BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

1 minute ago, Whicker said:

I am going for the reduction of the number of playoff teams.

My ideal number is 4, yes. But I am arguing for 5, 6, and 7 as well.

5&7 does not equally represent both conferences. It is 4 or 6. 

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I will never ever go for four.

6 at least makes some sense because it's half the number of NFL playoff teams and we are half the number of NFL franchises.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, PR said:

5&7 does not equally represent both conferences. It is 4 or 6. 

Baseball conferences each send 5 teams. And it used to be 4. The NFL has long considered expanding to 7 teams per conference.

4, 5, 6, and 7 are all viable options and will all produce a deserving winner

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/6/14/17461568/baseball-realignment-expansion-teams-portland-montreal-charlotte

Please, please don’t give us eight playoff teams in every league.

Please, please don’t give us wild cards for the sake of wild cards, especially if it includes convoluted solutions like two different sudden-death games in each league to see who gets to the second Divisional Series, or two best-of-three series to figure that out, with the best record in baseball taking an extended hiatus while it all gets sorted out.

Four divisions. Four postseason teams. Don’t outthink yourselves.

One of the benefits of the wild card(s) is that it keeps teams in contention for longer. So would four divisions in each league. One of the benefits to an expanded postseason is that there are extra games with the wild card. A solution to that would be to make the LDS a best-of-seven, which would be possible with a shorter schedule.

There wouldn’t be a great reason to go for a gimmicky solution just to keep the second wild card. The second wild card has been around for six years, now. We’re not that attached to it, I promise.

Before that, there were four postseason teams in each league. It worked.

Baseball worked with 4 of 16. It worked with 5 of 16.

NFL is working currently with 6 of 16. The NFL has considered going to 7 of 16 multiple times.

A four division structure with four teams each produces four division winners. We can add X amount of wildcards, just as we do now.

Playoff restructure does not require league restructure. Nor does it require any kind of equal representation among divisions or conferences. The West division put three teams in the playoffs this year. The East put one. In fact, if you want to argue for equal representation, four is the only option with our current structure.

@Whicker just stop please

1. You're basically arguing with yourself here

2. Playoff reduction is an item that will be discussed. In fact it's the following item after schedule. Now we were discussing schedule reduction. Aside from going to 4 team or less playoff, reduction of the playoff field would not impact the schedule since you'd still need a 3 week playoffs.

Now if you want a 4 team playoff and had a proposal for league schedule including a 2 week playoff, I must have missed it so please point me back to it. If not, please elaborate one. 

4 hours ago, Whicker said:

Baseball conferences each send 5 teams. And it used to be 4. The NFL has long considered expanding to 7 teams per conference.

4, 5, 6, and 7 are all viable options and will all produce a deserving winner

But that expands playoffs. Baseball does it because there is a one game wild card before they move into the 5 game and 7 game series. By histing a wild card you are pro longing this at minimum a week for additional weeks of playoffs.

4 hours ago, Whicker said:

Baseball worked with 4 of 16. It worked with 5 of 16.

NFL is working currently with 6 of 16. The NFL has considered going to 7 of 16 multiple times.

A four division structure with four teams each produces four division winners. We can add X amount of wildcards, just as we do now.

Playoff restructure does not require league restructure. Nor does it require any kind of equal representation among divisions or conferences. The West division put three teams in the playoffs this year. The East put one. In fact, if you want to argue for equal representation, four is the only option with our current structure.

Having 3 team from each conference is still 6. Two conference winners, last one being highest record. Equal representation from conferebce does not mean equal representation from divisions.

4 hours ago, TedLavie said:

2. Playoff reduction is an item that will be discussed. In fact it's the following item after schedule. Now we were discussing schedule reduction. Aside from going to 4 team or less playoff, reduction of the playoff field would not impact the schedule since you'd still need a 3 week playoffs.

Now if you want a 4 team playoff and had a proposal for league schedule including a 2 week playoff, I must have missed it so please point me back to it. If not, please elaborate one. 

21 hours ago, MD4L said:

You always have a platform and we can use more activity during the playoffs. Help yourself.

21 hours ago, MD4L said:

Use it @Whicker. If we dislike it we move on. It’s never personal on here.

3 hours ago, PR said:

But that expands playoffs. Baseball does it because there is a one game wild card before they move into the 5 game and 7 game series. By histing a wild card you are pro longing this at minimum a week for additional weeks of playoffs.

Huh?

We currently have four division winners and four wildcards. I am suggesting removing 1-4 of these wildcard spots

4 hours ago, TedLavie said:

On 3/13/2019 at 5:05 PM, Whicker said:

This is where I'm at as well.

Weeks 1-16. 12 game schedule. Bye during week 12.

I'd prefer we go down to 4 teams and make it weeks 2-16 but that's for the next topic.

If we are sticking to more games, I'd prefer to move into the preseason. I think P3 and P4 is better than P4 and Week 17.

3 hours ago, PR said:

Having 3 team from each conference is still 6. Two conference winners, last one being highest record. Equal representation from conferebce does not mean equal representation from divisions.

I get that, but I'm not necessarily suggesting realignment. In fact I'd say keep the current league structure in terms of divisions.

Archived