2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

19 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Depth players are 26-53. Not 86-90. Which, I think, is @Dcash4's point. Every team recycles those bottom tier players every year with UDFAs and early year players. They're just as good, it's cheaper and yes, you might stumble upon a hidden gem. I don't see it as an indictment on the team's depth. 

Correct. There are 37 players currently that are destined to be cut from this team. Of that 53, there are probably only 43-46 roster spots you could currently consider a lock. Its just math and the NFL player pool that tells you some guys will MAKE the roster, its another thing entirely to think that they are so unhappy with Anthony Chickillo that they went out and cut Adams just to sign Tupac Shakur (sorry, I see no reason to research his name) in May to push him. 

Tupac is a depth signing on a 90 man roster to compete with the bottom fodder that will probably turn over next year anyway on a 53. The 4th/5th guys at a position. He is here to compete against the bottom depth guys, take a beating so starters/backups dont have to all summer, and ultimately update the rolodex. They cut Adams because they figured his ship has run its course and dont see upside of him continuing his journey. That's the end of the thought process. If he happens to become something, awesome. It's highly unlikely. 

James Harrison and Villy are by far the exception and not the rule. James had 2 years on a practice squad and 3 years as a backup before he became the guy we know. Villy is one of the better stories you will find, Tryouts, Army time, more tryouts, more army time, Position changes, cut again, and another position change with the best OL coach in the league. These things are not the norm. Better examples honestly are guys like Nate Washington, Willie Parker, or Ramon Foster. They were UDFA (which is also different that these late tryout signings) who got onto the backend of the rosters and found niches to help early, mostly in part to injury. James and Villy took years. 

Long winded answer, so here is the short winded one: They may not be happy with depth somewhere (again, an NFL problem), but Tupac wasn't brought in to fight Chick. He was brought in because they think he is better than Adams -- which doesnt have to mean much. But the goal is to at least try to get the best 90 guys you can to come in and want something, but thats a long way from saying he was signed to push your #3. 

44 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

After this seasom...Dupree’s a FA and Chicks cap hit is about $6 mill...Steelers backloaded his 2 year deal.

If they sign Dupree long term, I seriously doubt they’ll keep Chick around at $6 mill as a backup.

I tend to agree. I think they will have an overhaul of that room next offseason just like they did for ILB this year. 

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Depth players are 26-53. Not 86-90. Which, I think, is @Dcash4's point. Every team recycles those bottom tier players every year with UDFAs and early year players. They're just as good, it's cheaper and yes, you might stumble upon a hidden gem. I don't see it as an indictment on the team's depth. 

I wasnt limiting what i said to 86-90, but id say some of that depth will come from 54-85. Just like it does every year which is MY point. That there is more of an emphasis on potentially legit competiton for those guys at 23-53

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I wasnt limiting what i said to 86-90, but id say some of that depth will come from 54-85. Just like it does every year which is MY point. That there is more of an emphasis on potentially legit competiton for those guys at 23-53

But you responded to @Dcash4's post saying that there was little truth to his premise that the 86-90 dont make the team. Then you stated that those players are being brought in to compete with depth players which by definition are the 26-53. So I guess I'm confused.  

26 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

They shouldnt have kept Chickillo to begin with.

I’m not a fan of him either but A) they liked him at their contract offer and B)would’ve created another hole.

Its almost like a cost/benefit type of thought process.

45 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

But you responded to @Dcash4's post saying that there was little truth to his premise that the 86-90 dont make the team. Then you stated that those players are being brought in to compete with depth players which by definition are the 26-53. So I guess I'm confused.  

Yeah, i'd say you and DCash are both confused, because you have no idea what you're really discussing.

My original comment was that I believe the tryouts and udfa's were an indictment about how they feel about the overall depth of the team.  It is not true that the final 4 guys signed are guaranteed to not make the roster, because in recent past, we've seen the contrary.  

I'm guaranteeing nothing.  What I am saying is I don't think the Steelers feel as confident about their depth as people think they do, and I think it shows in the way they are approaching who they bring in and so on.  Will it amount to anything? Maybe not, but I  have felt our depth has been an issue for a while and honestly, I'd love for some of our current 53 man roster depth to fail to make the roster in favor of new blood.

10 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Yeah, i'd say you and DCash are both confused, because you have no idea what you're really discussing.

My original comment was that I believe the tryouts and udfa's were an indictment about how they feel about the overall depth of the team.  It is not true that the final 4 guys signed are guaranteed to not make the roster, because in recent past, we've seen the contrary.  

I'm guaranteeing nothing.  What I am saying is I don't think the Steelers feel as confident about their depth as people think they do, and I think it shows in the way they are approaching who they bring in and so on.  Will it amount to anything? Maybe not, but I  have felt our depth has been an issue for a while and honestly, I'd love for some of our current 53 man roster depth to fail to make the roster in favor of new blood.

