OTAs

Thaiphoon

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And given that he didn't participate, guess what? That spot that we agree that isn't guaranteed...just got less likely due to him opening the door to others to shine in his absence.

As for "boss mentality", it is what it is. You either recognize that the boss is going to see things a certain way, or you don't. The ones who actually get it are the ones who get ahead.

The ones left behind...are the ones still shouting the words "voluntary" 

Well guess what Boss you got a Boss and the league has a Union that wont allow you to dictate ****! Allow me or my Client to meet Sweat at Training Camp and battle it out. You don't like what you see then trade or release him. What's so freaking hard about that? You want to be the Boss and demand **** of people that they don't have to do! You go to a Work to do one thing, your Job! Give the Man some more playing time and let him do his job on the field please. Leave your personal feelings about what he does within His contract off the field out of it! 

Edited by Skins212689

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is my point in a nutshell.

Dude isn't an All Pro. Isn't a Pro Bowler. Hell, he isn't even a regular STARTER on our team. He's a backup who played limited snaps last few seasons. One who did such a bang up job of it, that we went INTO the offseason with HIS position listed as a position OF NEED.

And dude doesn't get the hint? At this point, this might be more of an intelligence test of him than anything else

Because he didn't show up for something he didn't have too, he should lose his job? You guys are making it seem like these guys are actually hitting and getting physical right now and as if Anderson hasn't been in this system going into his 3rd year. Yes he hasn't played at a Pro Bowl level with the limited snaps he's been given but he also hasn't been a bum ethier. Just really sad how some would take a persons livelihood over something VOLUNTARY. Who do you think you are? 

Let somebody actaully make some plays in games as he has before your calling for him to be cut or judge what he's doing right now or be my guest Trade or Release him. 

Edited by Skins212689

Really making a mountain out of a molehill here. I don’t think whether Anderson was at voluntary OTAs or not is really going to determine whether he starts at ROLB this year.

IMO the minute we drafted Sweat, Anderson had lost that completion and from all reports it seems to be shaping up that way. 

Anderson will be our #3 OLB. The only shot he has at getting more playing time than being our rotational 3rd LB is if he’s a lot better than Sweat against the run and Anderson gets to play on run downs. I’m not sure if that’s true or not though, we’ll have to see how Sweat does against the run this preseason.

4 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Because he didn't show up for something he didn't have too, he should lose his job? You guys are making it seem like these guys are actually hitting and getting physical right now and as if Anderson hasn't been in this system going into his 3rd year. Yes he hasn't played at a Pro Bowl level with the limited snaps he's been given but he also hasn't been a bum ethier. Just really sad how some would take a persons livelihood over something VOLUNTARY. Who do you think you are? 

Let somebody actaully make some plays in games as he has before your calling for him to be cut or judge what he's doing right now or be my guest Trade or Release him. 

I’m sure you already know this, but once the cult has spoken in this forum, you’re not changing their minds. It’s pretty clear Thai, Woz & MikeT14 don’t care that the work out is voluntary or not, they just think Anderson should be there bc so far in his career he hasn’t done much and if he wants to make a better impression and possibly win the starting ROLB job he should be at every work out and working the hardest to try to win that job.

It’s hard to argue he shouldn’t be doing that, but at the same time like we’ve said it’s voluntary and he doesn’t have to be there.

It’s Anderson’s choice. Personally I don’t think it matters anyways. I think this is Sweat’s job and I’ll be shocked if Sweat isn’t our starter at ROLB.

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m sure you already know this, but once the cult has spoken in this forum, you’re not changing their minds. It’s pretty clear Thai, Woz & MikeT14 don’t care that the work out is voluntary or not, they just think Anderson should be there bc so far in his career he hasn’t done much and if he wants to make a better impression and possibly win the starting ROLB job he should be at every work out and working the hardest to try to win that job.

You're adding extra to something that wasn't said. I acknowledged already that it was voluntary. I even said I didn't care about the others that didn't show up. What I am shocked about is a fringe third year player, who is busting his way out of the league, who will be fighting for a spot on the team in a league where your time in it on average is short, is skipping important time to get better - voluntary or not. 

I had voluntary practices every weekday over the summer for basketball over the summer. I went to just about every single one of them. Not only would I get better (I was one of the first off the bench), but it helped with camaraderie with teammates. This isn't some stupid "cult" thing, it's something that makes me question Anderson's drive to improve and get better. If he's spending this whole week working out on his own like you say he could be, why not do it at camp where your PROFESSIONAL COACHES can help you?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

No need to punish other's for not doing things that are Voluntary! Just keep loving those who kiss their Boss ***! 

Missed.The.Point.

Not a punishment when you're not there and a guy who would not have played in your spot...does. And then pushes you out because of it.

Look up Wally Pipp.

Then you'll understand.

Neither did you or Woz.

I'm pretty sure @Woz and I know what getting "Wally Pipped" means.

You clearly dont. You're focused on someone getting punished for skipping organized team activities.

We're focused on him opening the door (that didnt need to be opened and shouldnt have been) for another guy to possibly take his spot.

Its not a punishment when you literally open the door and give the guy behi d you the chance to make you unemployed

9 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Well guess what Boss you got a Boss and the league has a Union that wont allow you to dictate ****! Allow me or my Client to meet Sweat at Training Camp and battle it out. You don't like what you see then trade or release him. What's so freaking hard about that? You want to be the Boss and demand **** of people that they don't have to do! You go to a Work to do one thing, your Job! Give the Man some more playing time and let him do his job on the field please. Leave your personal feelings about what he does within His contract off the field out of it! 

Actually, the union has no say in who gets picked for the final 53. The coaches do.

