43M's Gaming Journal: Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

43M

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 43M said:

I just completed all the side quests and finished local intel in Junon.   I am about to talk to Priscilla to advance the main quest.

I will say that the only "downside" is that, much like other RPGs with alot to do, the main story loses focus.    I still love the game and prefer this style of Final Fantasy over the recent linear ones, but I do find myself thinking "whats happened so far?"

THANKFULLY, there is that story section where you can go recap what's happened so far.

Without spoiling, I will just say you are in for a treat the next few chapters - but IMO the best advice I can give you is to pace yourself for a crazy menu of stuff to do.   And the town upgrades from the OG game are just out of this world visually/detail-wise.  I mean it when I say the devs add so much great story/character related side stuff just when you think "OK they must be going to narrow it to main story now" - they just keep adding more stuff....and while the tower/intel is for sure repetitive (and OMG enough with Chadley all the time), the rest is outstanding.   But while the extras are totally worth it to play, ppl thinking they can get this all done quickly - risk burning themselves out.

It's literally the GOAT of all JRPG's IMO (and likely even RPG's), but it's because it's as amazing as you described with insane depth (it just keeps going on & on & on for so many chapters of greatness, and then the gameplay variety really takes off in final 1/3 of game) - so burnout is a real risk.   Find the right pace, and I think that feeling of wonder you've found will just keep going on...and on....and on (save for the few odd spots, you'll know when you hit them lol).   I was definitely suffering with those last 5-6 near-impossible Platinum challenges.   Saving Hard Mode as the last one rejuvenated me in a big way, but I totally get the burnout angle.  It didn't hit me until after the first playthrough, but the sheer size of the greatness...yeah, I get it.

NGL, now that I'm 1+ month out from finishing Hard Mode and that Platinum, I'm kinda jealous.   Seeing my daughter play it through (replay for me plus my OG familiarity, new for her except Remake & Intergrade) was so much fun.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Without spoiling, I will just say you are in for a treat the next few chapters - but IMO the best advice I can give you is to pace yourself for a crazy menu of stuff to do.   And the town upgrades from the OG game are just out of this world visually/detail-wise.  I mean it when I say the devs add so much great story/character related side stuff just when you think "OK they must be going to narrow it to main story now" - they just keep adding more stuff....and while the tower/intel is for sure repetitive (and OMG enough with Chadley all the time), the rest is outstanding.   But while the extras are totally worth it to play, ppl thinking they can get this all done quickly - risk burning themselves out.

It's literally the GOAT of all JRPG's IMO (and likely even RPG's), but it's because it's as amazing as you described with insane depth (it just keeps going on & on & on for so many chapters of greatness, and then the gameplay variety really takes off in final 1/3 of game) - so burnout is a real risk.   Find the right pace, and I think that feeling of wonder you've found will just keep going on...and on....and on (save for the few odd spots, you'll know when you hit them lol).   I was definitely suffering with those last 5-6 near-impossible Platinum challenges.   Saving Hard Mode as the last one rejuvenated me in a big way, but I totally get the burnout angle.  It didn't hit me until after the first playthrough, but the sheer size of the greatness...yeah, I get it.

NGL, now that I'm 1+ month out from finishing Hard Mode and that Platinum, I'm kinda jealous.   Seeing my daughter play it through (replay for me plus my OG familiarity, new for her except Remake & Intergrade) was so much fun.

Im not burnt out at all.   Still enjoying it tremendously. Just saying I tend to forget where Im at in the story with all the side stuff.

Looking forward to the rest and where it goes from here.   At this point, Im on track for about 85-90% completion rate.   The only things I doubt I do all of are the Queens Blood stuff (I like it, but its no Triple Triad) and extra Fort Condor challenges (wish it was like the original FC).   Im sure there may be other stuff I dont do, but I enjoy getting all the local intel stuff and the other challenges.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 43M said:

Im not burnt out at all.   Still enjoying it tremendously. Just saying I tend to forget where Im at in the story with all the side stuff.

Looking forward to the rest and where it goes from here.   At this point, Im on track for about 85-90% completion rate.   The only things I doubt I do all of are the Queens Blood stuff (I like it, but its no Triple Triad) and extra Fort Condor challenges (wish it was like the original FC).   Im sure there may be other stuff I dont do, but I enjoy getting all the local intel stuff and the other challenges.

Queens blood actually gets better as the game goes on and you get more cards allowing for more advanced strategies. 

