BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

It can easily be a discussion after.  A three round playoffs works on a 10 gm, 12 gm or 14 gm schedule 

A two team playoffs works on a 10"12 or 14 week schedule 

And the downside to discussing playoffs before voting is....?

I can tell you what the downside to your way is. "Well I would vote for reducing the playoff teams but we already voted to reduce the regular season."

This discussion is a package deal, like it or not.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Whicker, your opinions do matter and I am genuinely listening to them.

Here's my deal.  One of the reasons I love BDL is the interaction with y'all most all year.  And a big part of that is the fun of game planning for an opponent and trying to make that playoff push at the end(for y'all at least).  BDL is alive due to the activity of the owners.  So I am very hesitant to take steps that I fear are going to naturally reduce our interactions with each other. 

That said, there is obviously a sweet spot between having consistent activity and wearing people out.  That's why I put up Proposal 35.  I am hoping it will give everyone a break over Thanksgiving to reduce the grind while not cutting down on the how much we go up against each other.  In my mind, if we can reduce a fair amount of the grind while not reducing match ups, that is a win-win.

If Prop 35 passes this year, and it does not have the desired effect, then I'll be all for cutting the season by a couple of games.  Maybe cutting a couple games will actually make people more active in terms of game planning and commenting.  We all get worn down a bit by the end of the year, and I do believe that something needs to be done to reduce that a bit.  There's no way to eliminate it, but that's something I actually enjoy about BDL.

I'm just worried that cutting games and playoff teams will reduce how much we interact with each other which is my favorite part of the league.  Hell, I've met a number of you and could show up and crash with most of you(sorry new guys, we aren't quite there yet).  That's why, while I am listening to you and understand exactly where you are coming from, I am not willing to take that step this offseason.  

Prop 35 is fine in terms of the regular season starting in P4. It does not address the concern here which is the number of playoff teams. I am not voting for anything until a proper discussion on the playoffs is had.

And you may be listening but I do not feel that, in this instance, my idea was cared about at all. How do you think PR would have felt if Ted had moved on past his player retirement proposal without any discussion at all? How would anyone feel if the idea they had been championing for several MONTHS now was glossed over at the one moment in time where I get to air my thoughts?

You all can claim all you want that I am being listened to, but the actions in this thread say otherwise. Every time I brought up playoffs, someone pushed it aside. Then all of a sudden we're calling a vote. Then, when I bring up that we haven't talked, I get a no vote immediately. Uncool.

2 minutes ago, Whicker said:

And the downside to discussing playoffs before voting is....?

I can tell you what the downside to your way is. "Well I would vote for reducing the playoff teams but we already voted to reduce the regular season."

This discussion is a package deal, like it or not.

I for one, wont vote for a sorter regular season.

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

Or lose for the 3rd time to your biggest rival because people think your Carr will turn over despite tying the week earlier.

So what is your proposal? I wouldn't mind going down to 6 playoff teams to match the NFL 

My proposal is to make it where we don't have 50% of the teams make the playoffs. My proposal is that we actually have drama at the end of the year in the playoff race instead of everyone who wanted to make it making it. My proposal is that we actually have a meaningful first round of playoffs where games aren't decided before they're played.

2 minutes ago, BringinDaPain said:

I for one, wont vote for a sorter regular season.

And that's fine. That's your opinion and you get to vote. This isn't about getting my way or anyone's way.

My concern here is that I have been wanting this for months. I was told to put it on the dockett for the owner's meeting. When it came up, I talked about it, but it was pushed aside for "later." Once "later" came, a vote was called for immediately. When I brought up that we had not yet had even one iota of a chance to provide argumentation, I was shut down with a no vote.

My anger stems only from the fact that I have been disallowed and shut down when talking about reduction of playoffs. Repeatedly.

#2 OKC vs #7 Hawaii - 8-2

#1 Orlando vs #8 Long Beach - 11-2

#3 Rome vs #6 Ivory Coast - 13-1

#4 Seoul vs #5 Louisiana - 9-3

The first round of our playoffs already do not exist. The games are determined before writeups are sent in.

Parity does not exist in this league. We do not have a system of determining randomness for outcomes that differ from expectations. The regular season is well enough time to determine legitimate contenders, cinderella stories, and bad teams. One extra round of playoffs does nothing to alter who the best teams are that year.

