kurgan 2019 mock draft v.2

kurgan

Just the mock draft this time, not the whole offseason.  Pre or during combine... mostly cuz I'm bored.  Also, used the draft network's new mock draft machine!!!

Mock Trade:  Raiders get AB; Steelers get #27, #66 and #213

1.20--Nasir Adderly, FS Delaware  5'11" 200

Went a different route here. I have been hitting hard on CB help, but I wanted to see what would happen if we took the best FS in the class.  Adderly would come in and give us a pure FS, working with Davis at SS and Edmunds as the $ backer.  Give us 3 young backend guys that can be interchangable and have roles that they can be multiple in.  Love what Adderly does in coverage and is a punishing hitter.  I am not afraid of the level of comp here, the kid is a true player

1.27--Devin Bush Jr, MLB Michigan 5'11" 222

Solves the issues of linebacker.  Not the best prospect, but we will not see Devin White.  I actually like Bush better than Wilson, as he is more active and seems like a better football player.  Can play all 3 downs, and is massive in run support and in zone drops.  Can help sideline to sideline and start to maybe start to look to replace Shazier.

2.52--Riley Ridley, WR UGA  UGA 6'2" 200 

I know that I am a homer here, but I think Ridley is made for Pittsburgh.  A true X alpha receiver, his lack of reps is not a worry.  Late in the year, he was unstoppable once he got in phase with Fromm.  He will not replace AB, but is is part of the solution.  He takes one side, Washington can take the other, and Juju can go back to the slot in an ideal world.  I know he may not actually be here (he was in this mock) but this is the spot I would take the WR.  Deebo was gone, but I also looked at Hakeem Butler.

3.66--Trayvon Mullen, CB Clemson 6'2" 190

With the other Raiders pick, take the CB here.  Mullen is a prospect that has a lot of hot and cold reactions.  Love his length and style, but his production is suspect.  Great coaching will make him better here, and while it is a little late for ME to take a CB here, I like the value.

3.83--Oshane Ximines, EDGE ODU  6'3" 247

As I did this exercise, I am overwhelmed about how shallow the edge class is.  OX is the really the last guy that I am even a bit excited about.  A true pass rusher, he is great at getting to the passer and making an impact.  Again, with the knowledge that Dupree is gonna play year 5 makes Edge not a huge need, he can develop a year and take over next year.

4.116--Montrae Hartage, CB Northwestern 6'0" 195

A guy that has really worked to get where he is.  2 star out of high school, Hartage works well and is a true student of the game.  He is good in phase and gets the most out of his physical abilities.  I look at this pick as not only doubling up, but getting the opposite of the guys that we usually draft.  He is the definition of the guy that may not have elite measurables, but is a player.

6.162--James Williams, RB Washington State  5'11" 195

Looking for a difference maker and a type of back that we do not have.  Williams is a guy that has skills and talents that we don't have on the roster.  As an Air Raid running back, he has skills in pass pro and elite receiver skills.  Has over 220 catches in college and also rushed for 12 touchdowns, showing his toughness as well.  He is not an elite top end running back, but brings skills to the table that are not on our roster right now.  The idea of him on 3rd downs with his skill set would scare other DCs.

6.179--Terrone Prescod, OG NC State  6'5" 331

Old school, in line road grader OG.  Blocked for Samuels and familiar with the new RB coach.  A killer in run blocking and pretty decent in pass blocking.  Would provide some depth for the IOL and some long term comp for the guard depth for Foster either this year or in the upcoming year.  Plus a throwback, old school Steeler draft pick

7.197--Bryon Cowart, EDGE Maryland  6'4" 270

OK... this is a pick that I have been wanting to make for a long time.  This guy was the #1 overall high school player 4 years ago.  Went to Auburn and had some issues.  He had an OK freshman season, an offseason arrest, an appendectomy during his sophomore season, and then a disagreement with the coaching staff that made him leave junior year and go back home to take care of mom.  Blossomed his senior year after going to Maryland, he showed flashes of what he was meant to be coming out of high school.  Even with the drama at Maryland, Cowart was the grownup and a lot of players leaned on him for guidance.  He was a great interview at the Senior Bowl, and even though his play was not the best, he should at least be worth a 7th round flyer.  He is a guy that might have taken a couple of extra years to get his head right, but with some luck, could be a long term type of guy.

7.213--Jalen Hurd, WR Baylor  6'4" 229

Another want-to pick here and the last of the Raiders haul.  I hated Hurd at Tennessee as he was a great power back.  He left and went to Baylor and transitioned to a WR with some great stats.  He is a project player that will not work out at the combine at all, but if he can get coached up and organized with some great coaching, he has the size/speed measurables to be a true gamebreaker and a weapon that Ben would love to work with.

