Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HorizontoZenith

What's the most exciting new element to the Bills this season?

18 posts in this topic

LeeEvans    20

Having two first round picks next season. 

 

Really though I am excited at the possibility of having a competent defense that is actually used correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CWood21    66

Tyrod Taylor

I'm going to go with him, because the weeks leading up to the draft the question was whether or not he would be their starting QB for the 2017 season.  They had the ability to draft a potential QBOTF in Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson with the 10th overall pick, and instead they opted to trade down 17 spots with the Chiefs to draft Tre'Davious White instead.  That to me indicates they plan on moving forward with Taylor as their starting QB.  But looking at his contract, it's structured quite strangely.  It seems to have an opt-out after this year, and an automatic void in 2018 while still having cap hits beyond 2018 in terms of dead cap.  It'll be interesting to see how they can handle this situation.

What do you think long term future is with the Bills @LeeEvans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeeEvans    20
4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Tyrod Taylor

I'm going to go with him, because the weeks leading up to the draft the question was whether or not he would be their starting QB for the 2017 season.  They had the ability to draft a potential QBOTF in Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson with the 10th overall pick, and instead they opted to trade down 17 spots with the Chiefs to draft Tre'Davious White instead.  That to me indicates they plan on moving forward with Taylor as their starting QB.  But looking at his contract, it's structured quite strangely.  It seems to have an opt-out after this year, and an automatic void in 2018 while still having cap hits beyond 2018 in terms of dead cap.  It'll be interesting to see how they can handle this situation.

What do you think long term future is with the Bills @LeeEvans?

I think the trade was all about positioning themselves to move up and take their franchise QB next year. They'll have a lot of ammo to get whoever they want and I don't think the ownership has shown any real commitment to Tyrod. He would have to have one hell of a season this year for the Bills to not go after a QB in my opinion. @CWood21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CWood21    66
7 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I think the trade was all about positioning themselves to move up and take their franchise QB next year. They'll have a lot of ammo to get whoever they want and I don't think the ownership has shown any real commitment to Tyrod. He would have to have one hell of a season this year for the Bills to not go after a QB in my opinion. @CWood21

That may very well be the case, but I'm always leery of the QBs next year will be better idea.  We said the same thing last year, and it turned out (at least for me) that the QB class as a whole was pretty lackluster.  Quite frankly, I didn't have a QB with a 1st round grade this year, only one (Mitchell Trubisky) I'd given a 2nd round grade on, and another three (Watson, Mahomes, and Kizer) with 3rd round grades.  With the exception of Kizer, they all went in the first 12 picks.  That's part of the law of supply and demand.  Are the Bills going to be bad enough where they're picking top 10 again?  Maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Having two first round picks next season. 

 

Really though I am excited at the possibility of having a competent defense that is actually used correctly. 

This is where I'm at as well. McDermott and Frazier together is going to do great things for our defense imo. I think I liked the Frazier hiring more than anything else we did, and getting Lawson and Ragland on the field together (and in this defense) is something I'm really looking forward to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeeEvans    20
6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That may very well be the case, but I'm always leery of the QBs next year will be better idea.  We said the same thing last year, and it turned out (at least for me) that the QB class as a whole was pretty lackluster.  Quite frankly, I didn't have a QB with a 1st round grade this year, only one (Mitchell Trubisky) I'd given a 2nd round grade on, and another three (Watson, Mahomes, and Kizer) with 3rd round grades.  With the exception of Kizer, they all went in the first 12 picks.  That's part of the law of supply and demand.  Are the Bills going to be bad enough where they're picking top 10 again?  Maybe.

That is always the case and I think after the EJ Manuel debacle the Bills will be much more wary of forcing a pick if there isn't someone who warrants the selection. That being said I think the Bills decision to, essentially, trade away Mahomes means they have an eye towards next years draft. I

 

I'm a pretty decent Tyrod supporter and think we can win games with him but I think he has a pretty low ceiling and that the franchise views him more as a placeholder than potential franchise QB. It will be interesting to see what he does this season because I think our OC should fit his strengths very well. Hopefully with a healthy Sammy and a strong rookie season from Zay Jones we see Tyrod at his best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CWood21    66
5 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

That is always the case and I think after the EJ Manuel debacle the Bills will be much more wary of forcing a pick if there isn't someone who warrants the selection. That being said I think the Bills decision to, essentially, trade away Mahomes means they have an eye towards next years draft.