Your proposal has some merit. I will acknowledge those 1 v 8 playoff matchups have been closer to me than others. It’s nearly impossible to get half voters to vote the lesser team which is respectable over BDL history.

8 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Prop 35 is fine in terms of the regular season starting in P4. It does not address the concern here which is the number of playoff teams. I am not voting for anything until a proper discussion on the playoffs is had.

And you may be listening but I do not feel that, in this instance, my idea was cared about at all. How do you think PR would have felt if Ted had moved on past his player retirement proposal without any discussion at all? How would anyone feel if the idea they had been championing for several MONTHS now was glossed over at the one moment in time where I get to air my thoughts?

You all can claim all you want that I am being listened to, but the actions in this thread say otherwise. Every time I brought up playoffs, someone pushed it aside. Then all of a sudden we're calling a vote. Then, when I bring up that we haven't talked, I get a no vote immediately. Uncool.

I would potentially be willing to go to 6 teams for the playoffs if it meant approving Prop 35.  But just last year, our 7th? seeded team went on to win.  That doesn't happen under your system.  

I have been paying attention, but I was hoping to resolve the scheduling issue and week 17 issue before moving on to playoffs.  I feel like those two things are separate.  I've been hoping for an official vote on Prop 35, Prop 36, and PR's idea before we get there.  Just want us to handle one issue before going to the next.  

6 minutes ago, Whicker said:

My proposal is to make it where we don't have 50% of the teams make the playoffs. My proposal is that we actually have drama at the end of the year in the playoff race instead of everyone who wanted to make it making it. My proposal is that we actually have a meaningful first round of playoffs where games aren't decided before they're played.

Well, would it create more drama, or would it decrease drama as fewer teams had a chance to get in to the playoffs and were eliminated earlier?

What team "missed" the playoffs this year. As in, what legitimate contender did we have to say "tough ****, better luck next year" to?

Not one.

Gotham gave up half way through the year and he knew he wasn't going to make it.

Camden and Berlin had QB issues and knew they weren't going to make it.

Sydney and Portland were among the worst teams last year and knew they weren't going to make it.

Cuba? Cuba is the only team that was disappointed by their regular season performance last year IMO

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Actually a number seven seed just won the championship this year so they would miss the playoffs altogether by shrinking the amount of teams in the tournament.

I'm afraid to really comment on this because it was my team involved and I don't want to sound salty.

But Hawaii did not deserve to win that game. They fielded THREE TOTAL CORNERBACKS against a team who's fourth WR is a #1 WR in the NFL. The only reason Hawaii won was because of Cam Newton's injury. That is the only reason. If Newton had been healthy, the score of the game would have equally as lopsided, and the argumentation would have been the same.

Hawaii should have missed the playoffs last year. Week 1 they made a major coaching error that cost them a winnable game. IMO, Hawaii should look back at that and say "damn, if I had just done a little thing different, I would have made the playoffs and maybe won a championship!"

Hawaii, IMO, is not at all a reason why a 7 seed should make it

1 minute ago, Whicker said:

But Hawaii did not deserve to win that game. They fielded THREE TOTAL CORNERBACKS against a team who's fourth WR is a #1 WR in the NFL. The only reason Hawaii won was because of Cam Newton's injury. That is the only reason. If Newton had been healthy, the score of the game would have equally as lopsided, and the argumentation would have been the same.

I voted against Hawaii in their final two games for similar reasons so that’s a fair point.

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Well, would it create more drama, or would it decrease drama as fewer teams had a chance to get in to the playoffs and were eliminated earlier?

Do you have any examples of this? I think PR's gameplans last year are about as bad as we'll get in this regard and they were plenty acceptable.

Gotham gave up halfway through the season despite being in the thick of the playoff race. You, MD4L, and JLash put out quality gameplans even after being eliminated.

I've said it before in mafia and I'll say it again here. The activity level of someone is much, much, much more indicative of what's going on with them IRL.

5 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Cuba? Cuba is the only team that was disappointed by their regular season performance last year IMO

I put a much higher value on writeups than every other owner. Also, guys were able to add guys on short notice to implement them into full time roles was something I usually call out to success that didn’t continue this season.

Archived