2020 Draft Prospects

Bobby816

18 hours ago, JetsandI said:

As of 2/17/20

Combine participants to eye on.

Thanks for putting together. One thing to note about all offensive positions: Douglas and Gase evaluate players from the ground up. It all starts with their feet. That doesn't mean a player who has poor footwork is someone to totally dismiss - they want to see if a player has fast feet. Keep that in mind for all prospects, as it doesn't always show up in the agility drills. 

Wide Receiver: I will say this: Adam Gase is a firm believer of building a complementary WR group. He's a truther in the sense that he believes the X, Y, Z need to be able to do certain things in the offense, but he views the X and Z more interchangeably whereas the Y (slot) is specific. In many ways the passing scheme is build from the inside-out, which is why he values Crowder so much from the slot. However, the Jets run a lot of plays with the receivers lined up near the formation, so in a sense, there are a lot of plays where the X and Z see "slot" reps. Ideally, both the X (split end) and Z (flanker) can change their approach based on what the play call asks of them. Split end usually the deep receiver who needs to win his coverage, the flanker usually running routes closer the the LOS (a "possession" receiver). That's how Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders were used in Denver, but it looked like Robby was pretty much isolated at split end/asked to beat his coverage assignment in a variety of ways - very rarely is he "schemed" open like we see for the TE/Slot/Flanker, likely because the team did not feel he was effective running underneath/quick developing routes off the line. 

He did see his fair share of snaps at the Z (flanker) when DT went down and Vyncint Smith came in, but that seemed to be out of necessity. Now, if Gase sees a player that he feels is an exceptional X and poor Z, I'm guessing he'll make use of him, but in an ideal world, he wants his outside receivers to be versatile. 

So who to look for to fill those voids? Players who can do it all. I don't think this player needs to fit a certain size/speed requirement; Gase doesn't value a guy who is strictly overpowering or a guy that is pure speed; he values precision. Guys who can run diverse route trees that ideally find ways to win both in the short-passing game (quick routes off the line, usually if the route is precise the play design will scheme the guy open) and intermediate-deep passing game (pretty much someone that is going to win their one-on-ones) regardless if power or speed is their secondary trait--but usually, the best indicator of a player who currently is/could develop into a "precise" route runner is footwork/quick feet. Brandon Aiyuk, Justin Jefferson, Michael Pittman, KJ Hamler, Van Jefferson, Quartney Davis, Gabriel Davis, Jauan Jennings, Denzel Mims, James Proche, Devin Duvernay, KJ Hill all fit that profile in no definitive order. 

Tight End: I don't think the Jets will go after TEs unless one they really like falls to them. Herndon/Griffin aren't going anywhere, and they'll at least try to get more out of Wesco- Gase apparently likes his head for the game. 

EDGE: Lewis, Robinson, Weaver all fit the profile for a day 2 Ravens-like edge. Less emphasis on testing scores, much more emphasis on play strength and technique. I like Greenard a lot, but I wonder how the relationship is between Jets coaches/Florida coaches after the Polite debacle. We have no way of knowing what conversations the team had with the Florida staff leading up to that pick. If Gase feels Florida officials were dishonest in any way, they may avoid Florida players this year. Note this is pure speculation though... 

CB: Gladney and Johnson are the type of CBs our front office/coaches like through and through. I have a feeling this is a position we seek to address either in round 3/day 3 and in free agency though. 

• Like 1

Sam Darnold spent last week working out in California with his QB coach Jordan Palmer. Among those in attendance? Brandon Aiyuk

Aiyuk said he had a good meeting with the Jets at the senior bowl. 

Aiyuk is a terrific fit for the Jets, I'm just not so confident he'll be there at 48. I had Jauan Jennings as our selection in my most recent mock because while a flawed character, he is a competitive SOB and the Jets want those guys on offense; from what I understand, they want their offense to play with more of a chip in 2020. Aiyuk also has those same qualities, but is easier to project as a receiver. Ideal X in this offense who has the ability to become a better route runner with some coaching. The way the WRs are going to shake out will be fascinating to watch on draft day and while I think he'll go before our pick, I'd think the Jets would select him if he were available at 48. 

I will say, I'm starting to get the sense that the Jets won't be picking at 48. Call it a gut feeling, but seems they're in the right spot to either move up a few spots to secure someone without paying an arm or a leg, or move down if there are a lot of players they like who are on the board. 

17 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Sam Darnold spent last week working out in California with his QB coach Jordan Palmer. Among those in attendance? Brandon Aiyuk

Aiyuk is a terrific fit for the Jets, I'm just not so confident he'll be there at 48. I had Jauan Jennings as our selection in my most recent mock because while a flawed character, he is a competitive SOB and the Jets want those guys on offense; from what I understand, they want their offense to play with more of a chip in 2020. Aiyuk also has those same qualities, but is easier to project as a receiver. Ideal X in this offense who has the ability to become a better route runner with some coaching. The way the WRs are going to shake out will be fascinating to watch on draft day and while I think he'll go before our pick, I'd think the Jets would select him if he were available at 48. 

