My Final NYJ 2019 Mock Draft: what I think, not what I want

jetskid007

Offseason Re-cap

The Jets attacked free agency with a draft mentality: add players who fill needs, but also seek the best players available – regardless of position – and seek to add players who will help re-define the culture of the team. They accomplished such by adding LB CJ Mosely, RB Le’Veon Bell, LG Keliche Osemele, WR Jamison Crowder, and CB Brian Poole, among others. The Jets also did a good job of re-signing their best players and made a few sneaky good additions who are not guaranteed to make the team, but will surely have game-day roles if they are awarded a spot on the 53-man roster (i.e. OW Ty Montgomery).

Heading into free agency, the Jets have two glaring needs: Pass rush and Offensive line. The Jets want to trade down to accumulate more picks, specifically a 2nd rounder, because the strength of this draft is in day 2. However, despite how much the Jets want to trade down, they realize that there is a huge drop-off in talent after the top 5 picks. It creates a difficult situation, as they view their pick as extremely valuable, but prospective trade partners are unwilling to pay such a premium to move up to #3 because: (1) the lack of elite QB talent; and (2) they value their day 2 picks, also realizing that the strength of the draft lies between rounds 2-3.  In an ideal world, the Jets would move down to 6-10 and select one of the “big 3” lineman while adding a few premium picks, but I don’t foresee such happening. Without further ado, my projected mock draft:

2019 NFL DRAFT

Day 1

1(3)        Quinnen Williams, DL, Alabama

After Murray goes 1 and Bosa goes 2, the Jets aggressively try to find a trade partner but ultimately fail to trade down. Their consolation prize? Arguably the best player in the draft. I get why some fans won’t be happy: we’ve gone down this path of selecting interior defensive lineman without much success, but I would say that both Williams and Oliver are different from what we’ve had in the past. Whether we go Williams or Oliver, both provide the kind of unique potential that hasn’t been seen at the DL position since Suh/McCoy in 2010. Ideally pairing Quinnen with Leonard will result in one of the best interior DL duos in the league, but it also provides the Jets with some flexibility; if LW doesn’t meet or surpass expectations in 2019, the Jets won’t feel pressured to sign him to a long-term deal – as they did with Wilkerson – knowing they still have a blue-chip player to build around in QW. However, I expect that Leo will have his breakout year, and Quinnen will do the same – likely pairing these two together for the next 5+ years.

Day 2

TRADE: NYJ send 3(68) to GB for 3(75), 5(150), and 7(226)

It’s no secret that the Jets are targeting Connor McGovern at 68; in fact, it won’t surprise me if they try to trade up for him. However, after he and CB Sean Bunting go earlier in round 2 than expected, the Jets will use this opportunity to move down a few spots and collect more picks.

3(75)      Yodney Cajuste, OL, WVU

The Jets draft plan has always been to use Day 2 to rebuild the offensive line. Many assumed that would mean they would select a center, but I don’t think the Jets will reach for one; instead, they will focus on taking players who they feel best project to be the next wave of Jets starters within the next few years. Yodney Cajuste is a guy who the Jets have shown a ton of interest in, and had he not gotten injured would probably be a round 2 pick. He should be healthy by the time the season starts, but chances are he’ll be a top reserve to begin his career. The Jets are projecting him as a future LT/RT.

3(93)      Chuma Edoga, OL, USC

Continuing the theme of rebuilding the offensive line, Chuma Edoga is a player I’ve heard to be linked to the Jets for a while. He’s a rare athlete at the position – he has premier foot quickness and is a smooth, fluid mover – but he’s still unrefined as a pass protector. He absolutely has the talent to be a starting tackle in the league, but he needs to be taught how to be a technician. That’s where coach Pollack and a mentor like Kelvin Beachum will be big. In my opinion, I can see Edoga playing 4 different spots on the offensive line and will be a likely starter at LT/LG/RG/RT within the next year or 2, depending how the incumbents fair this season.

