2019 Draft Discussion

MOSteelers56

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Just because you send both doesn’t mean we blitzed. Roughly half that rushing 65% of the time came in the 2-4-5 alignment. Another 5% in a 1-4-6. I think only about 10% of the time did both go was it a blitz. 

Ok, that makes sense. Still, IDK if a 2-4-5 alignment is the best scheme to be using that often. Seems like an easy Defense to Run on and with slugs at ILB, an easy Defense to Pass on. Again, just playing Devil's Advocate here. I do think Polite is the right pick but it isn't as easy as one might think. 

14 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Move Dupree inside.  He is pretty good at pass coverage and can be an occasional blitzer.  That is if you take EDGE first.  If you get White/Wilson/Bush then they are just getting a Chick replacement and a CB in the 2nd.

Dupree wouldn’t fair well as an ILB. 

44 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Not to be that guy, but what about Watt? Move Watt and draft Polite. It won't happen but fun to theorize. 

Watt wouldn't either.

Neither of them open up their hips well.  Meaning having to drop, then turn to run with a guy would be a massive struggle for either.

14 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

In case he does drop, what are people's takes of Greedy? He's soft but he has great ball skills. He might be the game changer we've needed since Shazier, or will he be Justin Gilbert 2.0?

He's gonna be a good corner, I see him a PP-lite.  I think though he needs a pass rush in front of him.

I rather take a pass rusher in round 1, make sure we can get there and get sacks without a blitz, then take the corner in round 2.

It's why the Burns/Davis picks didn't work out.  They played with great pass rushes in college, so it hid their deficiencies.  We took them expecting them to do the same things as they did in college without the same strength up front.  I'm afraid the same things are going to happen with Edmunds too.

I'm going on record right here right now and I think that there's a chance you won't be available but the guy that I want in this draft in the first round is Byron Murphy. I believe wholeheartedly he is the most complete Corner coming into this draft yes he needs some refining on his skills all of which can be taught and I just believe he has the highest ceiling. I'm okay with getting Mack Wilson or Devin white but the guy I want is Byron Murphy.

On Edmunds I think we can all agree that pic sucked the fact that we jumped at least a full round on that pic is ridiculous. Complaining about that at this point is beating a dead horse. So what I'm going to do here cuz I'm going to attack that issue in a different way I believe that Terrell Edmunds can be a major factor on our defense but I also believe it requires us to get two New safeties. I am not discrediting Edmonds ability to play safety what I am suggesting is that Edmonds is best suited to be a sub package linebacker I believe that he can play the role in combination with another safety that Troy Polamalu did. No let me further explain this because I'm not comparing Edmonds to Troy Polamalu. What I'm saying is I believe that you're never going to have another Troy Polamalu but I believe what our defense was capable of with Troy Polamalu can be replicated but it will take more than one person to replicate that. How I feel you do that is that you get a Talent-strong safety preferably a strong safety over a free safety I think and one that is good in run support then you use admins as a sub package linebacker. You then basically have them replicate with Troy Polamalu did the strong safety can play in coverage with run support on the back end while you have the subpac linebacker Edmonds playing run support up front in the middle Zone so to speak.

With this though that you would need a free safety that is extremely strong in coverage you can play in one-on-one man coverage. I completely understand this is a perfect world scenario but this is how I feel that you're out Edmonds pick can make a difference otherwise I would just feel like it's going to be another one that didn't work out

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

In case he does drop, what are people's takes of Greedy? He's soft but he has great ball skills. He might be the game changer we've needed since Shazier, or will he be Justin Gilbert 2.0?

Physically gifted. Poor in run support and questionable effort at times.  I think he will disappoint with his speed at the combine.  I would take Baker and Murphy over Williams.

This list is MY opinion, which is often wrong.:D

CB

1) Baker

2) Murphy

3) Williams

4) Trayvon Mullen

5) Amani Oruwariye 

6) Rock-Ya Sin

7) Julian Love

Since I  am doing lists :-)

EDGE/OLB

1) Josh Allen

2) Nick Bosa

3) Jachai Polite

4) Brian Burns

5) OX Oshane Ximines

Clelin Ferrell - not sure yet where he goes.  somewhere at 3.5 for now but not sure.

where is Sweat and Ferguson?  Very stiff Hips makes me doubt that could be OLB in the NFL.  Perhaps they could be eventually become not liabilities in coverage but do you want that from a 1st round pick?

After the top 5/6 the talent drops off for OLBs.  Still decent for 4-3 DEs

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Physically gifted. Poor in run support and questionable effort at times.  I think he will disappoint with his speed at the combine.  I would take Baker and Murphy over Williams.

CB

1) Baker

2) Murphy

3) Williams

4) Trayvon Mullen

5) Amani Oruwariye 

6) Rock-Ya Sin

7) Julian Love

Let me rearrange that for you...

1) Murphy

2) Baker

2) Williams

4) Amani

5) Mullen

6) Love

6) Sin 

38 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Did anybody see how Cameron Smith from USC did at the senior bowl? The depot did a breakdown on him and it seemed pretty positive.

Didn't see the game but he is one of those interesting Edge Setter/Coverage types that can be had later. 

On 1/31/2019 at 6:44 AM, jebrick said:

Move Dupree inside.  He is pretty good at pass coverage and can be an occasional blitzer.  That is if you take EDGE first.  If you get White/Wilson/Bush then they are just getting a Chick replacement and a CB in the 2nd.

I've said this for years. He runs a fricken 4.5

Archived