2019 Offseason Trade Rumors & Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

Just now, SBLIII said:

Jump shooting is a big part sure but he does everything else well and he is still scoring efficiently. Simmons averaged 17/9/8, 20 PER on 56% shooting and has become underrated. Bigger impact player.

Yes, he does do everything else well.  The problem is, what he does well isn't as high of a value as being a shooter/scorer.  Like, in the NBA today you don't actually need someone who is a traditional PG or that holds on to the ball all the time.  That was a the style of play in the 1980's all the way up until like the early/mid 2000's.  You talking guys like Stockton, Kidd, Nash, etc.  Then teams like the Spurs and Warriors came along and showed that ball movement (from EVERYONE on the floor) is what's important.  Not one guy dictating an offense (unless the dude is like a super human like LeBron, Durant, Kawhi, etc).

Westbrook averages more points, scoring, and assist than Simmons does, but his inability to shoot hinders Westbrook a ton in the postseason when you start facing nothing but quality teams every single night and teams start to shut off the paint.  And Simmons is like 1000000x a worse shooter than Westbrook is.  Like..... Simmons literally won't even shoot the ball.  Even Rondo (back when he was a trash shooter with the Celtics) would at least shoot the ball sometimes.

His inability to score the ball outside of layups and dunks for a perimeter player is such a MASSIVE liability in the NBA today.  And he's shown literally ZERO improvement in that area since he was at LSU years ago. 

It's weird because Simmons is a safer bet than Mitchell to be a really good player because like you said... he is good at everything else.  But Mitchell has more potential than Simmons at their peaks.

23 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

He'll need 70+ to have a chance.

Honestly Mitchell going for 27-5-5 on good efficiency while strapping defensively and the Jazz finishing with the best record in the league... that’s not top 3 MVP voting? Be real with yourselves. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Yet his team is better hm okay.

Best team for sure. Though they all fit their particular teams best and wouldn't be as successful in each others situation. But we already have a significant bet so we don't need to go back and forth on this.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Honestly Mitchell going for 27-5-5 on good efficiency while strapping defensively and the Jazz finishing with the best record in the league... that’s not top 3 MVP voting? Be real with yourselves. 

Those numbers haven't been MVP level since 2011, he's not the best player on his team and defensively he's nowhere near good enough to make up for it. Wouldn't have been top 3 last year. Hard no and I don't expect it to happen either. You're basically saying he'll be Dame. Who has never finished top 3.

17 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Those numbers haven't been MVP level since 2011, he's not the best player on his team and defensively he's nowhere near good enough to make up for it. Wouldn't have been top 3 last year. Hard no and I don't expect it to happen either. You're basically saying he'll be Dame. Who has never finished top 3.

Dame with elite defense on the #1 team in the league. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Dame with elite defense on the #1 team in the league. 

Mitchell is not even close to an elite defender. He's also significantly less efficient than Dame.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I really like Fox, so I'll let you have that one.  Fox looks awesome.  But Ben Simmons?  Nah, Ima have to take Mitchell over him.  For everything Simmons does, he just doesn't have the potential to be as good simply because he might be the worst shooter of any perimeter player in NBA history.  His game is built for the 1980's, not 2019.

He actually had loads of potential, if he can just learn to shoot he's likely a top 5 player in the league.

That said, I won't hold my breath.

35 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Mitchell is not even close to an elite defender. He's also significantly less efficient than Dame.

Mitchell clamps up. And he didn’t have an elite all star guard to take the pressure off of him like Dame. Now he does.

29 minutes ago, Danger said:

In Today's NBA? Not really.

That is true.  25/5/5 is what Bradley Beal averaged.  That's really not good enough to get noticed, tbh.  Beal is a really good player, but NOBODY considers him anywhere near a superstar caliber player. 

I just don't think Mitchell will be in the MVP discussion because the Jazz are an actual team.  If they have a great record, it'll be because everyone on that team plays a key role.  It's not going to be because one dude uplifts that team.... like Curry, Harden, Giannis, etc.

Archived