to turn it over to the right at a 50 degree angle off the ground axis. I got the disc to flatten out with a 80' rightward carry. Right under the basket......😋

Edited by Warhorse