We're confused? I "honestly" think you are. None of this conversation has anything to do with how confident I am in their depth. I doubt few are. You just said you weren't limiting to the last 4 guys in your previous post. Now you are saying the last 4 CAN make the roster. We are responding to your posts in order. I don't think the last 4 have a chance to make the roster or provide any competition. That's obviously not a guarantee. If you wanna expand the pool to the 53-85 then yeah, of course there may be some turnover. That isn't any different then any year. You think that the same tryouts and UDFAs that EVERY team has EVERY year is supposed to somehow show they are more worried about their depth this year. If that's the case, they should have brought in more then a couple of OLBs (4 LBs total not all of which are OLBs). Is the Steeler depth chart at Edge putrid? Yep. Do I think this year's pickups are far more important and more is expected out of them then any year prior? Of course not. You are reading to much into it I think. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

We're confused? I "honestly" think you are. None of this conversation has anything to do with how confident I am in their depth. I doubt few are. You just said you weren't limiting to the last 4 guys in your previous post. Now you are saying the last 4 CAN make the roster. We are responding to your posts in order. I don't think the last 4 have a chance to make the roster or provide any competition. That's obviously not a guarantee. If you wanna expand the pool to the 53-85 then yeah, of course there may be some turnover. That isn't any different then any year. You think that the same tryouts and UDFAs that EVERY team has EVERY year is supposed to somehow show they are more worried about their depth this year. If that's the case, they should have brought in more then a couple of OLBs (4 LBs total not all of which are OLBs). Is the Steeler depth chart at Edge putrid? Yep. Do I think this year's pickups are far more important and more is expected out of them then any year prior? Of course not. You are reading to much into it I think. 

Here's the thing I don't really care how confident you are about their deaths because that's not the comment I was making I wasn't talking about whether or not you are confident in their dad see here's the problem I've had lately with a couple of the posters on this forum. I State my opinion not on other people's opinion here but what I think could be going on underneath the surface and it apparently turns into house I'm saying something completely different than what I am. I never said anything about the opinion of D cash or chief. And by the way you are the one that said you were confused to begin with. Right now we are literally arguing over semantics

I'm saying that I'm not limiting the depth that I was talking about to the last four people signed but I feel like all of them including but not limited to the last four could potentially make the roster I'm not saying that they will I'm just saying that there's a chance that the final numbers of the 53-man roster could come from anywhere in his last 37 players including the very last people signed.

I'm really not sure why would I said was that complicated to understand. I'm not suggesting for a second that the depth on our team currently is expected to be all pro players and I'm not saying that the last 37 guys signed for training camp are going to be all pro players either that's not what I'm just guessing I'm simply saying that I feel like the difference in the way that people were chosen for tryouts into the number of trials that they have and etcetera could be somewhat of an indictment on how they feel about some of the depth meaning that they feel that that adapt needs a better level of competition this year.

33 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Here's the thing I don't really care how confident you are about their deaths because that's not the comment I was making I wasn't talking about whether or not you are confident in their dad see here's the problem I've had lately with a couple of the posters on this forum. I State my opinion not on other people's opinion here but what I think could be going on underneath the surface and it apparently turns into house I'm saying something completely different than what I am. I never said anything about the opinion of D cash or chief. And by the way you are the one that said you were confused to begin with. Right now we are literally arguing over semantics

It's becoming obvious you have issues with some posters because your posts have become increasingly rude and feel angry (imo anyways). That's relatively new for you. They didn't used to be that way. You said you don't think the Steelers are as confident in their depth as OTHERS do. I was clarifying that I am not with the OTHERS. I'm not confused by your overall stance (tho I disagree with it) but sometimes your posts ARE confusing (half the time because you text to speech and don't take any time to review and edit) and the other half seem to flip flop or change slightly then previous posts. This is a forum. If you express your opinion it is then open to be debated. You shouldn't have a problem with that nor any poster that has a different POV then you. You seem to think this year's crop of UDFAs and Minicamp Tryouts are somehow meant to serve as a message to some of the incumbents THIS YEAR. Some of us are merely pointing out that that MAY not be the case. As this year does not see any different then year's past. 

• Like 1

Heres my recap on my comments:

These moves on Monday have nothing to do with depth of the top part of the roster. Cutting Adams and signing Tupac speak towards how Adams has fallen out of favor and their desire to get another LB in there to compete against the other bottom fodder of the NFL 90 man rosters. Does that mean these guys cannot make a roster and eventually become something? No. Willie Parker was the 4th RB rookie year and only got a chance because of injury to Duce Staley. James Harrison had 5 years between college and being the starter, the first 2 spent on PS. Nate Washington didnt have an effect until year 2. 

They cut Adams and signed Tupac because they have seen enough from  Adams to know he isnt the guy, not to come push Chicki. They need LBers in camp to round our the roster and take beatings. If anything comes from those guys - fantastic, but its competition against Sutton Smith, Gilbert, and whatever the rest of the no names are at that part of the roster. 

The cut a Qb to sign a QB, a LB to sign a LB, 2 DL to sign 2 DL, and a WR for WR swap. If they were so utterly concerned with one positions depth, they would have brought more on board. They are just cutting guys they dont think have a future for different guys (which percentages say dont have a future), and signing their positions because they need numbers during this time of year. 

• Like 1

Interesting on-topic article on the Depot today. States that we are deadlast in the NFL in snaps from UDFA in the last 3 years. 

I, personally, don’t believe that means anything, but I do think it’s interesting how little impact we have gotten from UDFA in that time period. 

This draft was all about depth and speed on ST.  They got 2 players that should be ST demons in Grant and Smith.  They got an electric kick/punt returner in Johnson.  I am not even going into the ST contributions that Bush and Layne could have.

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Interesting on-topic article on the Depot today. States that we are deadlast in the NFL in snaps from UDFA in the last 3 years. 

I, personally, don’t believe that means anything, but I do think it’s interesting how little impact we have gotten from UDFA in that time period. 

I will have to see how they figured this out .  Foster is a UDFA as in Finney, Feller and Hilton.  It is not like the Steelers are not finding UDFA that can be depth on the team.