I mean, it's clear that they didn't have any confidence that Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson was their QBOTF which I applaud them for sticking to their guns and not drafting someone because a need dictated it.  And I think most thought the Manuel pick was a bad pick at the time, but does that create an issue where the Bills are reluctant to draft a QB early?  Or are they going to wade through career journeyman hoping one of them can provide productive play?  I think if you're looking for a QB who gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, you're likely picking first overall and I'm not sure the Bills are that void of talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's clear that they didn't have any confidence that Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson was their QBOTF which I applaud them for sticking to their guns and not drafting someone because a need dictated it.  And I think most thought the Manuel pick was a bad pick at the time, but does that create an issue where the Bills are reluctant to draft a QB early?  Or are they going to wade through career journeyman hoping one of them can provide productive play?  I think if you're looking for a QB who gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, you're likely picking first overall and I'm not sure the Bills are that void of talent.

I don't necessarily think they'll be overly reluctant to go QB early, IF they have a feeling they can get the guy they see as the future. It was a different FO that made the Manuel pick, and I have a ton more confidence in the new regime. When we traded down with KC to get another 1st next year, my initial reaction (as well as probably most other Bills fans) was that we were going to look for that guy next year, but it's also possible that we may be looking to get more weapons/protection to help Tyrod be successful, especially if Sammy leaves (which I expect, tbh).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had a chance to watch many Bills games, but why is there a mentality that Taylor can't be enough to go forward with?  Big rushing threat, low on turnovers, alright enough completion percentage...

You could do a lot worse at QB than Taylor, so why is it imperative that the Bills get a QB in order to stand a fighting chance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CWood21    66
1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I haven't had a chance to watch many Bills games, but why is there a mentality that Taylor can't be enough to go forward with?  Big rushing threat, low on turnovers, alright enough completion percentage...

You could do a lot worse at QB than Taylor, so why is it imperative that the Bills get a QB in order to stand a fighting chance? 

I think it has more to do with that QB purgatory mentality more than anything else.  Can Tyrod Taylor get you to the playoffs?  Probably.  Will he ever be a Super Bowl winning QB? Probably not.  At some point, they're going to need to find a QB that can get them over the hump because quite frankly I don't see Taylor as a guy whose going to lead a team to a Super Bowl.  He's more of a guy who is going to succeed with a strong supporting cast around him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CWood21    66
7 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

A healthy Sammy Watkins.

What are your expectations from him?  I'm assuming you believe he'll return to his 2015 form.  Weren't there trade rumors out there this past offseason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What are your expectations from him?  I'm assuming you believe he'll return to his 2015 form.  Weren't there trade rumors out there this past offseason?

If he's healthy I expect him to play like a top 10 receiver. Didn't really buy into the rumors. Doesn't make sense to trade him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CWood21 said:

I think it has more to do with that QB purgatory mentality more than anything else.  Can Tyrod Taylor get you to the playoffs?  Probably.  Will he ever be a Super Bowl winning QB? Probably not.  At some point, they're going to need to find a QB that can get them over the hump because quite frankly I don't see Taylor as a guy whose going to lead a team to a Super Bowl.  He's more of a guy who is going to succeed with a strong supporting cast around him.

I don't understand why more teams aren't realizing that there are two ways to win Super Bowls:

1. Find a top 5 QB who is good enough to overlook holes elsewhere.

2. Have a top 20 QB who is good enough to get you to the playoffs and be able to spend your money elsewhere and build a dominant team around that QB.

Russell Wilson has developed into a top QB, but when they won their first Super Bowl with him, he was NOT a top 5 QB.  They had a hell of a defense and an investment of a low draft pick at QB and virtually no QB salary. 

The Broncos won a Super Bowl with a top 20 QB (Manning was NOT a top 5 QB the year they won, he was barely even average and relied exclusively on intelligence).

The Cowboys are poised to compete for a Super Bowl through the duration of Dak's rookie deal.

The Redskins found a better QB in the fourth round than they did second overall.

Yes, you obviously want a top 10 or 5 QB, but the risk of getting rid of a top 18-ish QB like Taylor when you could trade that for a bust is just not the risk I'd take.  If I thought I had a QB that could be a top 16 QB for the next four to five years, I'd go with that and build my team around that.  Otherwise, you might just end up like the Jets, Browns, Bears...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×