OK, so addressed secondary, LB and Edge, while drafting a couple of guys to help ease the load of losing AB.  Adderly, Mullen and Hartage can compete day one, revamping the secondary.  Bush can work with VWill and be the pair that start the season in the box, with Bush taking over as the guy that stays on the field in almost all circumstances.  OX can help behind Dupree and Watt, hopefully developing long term.  Williams can make the roster as the change of pace back, Prescod as a depth player, and Cowart and Hurd as developmental guys.

Trading AB nets us Bush, Mullen and Hurd directly, which I am OK with.  Add in some free agent slots, and I think I did OK here.

Adderly was the crux of this mock, as I wanted to see how I could build without a first round CB as I always take.

Thoughts??????

Dont know alot about the players except for a few, but I could live with the positions.

The safety....is he a good centerfielding safety?   Thats the only way Id be interested in him with a first round pick?   Tired of us drafting/signing physical safeties with mediocre coverage and no ball skills.

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The safety....is he a good centerfielding safety?   Thats the only way Id be interested in him with a first round pick?   Tired of us drafting/signing physical safeties with mediocre coverage and no ball skills

Yes... the best in the class.  He is a true deep safety.  Played all over for Delaware, but projects to FS.  Physical, and most important, a playmaker

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-delaware-s-nasir-adderley/

On 2/26/2019 at 1:23 PM, kurgan said:

Just the mock draft this time, not the whole offseason.  Pre or during combine... mostly cuz I'm bored.  Also, used the draft network's new mock draft machine!!!

Mock Trade:  Raiders get AB; Steelers get #27, #66 and #213

Not sure that the Raiders would give up that much, but they have and are collecting #1's, so maybe.  I would like this as a Steelers fan.

1.20--Nasir Adderly, FS Delaware  5'11" 200

Went a different route here. I have been hitting hard on CB help, but I wanted to see what would happen if we took the best FS in the class.  Adderly would come in and give us a pure FS, working with Davis at SS and Edmunds as the $ backer.  Give us 3 young backend guys that can be interchangable and have roles that they can be multiple in.  Love what Adderly does in coverage and is a punishing hitter.  I am not afraid of the level of comp here, the kid is a true player.

A name that I have been seeing moving up the boards more and more since the end of the college season. I have not looked at any tape on him and I will also see how he looks in drills at the Combine.  I am not adverse to this pick and I like what we can do with three safeties in our scheme. I think our base defense can be more effective using four DL's, two LB's and five DB's. Many would argue that point, but having a modified Nickel suits today's pass happy/run against traditional Nickel or Dime defenses.  I still would kick the tires on Tre Boston.  If not, this would fill the void.  What are your thoughts on last year's pick SS Marcus Allen?

1.27--Devin Bush Jr, MLB Michigan 5'11" 222

Solves the issues of linebacker.  Not the best prospect, but we will not see Devin White.  I actually like Bush better than Wilson, as he is more active and seems like a better football player.  Can play all 3 downs, and is massive in run support and in zone drops.  Can help sideline to sideline and start to maybe start to look to replace Shazier.

We need more of a traditional 4-3 middle LB who can drop in coverage.  Again, we play so many modified/specialty defenses that we are not in the true 3-4 base very often.

I will be looking at film and doing research on players.  The 5'11 height doesn't scare me, but can he move and does he have football instincts?

2.52--Riley Ridley, WR UGA  UGA 6'2" 200 

I know that I am a homer here, but I think Ridley is made for Pittsburgh.  A true X alpha receiver, his lack of reps is not a worry.  Late in the year, he was unstoppable once he got in phase with Fromm.  He will not replace AB, but is is part of the solution.  He takes one side, Washington can take the other, and Juju can go back to the slot in an ideal world.  I know he may not actually be here (he was in this mock) but this is the spot I would take the WR.  Deebo was gone, but I also looked at Hakeem Butler.

I have seen him play a few times and have seen a few interviews on him and he seems like a solid player and good guy off the field. Fits the need and has some height as well.

3.66--Trayvon Mullen, CB Clemson 6'2" 190

With the other Raiders pick, take the CB here.  Mullen is a prospect that has a lot of hot and cold reactions.  Love his length and style, but his production is suspect.  Great coaching will make him better here, and while it is a little late for ME to take a CB here, I like the value.

I don't know a lot about him, but will get around to doing more research.  I thought he was a higher rated CB, so the value would be great if that is the case.