But yes triple triad is still better

Would say Queens blood is better than tetra master though

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were burning out - just that's the biggest complaint I hear.   I was in the same boat as you were at that stage - I could not get enough of the game.   It literally sank its claws into me and didn't let go.   

It was only until I hit those 6-7 insane Platinum challenges (I'm so glad I saved Hard Mode replay for last, it gave me something to look forward to, knowing it was easier than those godforsaken tasks lol) that I hit the wall.  That was literally into the 150-200 hour mark.   And again, I've never Platinum'd a single game ever, and only a handful of games I've even bothered to play a 2nd time in my post-uni days (after SNES/PS1-2).  

It's a testament to the game that a month after finishing Hard Mode, it's still the game I crave to play again.   I know it will pass, but that's something I haven't experienced for so long, it usually passes after 1-2 weeks (LoU, Mass Effect, GoW - and the latter 2 I didn't go for a 2nd playthrough, either, once that feeling passed) - not since FFVI-VII days.  

• Like 1

Obviously not looking for spoilers, but it seems like certain things in the main story are happening out of sequence, particularly the stuff involving Zack.    Maybe it will be explained in time, but I am on chapter 8 with Zack looking for Biggs and extremely confused right now.

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Obviously not looking for spoilers, but it seems like certain things in the main story are happening out of sequence, particularly the stuff involving Zack.    Maybe it will be explained in time, but I am on chapter 8 with Zack looking for Biggs and extremely confused right now.

It will make more sense later on...but yeah, I don't blame you for having no clue what's up with him - at this point, I was like "I'm glad they finally went back to his story, but I have no actual idea what's going on with him".   They basically waited so long, and only give you short clips, it's easy to be VERY confused.  Over time the game will cover what's happening with Zack later on in the Main Story.   

And without spoiling, the next chapter's new music is one of my faves and the story expansion just gets so good each chapter right to the endgame, that ppl often say "man I just want to go hard on main quest" - but the side quests just keep killing it, so it just keeps going on & on, like the Energizer bunny.   The side quests & proto-relic stuff are still excellent story-telling/character-dev/music & gameplay wise.     Just when you think "ok they will just zero in main story now, right" - they keep the hits coming.   Enjoy.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Man, that Barrett backstory was incredibly well done and pretty devastating.   It was great getting some history on his character and really painting a picture of why and how he ended up the way he did.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 43M said:

Man, that Barrett backstory was incredibly well done and pretty devastating.   It was great getting some history on his character and really painting a picture of why and how he ended up the way he did.

What the writers & Devs have  done with Barrett, Yuffie and Cait Sith compared to how each was portrayed in FF7 OG is remarkable.     I get Yuffie was optional but they transformed all 3 from caricatures / shallow / afterthought characters to such complex and relatable ppl you can’t help but root for.   

One of the reasons I call this my all time GOAT game is the depth they’ve given all the party characters.   Not to mention the key NPC’s and secondary ones.   They gave all the party members the full VIP treatment.    The writers and VA’s just killed it (fun fact - Aerith’s VA was a first-timer before FF role who podcasted her own entire playthrough of FF Remake <she's a gamer girl, and started crying when Aerith first appeared - her favorite game before FF Remake/Rebirth was Last of Us, which instantly makes me love her 100x more lol>, while Sephiroth is the actor that plays Superman in Superman & Lois).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

The piano stuff could be a bit more forgiving.   I got too annoyed with to keep going.   Probably wouldve gotten better, but just annoyed me enough to quit after about 5 times.

6 hours ago, 43M said:

The piano stuff could be a bit more forgiving.   I got too annoyed with to keep going.   Probably wouldve gotten better, but just annoyed me enough to quit after about 5 times.

Piano for the Cinco De Chocobo & Two-Legs / Sit-up vs. Jules / 3D Brawler vs. final boss are insanely difficult in the 1st playthrough.   Fortunately, you don't need to do those 3 challenges to finish all the side quests except 3D Brawler (and that last side quest isn't crucial to the main story, unless they decide to bring the NPC involved for the 3rd part <and more likely it's only  for another side quest>).   But yeah, those 3 challenges in the 1st game nearly broke me.      The tough part for Piano is that 2nd joystick - you really need to be musical to thrive with it.   My daughter has ZERO trouble with it, because she grew up playing several musical instruments - literally got it on 1st try for the other 4, and like 2-3 tries on the 2 hardest ones.  I, on the other hand, struggled hard.   

In Hard Mode, the VR 3-toughest challenges go beyond insanely difficult (and Gears/Gambits & Fort Condor you need the YT videos to get it IMO).    I couldn't have made it through any of those or the 1st-game challenges above without Youtube, but if you don't want to go for the Platinum, it's easy enough to skip them.     

