2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

What are the Steelers going to do with the kicker position?  Are we going to camp with Boswell and Mathew Wright as the only kickers?

Boz is going to be the incumbent and trusted to fix his issues.  They aren't going to have a real competition going into preseason.  If he sucks again...it will just be the Jeff Reed and Josh Scobee situation over again...he will be cut and a vet FA kicker will be signed.

18 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Boz is going to be the incumbent and trusted to fix his issues.  They aren't going to have a real competition going into preseason.  If he sucks again...it will just be the Jeff Reed and Josh Scobee situation over again...he will be cut and a vet FA kicker will be signed.

Do you agree with said solution?  I wish we would have went with someone like Cole Tracy in Round 7.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/chris-boswell-14890/

dead cap this year 6.8M, next year 3.6M.  If he is really bad, like maybe worse than 36 out of 32 kickers in the league, they might decide on absorbing the dead cap loss.  I don't know what to expect with this, maybe a poll here could have entertaining value, as his decline shocked everyone.  It shocked me as much as anyone, seeing how good he was and then whatever happened, but thats a reason not to have such a deal for a kicker. Will Colbert  ever sign a kicker to this type of deal again?

1 hour ago, DR43 said:

Do you agree with said solution?  I wish we would have went with someone like Cole Tracy in Round 7.

I wouldn't have minded drafting someone to have in our back pocket, but I'm also for giving Boswell a chance at redemption.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/chris-boswell-14890/

dead cap this year 6.8M, next year 3.6M.  If he is really bad, like maybe worse than 36 out of 32 kickers in the league, they might decide on absorbing the dead cap loss.  I don't know what to expect with this, maybe a poll here could have entertaining value, as his decline shocked everyone.  It shocked me as much as anyone, seeing how good he was and then whatever happened, but thats a reason not to have such a deal for a kicker. Will Colbert  ever sign a kicker to this type of deal again?

A lot of good kickers have had down years in their career. I'm hoping Boswell can bounce back, but if he struggles early on like he did last year, I could see him easily being cut in the first half of the season. They aren't going to risk their season on the leg of an undependable kicker. Boswell's struggles were a big part of why we missed the postseason last year.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

A lot of good kickers have had down years in their career. I'm hoping Boswell can bounce back, but if he struggles early on like he did last year, I could see him easily being cut in the first half of the season. They aren't going to risk their season on the leg of an undependable kicker. Boswell's struggles were a big part of why we missed the postseason last year.

They might have to move on but I expect them to give him a chance into the season unless he really is that bad in camp and in preseason.  Lost in all the BS o fast year was the problems with Boswell. He was near the top of the league then out of nowhere he ended up at the bottom by quite a margin.  I don't keep track, but has a kicker ever gone from near the top to the worst in a year that badly?

Just now, 3rivers said:

They might have to move on but I expect them to give him a chance into the season unless he really is that bad in camp and in preseason.  Lost in all the BS o fast year was the problems with Boswell. He was near the top of the league then out of nowhere he ended up at the bottom by quite a margin.  I don't keep track, but has a kicker ever gone from near the top to the worst in a year that badly?

I agree, so let's just hope last year was a fluke. There are a lot of good kickers who had a down year or two in their career, so let's just hope Boswell can put last year behind him, and get back to what he was.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree, so let's just hope last year was a fluke. There are a lot of good kickers who had a down year or two in their career, so let's just hope Boswell can put last year behind him, and get back to what he was.

As much as I have criticized colbert, signing Boswell was a good idea, but he overpaid and I doubt he does that again.  Tucker or Vinateri I can understand,  but that  would be about it.  The time of kicks being automatic under 30 yards are gone. Everyone watching will pay attention when Boswell is out there after last year, pressure every kick now.  Too bad since I thought they were set with Boswell for years.

I'm going to share what I think is going to be a rather unpopular opinion. I do think that Jordan Berry is our punter for 2019 in the reason I believe that after really evaluating his season last he didn't actually have that bad of a year. Now I say that with considering the possibility that he was specifically asked to directional punt rather than just kick booming kicks. If that's the case for the most part I feel like in the ladder points of the season he did really well directionally punting. To begin to season he was not good at all. Do I believe that he had a great year? Not at all. I'm just saying I think we could do worse.

51 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm going to share what I think is going to be a rather unpopular opinion. I do think that Jordan Berry is our punter for 2019 in the reason I believe that after really evaluating his season last he didn't actually have that bad of a year. Now I say that with considering the possibility that he was specifically asked to directional punt rather than just kick booming kicks. If that's the case for the most part I feel like in the ladder points of the season he did really well directionally punting. To begin to season he was not good at all. Do I believe that he had a great year? Not at all. I'm just saying I think we could do worse.

