Landon Collins to Washington

MikeT14

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

What?  How does this have anything to do with Landon Collins?  I guess to answer your question though, QBs are SIGNIFICANTLY more valuable than Safeties.  A "2nd tier" QB is going to win you a lot more games in this league than a HOF Safety would.  That is just the nature of their positions.  One has the ball in their hands every play, the other can impact only a few plays in a game.  

edit - you also missed my point entirely, I was arguing we shouldn't be trying to make anyone the highest paid player in history.  Rather we should be trying to spread out our cap to have a deep roster.  

I also never saw that you said you were okay with paying Cousins $84m guaranteed. IIRC, you were on the too much money train at that point.

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I also never saw that you said you were okay with paying Cousins $84m guaranteed. IIRC, you were on the too much money train at that point.

The whole discussion of Cousins as a player and his contract is such a deep rabbit hole its not really worth discussing in this thread.  To summarize my position though, at the time (and now), no I wouldn't have been thrilled giving Cousins the contract the Vikings gave him.  However, I would have preferred giving Cousins that contract over trading a 3rd round pick and Fuller for Alex Smith, and then giving Alex Smith the ridiculous contract we gave him.  Ideally I wanted us to just go full rebuild and draft our own QB. 

Basically I think we did the absolute worst of all scenarios, trading resources for a limited older QB, giving him too much money, and extending this ridiculous notion that we're somehow a contender with the current roster.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Don't think anyone here was okay with giving Cousins $84M guaranteed. That's why even those who liked him, didn't want to pay up.

Also, even $84M to a QB rather than a S is a play that is made more often. Simply because of the different pay scale for the positions.

But please continue erecting your straw man that everyone is fine paying Cousins (seriously - can you attempt to make your point without throwing in another player no one else is talking about?) all that money.

straw-man-meme.jpg

Slim Eli Manning is making more than alot of players better than him. Both at his position as well outside. You guys agree with this metric system, I Don't. Agree to Disagree. You brung Cousins in this I didn't. 

Edited by Skins212689

42 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Slim Eli Manning is making more than alot of players better than him. Both at his position as well outside. You guys agree with this metric system, I Don't. Agree to Disagree. You brung Cousins in this I didn't. 

Actually you brought it up:

5 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

It's ok to with you to give second tier QBs top notch guaranteed money but it's not ok to give 1st tier Safeties top notch guaranteed money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Cousins name isn't mentioned! 

While true, given the sensitive nature this forum (and the Washington fanbase as a whole) has with Cousins, it felt like a subtext of your message. If unintentional, whoops. If intentional, why are you complaining now? :D

17 minutes ago, Woz said:

While true, given the sensitive nature this forum (and the Washington fanbase as a whole) has with Cousins, it felt like a subtext of your message. If unintentional, whoops. If intentional, why are you complaining now? :D

Woz be the moderater and please don't instigate this situation. 

Edited by Skins212689

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Don't think anyone here was okay with giving Cousins $84M guaranteed. That's why even those who liked him, didn't want to pay up.

Also, even $84M to a QB rather than a S is a play that is made more often. Simply because of the different pay scale for the positions.

But please continue erecting your straw man that everyone is fine paying Cousins (seriously - can you attempt to make your point without throwing in another player no one else is talking about?) all that money.

straw-man-meme.jpg

Considering we gave Alex Smith $70 million guaranteed and gave up other assets for him, $84 million was a bargain in comparison. 

• Like 2

I'M not replying to anything else about this situation after this. I agree We disagree on QBs getting more money than other positions even if the QB isn't on the same level as others. So you guys are fine paying a All Pro SS, TE, WR, RB, FS, ect less than a average QB just because he's a QB. I'M not! Cousins nor Eli should be getting more money than some of their teammates when they aren't as good as thier teammates! 

If you dont agree you dont agree and I'm fine with that. Life will continue and none of us can get Smiths 70 million, Collins 45 million, or Cousins 84 million. 

6 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I'M not replying to anything else about this situation after this. I agree We disagree on QBs getting more money than other positions even if the QB isn't on the same level as others. So you guys are fine paying a All Pro SS, TE, WR, RB, FS, ect less than a average QB just because he's a QB. I'M not! Cousins nor Eli should be getting more money than some of their teammates when they aren't as good as thier teammates! 

If you dont agree you dont agree and I'm fine with that. Life will continue and none of us can get Smiths 70 million, Collins 45 million, or Cousins 84 million. 

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, it's how NFL teams value each position, and what they are willing to spend for each position.  If you want a good "guide" to that, check out the franchise tag values every year.  It's the average of the top salaries at each position, thus, what teams are valuing their players at.  

• Like 1