BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

19 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

. Regardless rack can match any offer made or take the draft pick

This is the point people are forgetting. He doesn't have to "give" anyone anything. He tenders the player,  another owner makes a  contract offer. He then can choose to match the deal or take the tendered pick. Pretty fair.

• Like 1

Just now, Jlash said:

This is the point people are forgetting. He doesn't have to "give" anyone anything. He tenders the player,  another owner makes a  contract offer. He then can choose to match the deal or take the tendered pick. Pretty fair.

Yeah I get that but. Look at what was given to Anchorage for Kittle.

Then Lancaster is supposed to tender him as a first round and what is stopping a team from giving up one of their 4 1sts to get him back and then when you step back and really look at it, the reality is Lancaster would've given up a killing and gotten basically nothing out of it.

I'm not trying to stir up drama I'm just suggesting maybe together we can come up with an 'added option' to address these issues. Most of the time a 1st round tender is sufficient. There are rare cases imo such as this that theyre not, imo. So whatever we were to come up with, if people are willing to try, it would be seldom used imo.

26 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Then Lancaster is supposed to tender him as a first round and what is stopping a team from giving up one of their 4 1sts to get him back and then when you step back and really look at it, the reality is Lancaster would've given up a killing and gotten basically nothing out of it.

1) that's the benefit of having so many draft picks.

2) what is stopping them is the contract they offer can be matched and Lancaster gets to keep Kittle on the long term contract you're talking about.

You keep glossing over the contract part of this. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Then don’t trade more than a first for an upcoming RFA. That’s the risk you take. That’s a thing I really like about this league. The options and risks. If we start making it too easy to retain players then this becomes a pancake league. Let’s look at the flip side of this. I was in Rackcs position with him so that’s why I moved him. I was ahead of the curve. Got more than a first and now I can offer a crazy contract get him back give them back a first and have  those additional picks. I’m not going to offer him or Kupp though because I don’t want to. But I have every right to if I desired.

Rags could essentially do the same thing with Godwin and he came up Kirk and Rankins. As @Jlash pointed out whoever has the player can match any contract and at times as we’ve seen it’s better because someone offers a not crazy contract and then they match and they just got the guy for multiple years for even less than a 3up. Again the beauty in this is the risk. That’s freaking exciting. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Then don’t trade more than a first for an upcoming RFA. That’s the risk you take. That’s a thing I really like about this league. The options and risks. If we start making it too easy to retain players then this becomes a pancake league. Let’s look at the flip side of this. I was in Rackcs position with him so that’s why I moved him. I was ahead of the curve. Got more than a first and now I can offer a crazy contract get him back give them back a first and have  those additional picks. I’m not going to offer him or Kupp though because I don’t want to. But I have every right to if I desired.

I agree that you have every right to. I'm not arguing that and I'm not trying to villainize you either. 

10 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Rags could essentially do the same thing with Godwin and he came up Kirk and Rankins. As @Jlash pointed out whoever has the player can match any contract and at times as we’ve seen it’s better because someone offers a not crazy contract and then they match and they just got the guy for multiple years for even less than a 3up. Again the beauty in this is the risk. That’s freaking exciting. 

True. The team can match the offered contract. Idk why I always forget that part of it. Again though Counselor please dont think I was attacking you. I was simply using you as an example because of the plethora of picks you have. Nothing more.

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

True. The team can match the offered contract. Idk why I always forget that part of it. Again though Counselor please dont think I was attacking you. I was simply using you as an example because of the plethora of picks you have. Nothing more.

Oh I don’t feel attacked. I did nothing wrong and I know that. I like the risk of the whole RFA situation. That’s why I traded him to get more now than I would if someone offered him a contract I couldn’t match. That’s how I took on the situation. Or I could have kept him for the season let him leave and get a first, or matched a contract offer and have him locked up on my team, or no one offers and I can three up him the next season. All these options is what makes it exciting to me.

• Like 1