We definitely could've done worse (anyone remember Paul Ernster?), but he should've at least been made to EARN his job.  That is part of my problem with how the Steelers currently do things... too often, they don't make mediocre starters earn their job... It's just handed to them. Competition breeds excellence.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 3rivers said:

As much as I have criticized colbert, signing Boswell was a good idea, but he overpaid and I doubt he does that again.  Tucker or Vinateri I can understand,  but that  would be about it.  The time of kicks being automatic under 30 yards are gone. Everyone watching will pay attention when Boswell is out there after last year, pressure every kick now.  Too bad since I thought they were set with Boswell for years.

Did you read about Chicago Bears' kicking tryout competition? They had several guys (I want to say 10) kick it from 43 yards out. Only two made it.  You want to talk about a pressure situation?  The Bears' kicker, whoever it ends up being, is going to be under a microscope all pre-season and into the first few weeks.

I think Boswell was hurt last year, and it played into his mindset.  My hope is he will be 100% healthy this year.  The Steelers brought in a UDFA as well as McCrane to compete.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Did you read about Chicago Bears' kicking tryout competition? They had several guys (I want to say 10) kick it from 43 yards out. Only two made it.  You want to talk about a pressure situation?  The Bears' kicker, whoever it ends up being, is going to be under a microscope all pre-season and into the first few weeks.

I think Boswell was hurt last year, and it played into his mindset.  My hope is he will be 100% healthy this year.  The Steelers brought in a UDFA as well as McCrane to compete.

I never read about that. PK is not as easy now that the PAT's are further out.  For some reason PK are at a premium.  Like others here, I want Boswell to be as effective as he was in 2017 and before but who really knows what happened last year.  I still don't like the idea of blaming a kicker for losses, because so many other times during a game others could be blamed. Win and lose as a team, but if the hold is good and the surface is good (unlike oakland - no reason for this NFL) the kicker should make it. 

Remembering Gary Anderson and Defence winning formula - now times are different and so is the post season.

I believe the Steelers are going to be a better team this year. Maybe that's the homer in me talking but I think they will still have a top 10 Offense. An Offense that doesn't rely on the explosive play so much but a more conservative/ball control style that has the ability to explode from time to time. I believe the locker room will become a strength instead of a divisive weakness. I think STs will be improved upon as it relates to coverage, return yards and kicking. While the Defense will continue to be the weakest link, with Baron and Bush, they seem to have plugged the gaping hole that was previously held by arthritic slugs. The secondary has been improved upon with Nelson and perhaps Layne and a year of experience for Edmunds and Davis. It may or may not be well known, but I am usually more of a pessimist when it comes to my beloved Steelers. I am more likely to point out their weaknesses then their strengths but this year it feels different. It's a new era. The days of the "Killer B's" are over. I'm excited for what's to come. At least 10-6 with a serious run for the Title imo. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I believe the Steelers are going to be a better team this year. Maybe that's the homer in me talking but I think they will still have a top 10 Offense. An Offense that doesn't rely on the explosive play so much but a more conservative/ball control style that has the ability to explode from time to time. I believe the locker room will become a strength instead of a divisive weakness. I think STs will be improved upon as it relates to coverage, return yards and kicking. While the Defense will continue to be the weakest link, with Baron and Bush, they seem to have plugged the gaping hole that was previously held by arthritic slugs. The secondary has been improved upon with Nelson and perhaps Layne and a year of experience for Edmunds and Davis. It may or may not be well known, but I am usually more of a pessimist when it comes to my beloved Steelers. I am more likely to point out their weaknesses then their strengths but this year it feels different. It's a new era. The days of the "Killer B's" are over. I'm excited for what's to come. At least 10-6 with a serious run for the Title imo. 

Let me just say this about Sean Davis. If he shows Improvement this year then I hope we keep him but I hope we keep him on a team from the contract I'm not trying to pay him like a starter because I still believe we can go out in the drive and get a guy that can really push him for that position. But there is no doubt in my mind that Shawn Davis is a major step up from a guy like Marcus Allen or Jordan Dangerfield. A few weeks ago I predicted the Steelers opening the season 2 - 5. Now I legitimately feel confident saying we have a good shot to beat the Patriots in week 1 and we are going to be a playoff team. I'm not going to sit here and suggest that we can win a Superbowl until I see them in week 5. And yes I meant to say week 5 not Week 1 because we all know that it takes a few weeks for this team to really get going and I think you could say that for most teams. I do like what the Steelers have done on special teams and by the way even though I have been a strong advocate to the suggestion that Sutton Smith and others won't make the roster frankly I hope they all do. Heavily honestly because of what 43 said for too long this team has been just handing out positions to people and I feel like this is the first time in quite some time where some of these players who have just been handed positions for lack of better options are really going to get pushed for roster spots.