3.83--Oshane Ximines, EDGE ODU  6'3" 247

As I did this exercise, I am overwhelmed about how shallow the edge class is.  OX is the really the last guy that I am even a bit excited about.  A true pass rusher, he is great at getting to the passer and making an impact.  Again, with the knowledge that Dupree is gonna play year 5 makes Edge not a huge need, he can develop a year and take over next year.

You are hitting all of the points of need on the team. 

4.116--Montrae Hartage, CB Northwestern 6'0" 195

A guy that has really worked to get where he is.  2 star out of high school, Hartage works well and is a true student of the game.  He is good in phase and gets the most out of his physical abilities.  I look at this pick as not only doubling up, but getting the opposite of the guys that we usually draft.  He is the definition of the guy that may not have elite measurables, but is a player.

6.162--James Williams, RB Washington State  5'11" 195

Looking for a difference maker and a type of back that we do not have.  Williams is a guy that has skills and talents that we don't have on the roster.  As an Air Raid running back, he has skills in pass pro and elite receiver skills.  Has over 220 catches in college and also rushed for 12 touchdowns, showing his toughness as well.  He is not an elite top end running back, but brings skills to the table that are not on our roster right now.  The idea of him on 3rd downs with his skill set would scare other DCs.

6.179--Terrone Prescod, OG NC State  6'5" 331

Old school, in line road grader OG.  Blocked for Samuels and familiar with the new RB coach.  A killer in run blocking and pretty decent in pass blocking.  Would provide some depth for the IOL and some long term comp for the guard depth for Foster either this year or in the upcoming year.  Plus a throwback, old school Steeler draft pick

7.197--Bryon Cowart, EDGE Maryland  6'4" 270

OK... this is a pick that I have been wanting to make for a long time.  This guy was the #1 overall high school player 4 years ago.  Went to Auburn and had some issues.  He had an OK freshman season, an offseason arrest, an appendectomy during his sophomore season, and then a disagreement with the coaching staff that made him leave junior year and go back home to take care of mom.  Blossomed his senior year after going to Maryland, he showed flashes of what he was meant to be coming out of high school.  Even with the drama at Maryland, Cowart was the grownup and a lot of players leaned on him for guidance.  He was a great interview at the Senior Bowl, and even though his play was not the best, he should at least be worth a 7th round flyer.  He is a guy that might have taken a couple of extra years to get his head right, but with some luck, could be a long term type of guy.

7.213--Jalen Hurd, WR Baylor  6'4" 229

Another want-to pick here and the last of the Raiders haul.  I hated Hurd at Tennessee as he was a great power back.  He left and went to Baylor and transitioned to a WR with some great stats.  He is a project player that will not work out at the combine at all, but if he can get coached up and organized with some great coaching, he has the size/speed measurables to be a true gamebreaker and a weapon that Ben would love to work with.

OK, so addressed secondary, LB and Edge, while drafting a couple of guys to help ease the load of losing AB.  Adderly, Mullen and Hartage can compete day one, revamping the secondary.  Bush can work with VWill and be the pair that start the season in the box, with Bush taking over as the guy that stays on the field in almost all circumstances.  OX can help behind Dupree and Watt, hopefully developing long term.  Williams can make the roster as the change of pace back, Prescod as a depth player, and Cowart and Hurd as developmental guys.

Trading AB nets us Bush, Mullen and Hurd directly, which I am OK with.  Add in some free agent slots, and I think I did OK here.

Adderly was the crux of this mock, as I wanted to see how I could build without a first round CB as I always take.

Thoughts??????

Unfortunately, I can't provide any feedback on the college players yet as I have not been the draftnik that I was some years ago.  I will need to do a lot of catching up when I get some time in the evenings, weekend, etc. I will initially focus on positions of need with the Steelers (ILB, CB, Edge, WR, TE, OG). I would have looked to add a OG or TE, unless you are addressing those in free agency.  The RB looks like a potential steal there and the type of RB that I would add to contrast the styles of Connor and Samuels.  Not sure about drafting two WR's. I would rather sign a veteran for insurance with the youth of Ju Ju, Washington, Rogers and Switzer.  Again, if you draft Ridley there is a need for an established veteran and not another potential young guy.  I personally like Justin Hunter, but he has not done anything in regular season consistently to give me confidence in him being a veteran that the team can depend on. You don't easily replace an AB, but I think you can get a veteran who can do one or two things that he did well and use him along with another player or two to help.

Solid job and solid input.

I like it. I understand trying a different position in the 1st but would still prefer one of the top 3 cb there. Like mentioned before a guy like Boston could be a good pickup to help play centerfield. The market for safties in FA has been very reasonable the last few years while good cbs get big bucks. If we addressed the fs spot with Boston and 2nd cb with the 1st. And another cb on day 2 our secondary gets a huge boost in needed talent.

Archived