And if the player takes himself out of team activities and amother player comes in and does well in his "voluntary" absence? Yeah, the union has zero say in that.

As for playing time? Dude is potentially taking himself out of playing time by opening the door for a younger, hungrier player to come take his spot.

And again the union has no say in that.

You literally arent understanding the point we are making. And you're erecting a strawman in the process.

@Wozand my entire point isnt the one youre complaining about above...that

"he didnt come to voluntary workouts...so cut him."

We never said that.

Our position is; 

"uh...guy...you are already on thin ice as it is. We already wanted to move on from you because youve shown us jack squat. So if you choose to not be here and cede playing to to other guys, then you're taking the chance that those other guys are gonna show up and THEY...through their play...put you out of a job. So if you're comfortable taking that chance, then dont complain if you do lose your job to the guy who took your reps during voluntary meetings and showed out."

In essence...Anderson is potentially Wally Pipping himself.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s Anderson’s choice. Personally I don’t think it matters anyways. I think this is Sweat’s job and I’ll be shocked if Sweat isn’t our starter at ROLB.

Correct. It is his choice.

But you're still focused on the starting job.

He needs to worry about being replaced as a backup by those who might be coming in and showing out. And doing it with the reps he wouldve taken.

We're saying its not smart.

You guys are saying "well it's voluntary". As if that absence is gonna protect him from getting Pipped

Oh and Ive let the cursing slide. But let's clean it up, please.

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

You're adding extra to something that wasn't said. I acknowledged already that it was voluntary. I even said I didn't care about the others that didn't show up. What I am shocked about is a fringe third year player, who is busting his way out of the league, who will be fighting for a spot on the team in a league where your time in it on average is short, is skipping important time to get better - voluntary or not. 

I had voluntary practices every weekday over the summer for basketball over the summer. I went to just about every single one of them. Not only would I get better (I was one of the first off the bench), but it helped with camaraderie with teammates. This isn't some stupid "cult" thing, it's something that makes me question Anderson's drive to improve and get better. If he's spending this whole week working out on his own like you say he could be, why not do it at camp where your PROFESSIONAL COACHES can help you?

Bingo ^^. An apparently simple concept. But one not grasped by some, including Ryan.

He's opening the door for another guy to potentially take his job. This...after he already has underwhelmed. IF someone does come in a.d shows out using reps he should've been taking, he has no one to blame but himself.

Voluntary is no protection from the "next guy up" showing that he's better than you. And by clinging to voluntary, he allowing that to potentially happen.

Not.smart

13 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Still no Answer to my question. Who is this player that's taking Anderson spot? Please name them!!!! Anderson is using his right not to Participate in Voluntary Activities thats it!!!

47 LB 6-4 248 N/A R James Madison

BJ Blunt 48R LB 6-1 220 24 R McNeese State

Jordan Brailford 95 LB 6-3 252 23 R Oklahoma State
46 LB 6-2 245 27 6 Arizona

Shaun Dion Hamilton 51 LB 6-0 235 23 2 Alabama

Josh Harvey-Clemons 40 LB 6-4 230 25 3 Louisville

Cole Holcomb 57 LB 6-1 231 22 R North Carolina

Cassanova McKinzy 58 LB 6-3 257 26 2 Auburn
58 LB 6-3 258 27 5 Louisville

11 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

You go to a Work to do one thing, your Job! Give the Man some more playing time and let him do his job on the field please.

Kind of hard to give him playing time and let him do his job on the field when he doesn't show up to be given more playing time to do his job on the field, no?

Because he didn't show up for something he didn't have too, he should lose his job?

Should lose his job? No. It was his right to take the time off.

Could lose his job? Yes. It is the team's right to choose someone else for the roster if they don't think Anderson fits with what they want to do.(*)

You guys are making it seem like these guys are actually hitting and getting physical right now and as if Anderson hasn't been in this system going into his 3rd year. Yes he hasn't played at a Pro Bowl level with the limited snaps he's been given but he also hasn't been a bum ethier.

1. We'll agree to disagree on his play because from where I sit, he hasn't impressed me much in the two years he's been on the field.
  2. My opinion is meaningless, but given his limited snaps the past two years, you have to think some of that reflects the opinion of the coaching staff.
  3. If you want more responsibilities (i.e. more snaps), it would make sense to show the coaching staff you want them. If you don't, that's fine too, but why should the coaching staff just give them to you?

Just really sad how some would take a persons livelihood over something VOLUNTARY. Who do you think you are? 

We are not taking anyone's livelihood. We are commenting on the fact that the coaching staff might choose to take his roster spot away and give it to someone else. Do note the usages of "might" and "can" and "possibly" in all of my posts. There is no guarantee that his decision will affect anything. As you have pointed out, they don't have much behind him. At the same time, if someone like BJ Blunt starts catching fire in training camp and the staff has to make that last cut decision, it might come back against him.

(*) Heck, if they want, the can cut him because they don't like the way he ties his shoes. That would be an incredibly foolish reason to cut someone, but that's their prerogative.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m sure you already know this, but once the cult has spoken in this forum, you’re not changing their minds.

I originally wrote what I thought of this statement. I deleted it because I'm a mod. If I weren't, you would be getting a double barrel of choice words from me about this statement.

Never, ever, EVER say something like this to me or about me EVER again. I am blazingly angry right now.

YOU of all people have NO room to criticize others of not changing their minds.

• Like 1

I like how this keeps coming back to being told we want to cut Ryan today because he didn't show up to voluntary OTAs (not the case). This all started because I said 

Boy for a guy that def needs more work (Ryan)...

And then went on to describe how I was shocked he wasn't there.

• Like 2