I do worry that if they made the hardest mini-games this hard for Rebirth, I shudder to think how hard they'll make the hardest for the finale.   

One point I'd hammer home, though - completing everything isn't necessary to enjoy the game to its fullest.  This is one the craziest complaints that gamers have made - there's too much side stuff here.  You absolutely don't need to get top score in every mini-game, or do all the VR challenges.   I absolutely think every side quest enriches the experience, and def the protorelic quest does as well, so doing it all with 1st playthrough is an A+ experience.     If ppl get post-game withdrawal and want more, I would definitely recommend Gilgamesh Island & LV70 / Materia farm-up <first by completing the battle challenges, then the AP/EXP farm areas - I listed them in the Spoiler thread once ppl have completed the game) for a Hard Mode playthrough (because the combat is literally so different by then, and you sail through the game). 

If you are fine after the 1st playthrough to move on, then all good - but then I'd say the side quests & protorelics are def worth doing in that 1st run.   But the piano / situps / hardest VR battle challenges - if I knew the Platinum was going to be THAT hard to get, I wouldn't have gone for it, and I would have passed on the hardest challenges in both 1st & 2nd runs.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Piano for the Cinco De Chocobo & Two-Legs / Sit-up vs. Jules / 3D Brawler vs. final boss are insanely difficult in the 1st playthrough.   Fortunately, you don't need to do those 3 challenges to finish all the side quests except 3D Brawler (and that last side quest isn't crucial to the main story, unless they decide to bring the NPC involved for the 3rd part <and more likely it's only  for another side quest>).   But yeah, those 3 challenges in the 1st game nearly broke me.      The tough part for Piano is that 2nd joystick - you really need to be musical to thrive with it.   My daughter has ZERO trouble with it, because she grew up playing several musical instruments - literally got it on 1st try for the other 4, and like 2-3 tries on the 2 hardest ones.  I, on the other hand, struggled hard.   

In Hard Mode, the VR 3-toughest challenges go beyond insanely difficult (and Gears/Gambits & Fort Condor you need the YT videos to get it IMO).    I couldn't have made it through any of those or the 1st-game challenges above without Youtube, but if you don't want to go for the Platinum, it's easy enough to skip them.     

I do worry that if they made the hardest mini-games this hard for Rebirth, I shudder to think how hard they'll make the hardest for the finale.   

One point I'd hammer home, though - completing everything isn't necessary to enjoy the game to its fullest.  This is one the craziest complaints that gamers have made - there's too much side stuff here.  You absolutely don't need to get top score in every mini-game, or do all the VR challenges.   I absolutely think every side quest enriches the experience, and def the protorelic quest does as well, so doing it all with 1st playthrough is an A+ experience.     If ppl get post-game withdrawal and want more, I would definitely recommend Gilgamesh Island & LV70 / Materia farm-up <first by completing the battle challenges, then the AP/EXP farm areas - I listed them in the Spoiler thread once ppl have completed the game) for a Hard Mode playthrough (because the combat is literally so different by then, and you sail through the game). 

If you are fine after the 1st playthrough to move on, then all good - but then I'd say the side quests & protorelics are def worth doing in that 1st run.   But the piano / situps / hardest VR battle challenges - if I knew the Platinum was going to be THAT hard to get, I wouldn't have gone for it, and I would have passed on the hardest challenges in both 1st & 2nd runs.

I am someone who enjoys doing the main campaign, the meaningful and fun side quests, and the challenges I enjoy.    If the challenges or side quests don't interest me much and dont end up with me getting a reward I really want or need, I won't do them...so there is a decent amount of stuff I probably won't do.    I dont care about 100%ing anything....as long as I feel I got my money from the game, and in this case, I absolutely did, and I still have 4+ chapters to go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 43M said:

I am someone who enjoys doing the main campaign, the meaningful and fun side quests, and the challenges I enjoy.    If the challenges or side quests don't interest me much and dont end up with me getting a reward I really want or need, I won't do them...so there is a decent amount of stuff I probably won't do.    I dont care about 100%ing anything....as long as I feel I got my money from the game, and in this case, I absolutely did, and I still have 4+ chapters to go.

