The 'what do I know' mock

Brit Pack

Looking at the draft, where my fanatism only really stretches for about the top 100 players i.e around the first three rounds, this is where I feel the strength is and what I would like to see happen, which rarely happens.

Scenario 1: Trade 12 and 30 to get up to around the 4th or 5th pick (this is based of the traditional trade value chart (might take more like an extra 4th as well to make it happen). I would be into this if there was a run of QBs at the top of the draft i.e Murray, Haskins, maybe even Lock and that pushes down one of Quinnen Williams, Joey Bosa, or Josh Allen. Especially with Bosa and Williams I feel these are game changing players that are not just the best in this draft but the best out of many drafts.

Scenario 2: Trade down. Get let’s say the Steelers 1st (20th) and 2nd rounder (pick 52) for our pick 12 (again we might have to throw in a pick like our 5th to make it happen). Where I like this draft a lot is the picks 20 to 30. This draft as a whole is devoid of too much offensive talent and certainly not a fan of offensive talent at 12. The strength of this draft is the D line and edge where there is some mighty fine prospects all the way through. Personally, I’m not a fan of the tier of edge guys that will/could be around at the 12 spot: Burns and Sweat especially, where I feel they tested off the charts but the tape that I saw looked like very ineffective rushers of the mould of guys like Mingo, Leonard Floyd, tall athletic but can’t hold the edge. I’d lose my **** if we drafted one of those two. I like Ferrell just feel 12 is a little too high for him and if we stayed at 12 I would like Wilkins, a d lineman who played both the run and pass very well. Gary at 12 is also a possibility, just not sold on him.

Like I said at 12 I just don’t see the offensive talent worth the pick. Metcalf not a fan of. Any of the OL are not outstanding enough for the 12th pick. I do like Jonah Williams but his testing doesn’t even come close to Green Bays thresholds. Hence why I prefer the trade down. At 20 I would be okay taking either of the Iowa TE boys, Fant or Hockenson (if he is still around) or OL like Dillard, Risner, Taylor, Ford. If we did go defence then one of my draft crushes Tillery, who might even be available at 30, just depends how much you like him, next to Williams he was the best rush d lineman in College. The man mountain Dexter Lawrence from Clemson if he is still around is also an option. Preference though is to go for O.

At 30 Risner might still be there Lindstrom, maybe even Bradbury along the Oline. WRs come into play here as well Paris Campbell, AJ Brown and N’Keal Harry would be good value. With defence side of things previously mentioned D linemen like Tillery and Lawrence might still be there, taking a gamble on the injured Simmons is an option too.

If we did go offence with our first two picks, which I would like to see as we do need a bit of an injection of talent there along the Oline with Bulaga in his final year, and WR or TE for more weapons for Arod, I would like us to go defence with pick 44. Some nice edge names here Polite if he drops after his combine fiasco, however, he has got great tape. Chase Winovich is a nice player who tested very well too. Jaylon Ferguson who tested average but had the most sacks in Division 1 College history, taking over Terrel Suggs. Another crush of mine is Deionte Thompson. We desperately need another safety and while Adderley is the guy many talk about, I just don’t fancy him at 30 and expect him gone at 44. There is some nice safety names later in the draft too, Hooker, Savage, Thornhill (might need to trade up from the 3rd for them), Jaquan Johnson. I like Thompson because before the combine season started he was ranked as the top safety and was looked as a mid first rounder. At 44 I think he would be great.

In the second round here I see the value in WRs. Deebo Samuel might still be around, Riley Ridley, Hakeem Butler, Miles Boykin. My two favourites are Andy Issabella, finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, short fast and did it against good competition in College, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside is my favourite receiver, he caught the most contested balls in College by a wide margin, tall physical, very smart, Stanford boy, he learnt all the WR positions XY and Z, which is what Green Bay asks of its receivers.

So in conclusion my first three round picks would be something along the lines of: 1st, TE, Fant, DL, Tillery, 2nd, OLB, Polite, WR, Whiteside, 3rd, S, Hooker. That is on the assumption we traded down and picked up and extra 2nd rounder.

Least favoured option, If we stayed as is: DT, Wilkins, OL, Risner, OLB, Polite and S, Hooker – too defensive for me, but I’m going where the value is.

A couple of things.  We've never traded up from our original FRP since Ted Thompson took over.  Short of someone unexpectedly falling (i.e. Nick Bosa), I don't see any reason the Packers would make that kind of move up the board.  Speaking historically, we've only had 2 trades when a team traded out of the top 10 into the top 10 (Jack Coklin and Vernon Hargreaves in 2016).  For me, that speaks to the fact that teams that are up that high are wanting more than what teams are willing to give up.  We're not moving up that high.

Secondly, not sure the Packers want to move down that far.  The board would dry up pretty quickly, and I don't think the Packers like to lose that much flexibility.  Again, not sure the Steelers (or another team) want to give up their SRP unless the player available is too good to pass up.  Who are the Packers passing on that the Steelers be willing to go with?

The same way I feel about this draft, and much the same about these players too. Not sure we have many of those OL as targets though.

The draft gets really interesting in rounds two to four for me. That's where Gute can really make a killing and set this team up well in the future. My list of players worth that 12 is short. In fact, I think I like only about eight players on consensus big boards for GB as first rounders, but many more in the 30-44 range,

2 hours ago, Norm said:

I feel bad you made this and nobody commented. So here. I commented. 

Don't feel bad for me. I feel bad for all those kids around the world who were forced to grow up supporting the Lions.

Anyway, thank you for making the comment. You don't know how much it means to me. 

Archived