Reassessing the RB Draft at the 11th Hour

AZBearsFan

Draft a TE high

Shaheen is good and draft pick is good: now you have a ton of weapons and can cut Burton in 2020 and save 8 million.

Shaheen is bad and draft pick is good: you saved yourself from an obvious weaknesses on offense.

Shaheen is bad and draft pick is bad: Pace has some explaining to do.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I expect that we will get some depth and competition from this draft. If the first 3 picks are primary backups on the roster that would be a nice haul from this Mack/Miller draft.

I am not expecting any type of instant starter material, except maybe at RB, the resources are just not there. Late 3rd round picks and 4th round picks should contribute as rookies and have a role, but it is asking a lot for them to be quickly starters like Whitehair, Goldman, Daniels, Miller and clear building blocks.

This is why drafting  BPA is most appropriate  ... plenty of starter quality in rounds 3&4. Maybe not at position of need but clear starter quality  nonetheless ...

Interior lineman talent and  TE in a draft so rich w  TE talent  will be most bang for  buck imo

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

To accomplish that they need to get past the 1st round of the playoffs. A large reason they did not get out of the 1st round was that the offense scored 15 points. A large reason that the offense scored 15 points was that Burton was hurt, Shaheen demanded no respect, and Cohen was doubled out of the game.

The way the Burton injury played out was 100% a factor in how the game went though so using it as a “this is how it would go if he got hurt” scenario is a stretch. It was a pretty unique situation. He didn’t pop up as injured until Saturday night after the entire gameplan was installed and we were beyond the point of major adjustments. From the gameplan standpoint they had to basically address like he got hurt on the first play of the game. 

Nobody is arguing that you need an upgrade in depth behind Burton, but I also don’t think the intent is for Shaheen or Braunecker to be immediate depth behind Burton because they play the same position only as the NFL defines it, not as Nagy defines it. The true argument is whether you need to take a depth player like Oliver who can only fill that one role, one that’s entirely taken up by Burton outside of injury, at 87. I think that’d be a misallocation of draft resources specific to THIS draft where we have no first or second round pick. You can’t take an isolated incident involving your 3rd or 4th most important skill position player that happened on the night before a game and make it the primary nucleus around which you base your entire evaluation of your roster or your draft. That’s a completely flawed way to go about it IMO. 

29 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Sorry, yes cut him after 2020.

Ya   Burton had some huge wide open catches and did some nice Hback &misdirection  stuff ..  but he is not performing at the $$ he makes  ...   he had too many  bad moments  and bad times  to pass eye test for me !!  He needs to stop worrying about his Tv appearances and stupid off  field ****  and play winning focused football 

Ya Burton's  not my favorite   maybe year 2 will be better ...  very replaceable &  would free up LOTS of  $

1 minute ago, SLCbear said:

Ya   Burton had some huge wide open catches and did some nice Hback &misdirection  stuff ..  but he is not performing at the $$ he makes  ...   he had too many  bad moments  and bad times  to pass eye test for me !!  He needs to stop worrying about his Tv appearances and stupid off  field ****  and play winning focused football 

Ya Burton's  not my favorite   maybe year 2 will be better ...  very replaceable &  would free up LOTS of  $

He had a solid arguement for the probowl, he didnt have a ton of contested catches, but that's not his game, his game is getting open against mismatches, and using his athletic ability to make plays after the catch.

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

He had a solid arguement for the probowl, he didnt have a ton of contested catches, but that's not his game, his game is getting open against mismatches, and using his athletic ability to make plays after the catch.

He did some very nice things and no, not many contested catches  ..  MT clearly looks at  him ALOT so  hopefully yr 2 is  more impactful  ..just eliminate the  bad plays. That said I'd have no problem moving on from Burton, aft 2yrs   should we stumble onto a nice replacement.

Shaheen  has so much ceiling  ...can he stay healthy  

I think we can all agree that Burton needs to up his game a little and as he and Mitch both develop in this offense that's more likely than not.

I think we can also agree that we'll need another TE prospect or two from somewhere.

Archived