OLB/Edge Class Thoughts

kurgan

I am struggling with the Edge/OLB group in regards to scouting.  I realize now that with Dupree in his last year, this is a position (in addition to CB) that we need to address early.  But, I am left feeling empty when I look at this group.

Obviously, I would feel awesome if Bosa, Burns or Allen fell, as I would take them at #20 with no issue, but that is not likely to happen.  So, looking at the other guys in low 1/high 2 range, they have issues:

Ferrell--too big, not a scheme fit

Sweat--not bendy, not a scheme fit

Gary--not a set position, more of a 5 tech tweener

Polite--head case, doesn't run defend

So... looking on down... I see two guys in mid-late 2 that I really like for us that I would love to get some feedback on.  Chase Winovich and Christian Miller.

I've seen some of the posts about Winovich and we are mixed between starter and basically another Chickillo.  I think the mean is mean, and he is a high motor, high character guy that will stop the run, do some good stuff in the pass rush, and work real hard.

Miller is an enigma in that he hasn't played alot, but his skills and measurables are outstanding.  But, I love what I see when he plays.  High pedigree, hard worker, Bama guy.

In addition, looking down further, I see some other guys that I like as developmental guys that could learn a year and then maybe be in the mix.  These are guys are OX from ODU and Maxx Crosby from Eastern Michigan.  Both play the part of big time 3-4 OLB with pass rush motors and run defense.

Thoughts??

Gary's future in the NFL is a 3-tech DT.  He will be great there.

You can put in Burns but he will be gone as well.

Here is a pretty good article to chew on.  It breaks down strength and weaknesses for the top 9 EDGE players

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/ledyard--2019-nfl-draft-edge-defender-rankings

I'll cut to the bottom:

1. Bosa - Round 1

2. Burns - Round 1

3. Allen - Round 1

4. Ferrell - Round 2

5. Sweat - Round 2

6. Polite - Round 2

7. Winovich - Mid Day 2

8. Gary - Mid Day 2

9. Miller - Mid Day 2

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

"Not a scheme fit" is a lexicon that can die

lol.. OK... not suited for 3-4 defenses??  Ummmm... ONLY 4-3 pass rushers.... Ohhh... gotcha... hand in the dirt 7-9 techs....

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Gary's future in the NFL is a 3-tech DT.  He will be great there.

You can put in Burns but he will be gone as well.

Here is a pretty good article to chew on.  It breaks down strength and weaknesses for the top 9 EDGE players

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/ledyard--2019-nfl-draft-edge-defender-rankings

I agree, but his versitility is key.  He can play some 5 tech as well.

I did... him, Bosa and Allen will be long gone.

I read that article (love the site, BTW), and that is actually what started this process for me.  Well, that and realizing that with Barron signing, we are not married to drafting Bush in the 1st (thank God).  And... you have to take into context that those draft dudes don't really rank them in traditional rounds (they have said on their podcast that only 15-20 are first round grades for them, on the most part).  From most of what I have seen, Ferrell, Sweat, and Gary have been round 1 guys, and some have been having Polite bounce back.  For sure, they will not be there at 2.52...

I got to thinking, who would best suit Pittsburgh??  I mean, if an Edge "fell", who would it be and would they be a good fit for us??  I would make the argument that if the four guys I mentioned above, none would be who I would want at #20.  Basically, for me, all four are off the board at 20.

Saying, in less words... I'd rather have Miller or Winovich at 2.52 than those four at 1.20...

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What I mean about that lexicon can die is stop being so worried about scheme. Get the best players you can and figure out how you can use them in their best spots. More teams need to start doing that. 

DOWN HEATHEN!!  SAINT CHUCK PUT IN THE 3-4 AND THOUS SHALL NOT CHANGE THE ORDERS OF SAINT CHUCK!!

:D

If Ferrell is there at 20 I would take him.  That would be if Murphy, White and Hockenson are gone.  I would bet that Bush is there target and someone will move up to get him because the Steelers are too  transparent.

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If Ferrell is there at 20 I would take him

This is the feedback I was looking for.  I think that Ferrell is a great player, but I am not sure what he does for us that does not make a scheme change.  I cannot see Ferrell as a 3-4 OLB that drops.  He is a bigger dude that sets a great edge in the run and can get after the passer at times.  I am not trying to get into a scheme discussion here, but without a major change up front, why would Ferrell be a good pick for us at #20??

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If Ferrell is there at 20 I would take him.  That would be if Murphy, White and Hockenson are gone.  I would bet that Bush is there target and someone will move up to get him because the Steelers are too  transparent.

Yes, there is a lot of noise around Bush at the moment. I hope it is smoke. If not, I do hope someone else takes him first. 

8 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Yes, there is a lot of noise around Bush at the moment. I hope it is smoke. If not, I do hope someone else takes him first.

While not what I was looking for on this post, I 100,000,000% agree.

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He will cover about as well as Harrison or Woodley.  In the flat.

Interesting.  I will have to look at more tape on him.  I did not pick up on this, but it may be confirmation bias.

1 hour ago, kurgan said:

While not what I was looking for on this post, I 100,000,000% agree.

Apologies... I see Bush and I'm like a moth to the flame. 

As for Edge, I think Winovich in the 3rd is a good spot for him and the Steelers. If he can spend a year playing ST and bulk up a bit for the NFL, I think he can offer a decent rotational OLB.

I do think Ferrell in the 1st would be a good pick, but I still contend that CB in the first is a better option if Murphy, Baker, or Williams is still on the board.

Archived