Player Rankings

ny92mike

7 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Hey Mike:

QB: Russ way too low, Eli way too high. Otherwise I can get behind those rankings as basically every QB aside from Mahomes had uneven seasons

RB: Kinda shocked about Mixon at 4. Conner at 5 seems a tad too high. I'd rank McCaffrey a bit higher, but I think you're taking into account only running stats, not receiving right?

WR: ODB and AJ Green are criminally low. Do you take into account injuries? Neither played 16 games and it seems to make them drop in your rankings. Not surprised to see Evans this high given you're taking only stats into account, but I'd put him in the Juju/Thielen/Thomas tier instead of the Nuke/Brown/Julio/Tyreek tier.

That being said, aside from those cases, I think those rankings reflect well the dynamics of the 18 season. Good work

Thanks for taking the time to look it over and give your take on it.

Thomas gave me some helpful advice on producing a more accurate rating by removing the bulk stats by dividing it by attempts.  Which drops Eli and raises Russell so I'll continue to play around with those numbers to refine this.

As for running backs, yes, this is only looking at rushing stats, otherwise McCaffrey would be higher I'm also looking to apply the process Thomas mentioned for running backs and see where that puts these guys.

WR and all positions really I'm not accounting for game played which is why you'll see players with fewer receptions or attempts drop in this system.  

I got this ranking system from something I did years ago by trying to project the scores which I used team stats vs player stats where the number of wins had a higher correlation to the number of attempts.  While it works well for that, it's looking like I need to focus on what Thomas suggested to account for injuries and/or lack of playing time.  I still believe that more attempts says something about the player.  Doing it by removing the bulk stats it creates a need for non-qualifiers which is something I was looking to avoid because I'd like to apply a grade for every player, without having to break them out into groups based on the number of attempts.  But I knew when I posted this, that I'd be making changes based on the feedback and if it comes to needing to break them out I will.

Again appreciate the feedback.

Appreciate the feedback guys.  I changed some things up if you guys wouldn't mind saying if this ranking looks better than the previous.  This brings several of the players you mentioned up or down from where they were originally at.  There are some guys that still should be dropped from the list because of the small amount of attempts.

On this version, I put an additional column in Passing and Rushing to show their rushing grade for passing and receiving grade for rushing.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EF4qLuBvtlLNSDQTPLpq1WEvn4QyvjqrDI3FhQwz684/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by ny92mike

So I've applied the same formula to the previous two seasons just to see how it compares to other years.  A couple things; I haven't adjusted the standings, so the strength of schedule, wins, pct or net points aren't accurate, but it doesn't effect the results using this process.  Also, I've hidden the PFF grades because they don't apply.

2016 Ranking

2017 Ranking

13 hours ago, ny92mike said:

So I've applied the same formula to the previous two seasons just to see how it compares to other years.  A couple things; I haven't adjusted the standings, so the strength of schedule, wins, pct or net points aren't accurate, but it doesn't effect the results using this process.  Also, I've hidden the PFF grades because they don't apply.

2016 Ranking

2017 Ranking

Kizer was ahead of Rodgers last year even though he had 5 less TDs and 16 more INTs. 65% completions to 54%. Even though Kizer has a lot more snaps he obviously didn't have a better season so the bulk stats lie to us. Kizer somehow needs to go from 24th towards the bottom.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Kizer was ahead of Rodgers last year even though he had 5 less TDs and 16 more INTs. 65% completions to 54%. Even though Kizer has a lot more snaps he obviously didn't have a better season so the bulk stats lie to us. Kizer somehow needs to go from 24th towards the bottom.

I think you're looking at nfl ranking because ive got kizer in the 50's.

My system is listed in light blue cells.

Edited by ny92mike