Day 3

TRADE: NYJ send 4(105) to CLE for 4(119) and 5(170)

What do you know, another trade. This is classic “trader Mike” – move down to acquire somewhat meaningless picks in day 3, when they likely could’ve sat and taken a better player at 105… but again, I’m drafting based on what I think will happen rather than what I would do.

4(119)   Kendall Sheffield, CB, OSU  

The Jets had a few corners in mind for day 3, but none of them were available for their pick. Come the fourth round, I think the Jets will take their chances and move down, realizing that they have a lot of similarly graded players still available. Sheffield is the Chuma Edoga of cornerbacks – extremely gifted athlete, but inconsistent. The Jets will try to coach him into a starter, and hope that he can make an impact on game days this season.

5(150)   Shareef Miller, EDGE, PSU

Jets fans rejoice, they have selected an EDGE rusher. While a lot later than they would have wanted, I think the Jets will be honest with themselves: it’s very rare to find an elite pass rusher outside of the first two rounds, and they won’t reach on a player simply because he plays a position of need. That said, they still need bodies and you never know; a player may become a super star when you least expect it. In Miller, you’re getting a player who does one thing well: speed rush. He’s got a good get-off and first-step quickness, which is exactly what the Jets are looking for. He has average bend and some twitch to him, which are other positive qualities. Otherwise, there is a lot to be desired. He has a ways to go in terms of his pass rush technique – specifically his hand usage and counter moves. Again, the Jets are taking Miller with their sights set on him being a role player, but he has the football character and certain traits that could certainly work in this system, especially with the defensive line the Jets have built.

5(170)   Ross Pierschbacher, C, Alabama

Ah, the Jets other biggest need – center – also finally gets addressed in the fifth frame. First things first: Adam Gase has an interesting eye for centers; he’s more concerned with having a guy that understands assignments than someone with athletic traits. After missing out on a few on day 2, I don’t think they’ll be in a rush to snag one. Enter Pierschbacher, who is an experienced winner who had position flex in college but is most likely a pure center in the NFL. He’ll compete with Harrison to start day one, but don’t rule out the Jets adding another veteran at some point after the draft.

6(196)   Dillion Mitchell, WR, Oregon

Dillion Mitchell is a guy I see being an Adam Gase pet-project. He’s raw in a lot of areas, but the two things he does well are qualities coach highly values: he has good ball skills and a natural YAC receiver. He’s kind of like Quincy Enunwa in that regard, but more natural as a receiver in terms of build and style. I think Mitchell would go in the 4th-5th round in some drafts, but given the amount of depth in the middle of this draft the Jets luck out as Mitchell falls into their laps in the 6th.

7(217)   Josiah Tauaefa, LB, Texas-San Antonio

Josiah Tauaefa is a Gregg Williams player through and through. He’s more of an old school thumper than an athletic modern NFL linebacker, but he plays with intensity and physicality. The Jets will likely carry 5 ILBs when all is said and done, and Tauaefa will be competing for that fifth spot. I have a feeling the Jets will find a role for him, but he should be an impactful special teamer.

7(226)   Malik Carney, EDGE, North Carolina

Like Shareef Miller, Carney is a guy who has some traits, but is less talented and more likely to be a role player or special teamer. Still, the Jets need bodies and don’t want to risk losing him in priority undrafted free agency, so they make him their last selection of the 2019 NFL Draft.

Post-Draft

Obviously the Jets still have a lot of work to do. They’ve done a masterful job of beefing up the lines with the resources they have, but the 3 biggest needs entering the draft are still the biggest question marks exiting it: EDGE, C, and CB. Corner has been considered a concern, but I think the Jets have some confidence that the new coaching staff can get a lot more out of Trumaine Johnson, and still have hope that some of their young athletes at the position can develop into consistent contributors. At Center, I don’t think Gase is as concerned as the fanbase; he views the C position differently and it won’t surprise me if we sign Swanson or Wisniewski to compete with Harrison and Pierschbacher.