I will say, I'm starting to get the sense that the Jets won't be picking at 48. Call it a gut feeling, but seems they're in the right spot to either move up a few spots to secure someone without paying an arm or a leg, or move down if there are a lot of players they like who are on the board. 

I like Aiyuk. Has good YAC ability. His combine speed and quickness will determine if he's there at 48 IMO. Best thing for us might be a couple other guys (Reagor and Hamler kill the 40 and jump him).

Denzel Mims (WR/Baylor) is an interesting prospect to me. I watch a lot of Big 12 football living here in Texas and have seen him play quite a bit. And he is for sure a very talented WR. My actual issue with him was that he played in a air raid offense so his stats are inflated and that with his size he won a good amount of battles, but didnt really seem to win with creating separation (speed , agility and route running). Fast forward to the senior bowl and he was one of several WRs talked about there. But A LOT of experts say he was the most impressive there. Won more 1 on 1 battles than any other WR there. Which surprised me, bc it takes more than size to win 1 on 1 battles like they do all senior bowl week. Im very interested to see how he runs and route running is leading up to the draft.

• Like 2

Mel Kiper is the latest among respected draft analysts to tout how robust this receiver class is. Says he could see 25-30 receivers in the first 3 1/2 rounds (so essentially top 120 picks).

To put that in perspective, the average number of receivers drafted over the past 10 years? 30.9 per entire draft. Last year, only 29 WRs were drafted. The most ever recorded in a single draft class since they reduced it to 7 rounds was 37 in 2003. Most ever was 59 in a 17 round draft. Truly remarkable. 

Round 4 will be a sweet spot for some really good receiver prospects and I’d expect a lot of teams vying to trade for those first 10 picks to begin day 3. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 3

Jets may ponder about trading up into top 10 to get a higher rated OT, basing on what Eagles did with Andre Dillard last draft.   Oh boy! I don't like that thinking at all. 

I now begin to check out on Kicker and Punter since Jets have now 2 6th round picks.  

Kickers:

Rodrigo Blankenship, Georgia.

Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern.

Punters:

Joseph Charlton, South Carolina.

Michael Turk, Arizona State.

18 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Mel Kiper is the latest among respected draft analysts to tout how robust this receiver class is. Says he could see 25-30 receivers in the first 3 1/2 rounds (so essentially top 120 picks).

To put that in perspective, the average number of receivers drafted over the past 10 years? 30.9 per entire draft. Last year, only 29 WRs were drafted. The most ever recorded in a single draft class since they reduced it to 7 rounds was 37 in 2003. Most ever was 59 in a 17 round draft. Truly remarkable. 

Round 4 will be a sweet spot for some really good receiver prospects and I’d expect a lot of teams vying to trade for those first 10 picks to begin day 3. 

Let's get cute with WR value by waiting until 6th round to take 2 WRs. B|

On 2/18/2020 at 2:27 PM, jetskid007 said:

Aiyuk is my guy in the 2nd round unless one of the shoe in 1st rounders drops.  I really think we need more YAC ability to help out Sam.  Most of the QB's with gaudy stats get a good portion of it from guys creating after the catch.  It seemed like we had very little of that last year.  Even guys like Mahomes (who is great don't get me wrong) are doing little push passes to Hill and Kelce and just watching them take it to the house.  

Aiyuk in the 2nd and Mim's with our first 3rd rounder and I'd be a happy guy.  

6 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Aiyuk is my guy in the 2nd round unless one of the shoe in 1st rounders drops.  I really think we need more YAC ability to help out Sam.  Most of the QB's with gaudy stats get a good portion of it from guys creating after the catch.  It seemed like we had very little of that last year.  Even guys like Mahomes (who is great don't get me wrong) are doing little push passes to Hill and Kelce and just watching them take it to the house.  

Aiyuk in the 2nd and Mim's with our first 3rd rounder and I'd be a happy guy.  

Agreed. The Jets offense was designed for Enunwa to serve the primary flanker, being someone who the Jets could scheme catches and have him rack up YAC. Feel like Aiyuk would fit that role perfectly. 

Another guy who I'm not crazy about but feel the Jets may have in high regard is Donovan Peoples-Jones. He's built exactly how Gase likes them and has rare fluidity traits, but despite his excellent athleticism he simply couldn't get it done in college. Raw, unrefined, but has the talent to be a YAC generator as a Z receiver early in his career, with the ability to grow into a more traditional route runner in the deep-and-intermediate portions of the field. I'd be more fond of him on day 3, but I get the sense he'll go on day 2.

4 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Agreed. The Jets offense was designed for Enunwa to serve the primary flanker, being someone who the Jets could scheme catches and have him rack up YAC. Feel like Aiyuk would fit that role perfectly. 