I take it you're finishing up Chapter 9 in Gongaga?   Interested in your thoughts after finishing - there's a pretty polar division, between ppl who absolutely loved the chapter for its music (best new music  IMO for an area, esp 2nd part), visuals & new additions to the story (it really was an afterthought in OG game, this story development here is insane), vs. those who really disliked how easy it was to get lost exploring, and didn't like the Chocobo mechanic - and ppl who absolutely got stymied by clunky controls on one side quest (you'll know it when you play it lol).  

Edited by Broncofan

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I take it you're finishing up Chapter 9 in Gongaga?   Interested in your thoughts after finishing - there's a pretty polar division, between ppl who absolutely loved the chapter for its music (best new music  IMO for an area, esp 2nd part), visuals & new additions to the story (it really was an afterthought in OG game, this story development here is insane), vs. those who really disliked how easy it was to get lost exploring, and didn't like the Chocobo mechanic - and ppl who absolutely got stymied by clunky controls on one side quest (you'll know it when you play it lol).  

Im on chapter 10 now, but its going to take me several hours to complete the sidequests and surveying Gongaga, since I pretty much just went straight to the reactor after arriving.   I still have to get the protorelic in Junon too, but the gnome with boxing gloves told me he would tell me when the other challenges were ready, but hasnt yet.

Ive enjoyed ALL the music in the game quite a bit.     I really love how no matter what youre doing, there is a theme for it, and they all seem pretty fitting.   

I will let you know if I run into funky controls.      

I got frustrated with the Scarlet fight.     She killed me about 7 or 8 times.   I had to keep changing my equipment and materia.   The game has done a great job of making you hate her, even though she is nice to look at.   B|

As much as I am loving this game, I do have my issues with certain elements of combat, but I will cover that in my review.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Broncofan said:

and ppl who absolutely got stymied by clunky controls on one side quest (you'll know it when you play it lol).  

You gotta be referring to the chicken luring side quest.    Its beyond annoying and I dont even want to do it.   1st chicken was fine.   2nd was kind of annoying, but ok.   3rd is testing my patience because you cant back up fast enough and cant see where youre going.   After 7 attempts I got to the very end, and couldn't back up anymore and I found out I was backing into the old hag who asked for the help!  

Oh, and having to wait for the chicken to walk back?

RUOQ8QL.gif

So, I got the 3rd one right after I posted this.

4th one I almost walked away from when I thought I had to lure it THAT far.   Was never so happy to see a fiend show up.

And...that was a pretty dark ending to such a silly quest.  xD

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 43M said:

You gotta be referring to the chicken luring side quest.    Its beyond annoying and I dont even want to do it.   1st chicken was fine.   2nd was kind of annoying, but ok.   3rd is testing my patience because you cant back up fast enough and cant see where youre going.   After 7 attempts I got to the very end, and couldn't back up anymore and I found out I was backing into the old hag who asked for the help!  

Oh, and having to wait for the chicken to walk back?

RUOQ8QL.gif

So, I got the 3rd one right after I posted this.

4th one I almost walked away from when I thought I had to lure it THAT far.   Was never so happy to see a fiend show up.

And...that was a pretty dark ending to such a silly quest.  xD

Yeah, that was literally a controller-breaking side quest.

And many ppl like yourself didn't realize that you can throw the can out right away and get the chickens to continue the walk, you don't have to start from scratch each time.....because unlike every other task-based event, this wasn't included.   It was definitely rage-inducing on my part when I did it the first time - but I will say it was pretty funny to watch my daughter lose it on her end (I did tell her she could throw out the can right away to keep the chicken from returning to the start), especially when she was walking out to find the last chicken.   And I will give credit to the devs - it was pretty deliberate on their end - because of the ending AND the fact that last chicken was so far away.   You only do that if you're teasing the player big-time.   

That guy I watched replay the game - Max Dood - has a great reaction that pretty much was all of his on his Chapter 9 cleanup (if you haven't finished Chapter 9's side quests completely & started Ch 10, wait until then to click below - but if you have got to Ch 10 start and you finished all of Ch 9 - you're spoiler free) - it's the 49:50 mark (for about 3 mins), and then the 1:27:00 mark, with the ending.    The point he made about how great the controls were for every other part of the game up until now, and to be so bad now in this 1 quest, and then with the last chicken being 500M+ away, and that ending,  it had to be deliberate on the devs' part.  Downright evil, but deliberate.

NGL, when I finished the game and posted the non-spoiler review, that side quest was one of the first complaints I had - watching my daughter, Max & then doing it again on my Platinum run (it is much easier the 2nd time), I've gone from rage to "yeah, devs, you got me bigtime" on that one.   They were evil for putting this one in, though, no doubt about it.

Edited by Broncofan