The biggest concern – which has been one for the past decade plus – lies at the outside pass rush spot. I think the Jets will be an improved pass rushing unit this year due to the addition of Gregg Williams’ 1-gap scheme and Quinnen Williams – the team still lacks a true outside speed rush. I think Maccagnan will continue to do what he has for the past 2 offseasons: monitor the trade market throughout the offseason, and if nothing of substance comes along it will be his primary objective (yet again) next offseason.

Ultimately, I think the Jets do make a trade post-draft… and it will be as follows:

The New York Jets send their 2020 1st round pick to the Houston Texans for EDGE Jadeveon Clowney.

Why? The Texans are reluctant to pay Jadeveon, especially after selecting pass rushers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft, and that’s something the Jets are very willing to do. Maccagnan had nearly pulled off a trade for Khalil Mack and was wiling to drop from 3 to 21 for Frank Clark, which leads me to believe that he’s extremely willing to part with a future 1st round pick for the right player. That fact, coupled with Maccagnan’s heavy influence in the Texans’ front office when the team decided to take him 1st overall, make it a logical pair.

Clowney is overrated and has a concerning injury history so I’m not sure how excited I would be for this, but I think Maccagnan is desperate to see his team win this season, and that’s something Clowney can help them do. Pairing him with talent like Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams with Gregg Williams as the puppeteer could lead to Clowney’s most productive season as a pro.

As far as the Texans, I think they will see some value in Lee and allow him to compete for a spot, but ultimately are motivated by acquiring a future 1st round pick for a player who isn’t in their long-term plans.

TRADE DOWN MOCK

2019 NFL DRAFT

Day 1

TRADE: NYJ send 1(3) to BUF for 1(9), 2(40), 3(74), 4(131) and 2020 2nd 

1(9)        Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama

Day 2

2(40)      Erik McCoy, OL, Texas A&M

3(68)      Terry McLaurin, WR, OSU

3(75)      Jachai Polite, EDGE, Florida

3(93)      Chuma Edoga, OL, USC

Day 3

TRADE: NYJ send 4(105) to CLE for 4(119) and 5(170)

4(119)   Kendall Sheffield, CB, OSU  

5(170)   Shareef Miller, EDGE, PSU

6(196)   Dillion Mitchell, WR, Oregon

7(217)   Josiah Tauaefa, LB, Texas-San Antonio

Post-Draft

The New York Jets send their 2020 1st round pick to the Houston Texans for EDGE Jadeveon Clowney.

Why? The Texans are reluctant to pay Jadeveon, especially after selecting pass rushers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft, and that’s something the Jets are very willing to do. Maccagnan had nearly pulled off a trade for Khalil Mack and was wiling to drop from 3 to 21 for Frank Clark, which leads me to believe that he’s extremely willing to part with a future 1st round pick for the right player. That fact, coupled with Maccagnan’s heavy influence in the Texans’ front office when the team decided to take him 1st overall, make it a logical pair.

Clowney is overrated and has a concerning injury history so I’m not sure how excited I would be for this, but I think Maccagnan is desperate to see his team win this season, and that’s something Clowney can help them do. Pairing him with talent like Leonard Williams and Quinnen Williams with Gregg Williams as the puppeteer could lead to Clowney’s most productive season as a pro.

As far as the Texans, I think they will see some value in Lee and allow him to compete for a spot, but ultimately are motivated by acquiring a future 1st round pick for a player who isn’t in their long-term plans.

Very realistic and accurate, great job all around. I have a lot of the same picks in mine - Q, Pierschbacher, and Miller. I'm expecting us to show some sort of interest in Clowney too being that Mac was in the Texans FO when he was drafted and all the other points you made. I think we address WR a little earlier and I think we have McLaurin on our radar but other than that I like it a lot.

2 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Very realistic and accurate, great job all around. I have a lot of the same picks in mine - Q, Pierschbacher, and Miller. I'm expecting us to show some sort of interest in Clowney too being that Mac was in the Texans FO when he was drafted and all the other points you made. I think we address WR a little earlier and I think we have McLaurin on our radar but other than that I like it a lot.