Another guy who I'm not crazy about but feel the Jets may have in high regard is Donovan Peoples-Jones. He's built exactly how Gase likes them and has rare fluidity traits, but despite his excellent athleticism he simply couldn't get it done in college. Raw, unrefined, but has the talent to be a YAC generator as a Z receiver early in his career, with the ability to grow into a more traditional route runner in the deep-and-intermediate portions of the field. I'd be more fond of him on day 3, but I get the sense he'll go on day 2.

Yes DPJ is an interesting prospect. A lot of talent, but just couldn’t seem to take his game to a high producing level for whatever reason. Risky prospect in that same area with Jennings with me. For different reasons. Both highly talented but carry risks.

I'm hoping we come out of our 1st 4 picks with 2 WRs. And I'd like to see 2 different type of WRs taken by us to offer Sam a variety of skill set. We know Gase values separation, agility, YAC in a WR. But I'd still like to see us go with a bigger body type WR with one of our picks there. Pretty much what I'm meaning is I wouldn't want us to take 2 WRs like Hamler and Reagor. I'd like for one of our drafted WRs to be atleast 6'1"-6'2" or bigger and use their body. Being that Crowder isnt the biggest... I think having a big bodied guy could only help the whole WR core for redzone and in traffic targets. We cant only have Herndon and Griffin at TE as our guys over 6' for Darnold. Theres plenty of guys who fit this mold that are worthy of the 1st 3 rounds. Ruggs, Hamler and Reagor are actually the only WRs ranking in the top 15-20 guys that are smaller than 6' so odds are we do grab a bigger guy. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

• Like 1

@Bobby816 Having a complementary group of WRs is key. I used to be all for big body WRs when we had Sanchez/Geno because they were more throw it up and see what happens type players, but I feel a lot differently about Sam. Sam’s yolo throws are usually because he doesn’t see what’s there, not because he’s hoping his guy is going to win the battle. It’s clear to me that the best WRs to match with him are guys with great instincts, quickness, and that never give up on a play. You want guys who can read the QB and break off the route quickly, which creates that separation. It’s why I think that Justin Jefferson is probably the best match with Sam Darnold- he routinely reads the QB and finds the soft spots when plays break down

It’s extremely hard to try and stack a WR board this year. I have a feeling teams are going to be all over the place... I think it’s going to be mayhem after Jeudy-Lamb-Ruggs. Some teams are going to have someone like Shenault rated 18th on their board and others 45th. I can see someone like Justin Jefferson going in the top 20 or as low as 60. Some teams will have Reagor/Hamler as top 25 players, yet there’s a possibility they fall to the late 2nd/3rd on draft day. I think a team like the Patriots could have a 1st round grade in Van Jefferson. Some teams are going to have high 2nd (if not 1st) round grades on Denzel Mims/Jauan Jennings. The list goes on and on...

I truly envy how deep this class is with premier talent at WR. I keep saying it but if I were a GM of this team- or any team for that matter- I’m taking one of the top 5 OLs then literally would take 3, maybe 4, WRs in a row. Not a great way of allocating resources and many front offices/coaches would criticize it (though most fans would be elated lol), but I’d feel really good that such investment would turn out to be a relatively cheap one that would ultimately result in having one of the best WR groups in the NFL for the next 5+ years.

Always a risk that someone will bust, but the odds are at least 2/3 or 3/4 of those receivers turn out to be good, solid players. Maybe not superstars, but very good, reliable, Robert Woods level players with even higher ceilings. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It’s extremely hard to try and stack a WR board this year. I have a feeling teams are going to be all over the place... I think it’s going to be mayhem after Jeudy-Lamb-Ruggs. Some teams are going to have someone like Shenault rated 18th on their board and others 45th. I can see someone like Justin Jefferson going in the top 20 or as low as 60. Some teams will have Reagor/Hamler as top 25 players, yet there’s a possibility they fall to the late 2nd/3rd on draft day. I think a team like the Patriots could have a 1st round grade in Van Jefferson. Some teams are going to have high 2nd (if not 1st) round grades on Denzel Mims/Jauan Jennings. The list goes on and on...

I truly envy how deep this class is with premier talent at WR. I keep saying it but if I were a GM of this team- or any team for that matter- I’m taking one of the top 5 OLs then literally would take 3, maybe 4, WRs in a row. Not a great way of allocating resources and many front offices/coaches would criticize it (though most fans would be elated lol), but I’d feel really good that such investment would turn out to be a relatively cheap one that would ultimately result in having one of the best WR groups in the NFL for the next 5+ years.

Always a risk that someone will bust, but the odds are at least 2/3 or 3/4 of those receivers turn out to be good, solid players. Maybe not superstars, but very good, reliable, Robert Woods level players with even higher ceilings. 

I'd be ecstatic if we did that. If we even used 2 of our 1st 4 picks on WR I'd be happy.