2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I’d agree if the league wasn’t year by year catering to wanting offenses to score. Building an elite defense in a league that wants points is pissing into the wind. Adjust or sink.

I think you're a little too stuck on this narrative. Yes it's a league more geared towards offense but you still have to play defense to win games. Just don't hit people in the head and play nice with the QB.

4 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

These AFC teams are building high powered offenses. We're going to need to be able to shut them down if we're gonna be competitive. Look at the Chiefs, when did they struggle most? When they played strong defenses (NE, BAL, SEA). Get ahead of the curve and build a team that can neutralize the Chiefs, Browns, Patriots, and Chargers over the AFC.

Did I really just say Browns?

I totally agree. I honestly believe offensive production is all about scheme, defense is about pure talent. Offensive success is about play-calling and scheme, defense is about organized chaos.  

I'm not saying that you should pull a Giants and say f it, lets run the ball 50 times, but I think having talented defensive players is more important than having a talented offensive players. It's why you see more defenders go in round 1 every single draft. 

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

I think you're a little too stuck on this narrative. Yes it's a league more geared towards offense but you still have to play defense to win games. Just don't hit people in the head and play nice with the QB.

I’ve never said neglect defense. I’ve been all for pass rushers to hit the QB. But what good does holding a team to 13 points if you can’t score 14?

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

With Earl on his way to Cleveland, I seriously think they can be contender in the AFC next year.  Amazing that they can rebuild, but we seemingly can't.

And they’re selling the city of Cleveland for crying out loud.

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

I totally agree. I honestly believe offensive production is all about scheme, defense is about pure talent. Offensive success is about play-calling and scheme, defense is about organized chaos.  

I'm not saying that you should pull a Giants and say f it, lets run the ball 50 times, but I think having talented defensive players is more important than having a talented offensive players. It's why you see more defenders go in round 1 every single draft. 

That jives with the rules.  Easier to play O than D in the NFL  So you better be a great athlete if your a defender.  Rules are such that a less talented WR can have an upper hand on an average CB. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ve never said neglect defense. I’ve been all for pass rushers to hit the QB. But what good does holding a team to 13 points if you can’t score 14?

Ultimately we're going to need a well-balanced team. But I think jetskid007 hit the nail on the head, offense is more about scheme and defense is more about pure athleticism and talent. It's harder to win your matchup when you don't know where the play is going unless you're physically superior.

Archived