I had McLaurin penciled in at 75 for a long time, but last minute switched in Cajuste. I just think that the front office realizes protecting Sam is paramount and have a little more confidence in our receivers than everyone else does. 

With Clowney, I think the stars are aligning.  He’s not going to get as much as Mack and Clark - simply because he’s not as good of a player. If the Texans bolster their pass rush like I expect them to, it’ll indicate that he is for sale. I think the Jets will be aggressive and maybe even spend more, but gut feeling is it’ll be the Texans’ best offer considering how many teams address their own pass rush tonight. 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

I had McLaurin penciled in at 75 for a long time, but last minute switched in Cajuste. I just think that the front office realizes protecting Sam is paramount and have a little more confidence in our receivers than everyone else does. 

With Clowney, I think the stars are aligning.  He’s not going to get as much as Mack and Clark - simply because he’s not as good of a player. If the Texans bolster their pass rush like I expect them to, it’ll indicate that he is for sale. I think the Jets will be aggressive and maybe even spend more, but gut feeling is it’ll be the Texans’ best offer considering how many teams address their own pass rush tonight. 

How sure are you that the Texans want to trade Clowney anyway? 

I would be so happy and loved that draft until you threw in the next years first for Clowney. I would be so pissed. He’s a good but not great defensive end. He’s not worth a first round pick even if ours in the late first round. Just sign Ziggy Ansah for a year or two and figure it out next year. Please I hope that’s the only thing we don’t do.

6 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

2020 1st round for Clowney would be GROSS! I would be so mad. Clooney is not what we need. He is not that high sack guy. He is overrated and is only getting props because he was the #1 pick. 

Yeah my thoughts too. @jetskid007 did say it’s what he thinks might happen not necessarily what he wants I just hope Macagnan isn’t high on Clowney. Just feel like we could do better.

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

How sure are you that the Texans want to trade Clowney anyway? 

I feel pretty good about it. It's becoming an NFL-wide trend: if you don't intend to sign your pass rusher the money they will command ($17+ million), trade him. 

It's highly doubtful the Texans place the franchise tag on Clowney again, and their reluctance to give him a long-term deal indicates to me that they'll either let him play out this year and hit free agency or listen to offers for him. If they find reinforcements, they'll absolutely trade him for future draft capital. Again, this trade isn't projected days after the draft - more likely in training camp or near the franchise tag signing deadline. 

For the record I wouldn't be a fan of it. I agree that Clowney isn't the sack artist people associate him to be, but he's a good player that a desperate team will bank on as he is the type of player who can help us win now. I see something like this happening going down, especially considering we were willing to beat the Bears offer for Mack last year but the Raiders didn't want him in the AFC. 

21 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah my thoughts too. @jetskid007 did say it’s what he thinks might happen not necessarily what he wants I just hope Macagnan isn’t high on Clowney. Just feel like we could do better.

Exactly. I wouldn't endorse it, I just feel its something that Maccagnan will entertain. He's been so gungho on acquiring a pass rusher and realizes that his job is on the line if the Jets don't produce this year - regardless what ownership says. If no one steps up in TC, they'll look to make a big move before the season. 

Whatever we do, we should not trade any future picks this weekend. Please don't. We THINK we have a better team but we have been fooled so many times before. The worst thing that could happen is we are right back in the top 5 of next year's draft and we don't have the pick.

If Quinnen Williams is the consensus best player in the draft, who are we to pass on him? It would mean Henry Anderson may not play as much as is projected, or maybe a lot less playing time for my Canadian brother Nathan Shepherd. But, Gregg Williams should be able to make it work. Meanwhile, our front line would be scary good. I was on the fence at first with the idea of not drafting an edge rusher, but now I am fine with it. 

We can maybe trade Lee for a pass rusher? Even if the player is a lot older, I would like to see a move like that.

43 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I threw together a mock that includes a trade with the Bills in the 2nd post. Not that anyone cares, just using it for record keeping purposes at this point. 

We should have a clear answer what's going on in about 3 hours!

Your trade back mock is probably identical to what I’d have for us.

Archived