Film Room on MT

dll2000

Fair criticism and observations of MT.

I think his admitted weird conclusion that MT is good under pressure and bad when things are going good is not true though.   He makes right reasoning that Mitch thinking too much hurts his play.

But that is true of everyone and not weird.  Any complicated job that you are new at takes time to learn and become rote.  When thinking becomes less. That is part that near every evaluator skips.  

I took my bike to get get tubes replaced.  It would have taken me at least an hour to do probably two because I havent done it since I was 12 and never on a geared bike.  I took bike out of my car and pulled around building to pick it up and man already had it replaced and done by time I got to other side.  He had done it 10k times. 

It used to be axiomatic that QBs would be bad early and if talented they would grow, some wouldn't.  Because many have succeeded out of gate we are throwing all that out now I guess.

Experience has to be experienced.  There is no short cut.   

• Like 1

Every Kollman video I take one really good point from.  Almost always not his main point.

He is 100% on his inconsistent lower body mechanics screwing up a lot of his throws.  He doesnt have the monster arm that can over come it like you see in some other wild QBs.  He has a big arm, but not a cannon. 

Mitch is going to have to eventually become more Brady and less Favre to be really good.  Not saying he shouldnt run and scramble, he should.  He shouldn't run and try to make the monster throw.  When he does make long throws he needs to use his legs/hips to make accurate throw. 

• Like 1

Part of what made Montana great was if defense gave him an opening to run he would take it and this was before slides.  He did that do many times on third down.  It used to frustrate me to no end.  We stopped Rice and Taylor and Montana runs up middle for 7 and a first. 

The opening had to be big and it almost always came after a progression or two, but he kept so many drives alive doing that.  

You could not get him out off the field. 

• Like 1

I'll agree that Mitch is not without his flaws both physical and mental but nothing is there that can't be fixed with patience and coaching.

I'll also agree that it is hard to evaluate him.  He played just one season as a starter in college so unlike others he didn't have the consistent quality coaching a 3 or 4 year starter may have had.  He came complete with flaws in his technique that would need to be fixed and I believe Pace knew all of that.

Year one he gets to play in John Fox's offense which couldn't have helped much despite having Ragone as his QB coach and Loggains as his OC who probably would have done more for him if he'd been allowed to so overall it was pretty much a wasted year.  Last season was in effect his true rookie season.

I saw enough to feel that he's capable of becoming a very good NFL QB but he'll need continual prodding from Nagy and coaching from Ragone, Helfrich, and Nagy to reach his pinnacle whatever that may be.  I don't see Brady as much as I do a Brady/Rodgers hybrid whose unpredictability may be an advantage.

Whatever the end result Mitch is as good a prospect as we've seen in a decade given that unlike Cutler, Pace is assuring Mitch of having the support and tools he needs to succeed.  If he fails it won't be due to lack of support from his GM and coaches.  Pace is making it as easy for him as he's able to do.

• Like 2

Saw this pop up on my YouTube feed the other day but I hadn't watched it yet.  That's good analysis about the hips, but I think there is something to be said about the first game back from injury and I'm glad he did add that context.  People have been questioning how MT10 was 4th in QBR, and he nailed the explanation spot on.  QBR heavily weights 3rd down and 4th QTR efficiency, and when 10 just stopped thinking and played the same game hes played all his life his talent that got him drafted 2nd overall was on full display.  Based on the comments we have heard so far this offseason, I think we now know that Mitch was not always comfortable in what he was doing in the offense and I think evaluator broke that down really well, but I dont think he gets the context behind that.  Going from the archaic Fox offense to Nagys detailed spread coast offense is like going from HS Algebra to PHD level mathematics.  It didnt help that the offense had to be adjusted on the fly, right before the season started and we saw growth over the course if the season.  Now if 10 is still inconsistent in his reads this year, that will be a cause for concern, but if he stops thinking about what hes doing and just plays football, I think the rest of the league should be very, very concerned.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Part of what made Montana great was if defense gave him an opening to run he would take it and this was before slides.  He did that do many times on third down.  It used to frustrate me to no end.  We stopped Rice and Taylor and Montana runs up middle for 7 and a first. 

The opening had to be big and it almost always came after a progression or two, but he kept so many drives alive doing that.  

You could not get him out off the field. 

Funny you mention Montana. When you posted "more Brady and less Favre" I was immediately thinking Steve Young is a really good comp for what Tru could play like.

He has wheels like Young so his legs are a constant weapon, but Young also didn't have an elite arm. Young also was able to protect the ball with good placement and touch, but Walsh, Holmgren, and especially Shanahan did a great job of using his legs to create passing lanes. If the defense had the perfect playcall then Young would take a few yards on a run or toss it to keep from making a big mistake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Funny you mention Montana. When you posted "more Brady and less Favre" I was immediately thinking Steve Young is a really good comp for what Tru could play like.

He has wheels like Young so his legs are a constant weapon, but Young also didn't have an elite arm. Young also was able to protect the ball with good placement and touch, but Walsh, Holmgren, and especially Shanahan did a great job of using his legs to create passing lanes. If the defense had the perfect playcall then Young would take a few yards on a run or toss it to keep from making a big mistake.

Yes.  Good comp.  If MT could be 8/10ths of Young I would be really happy.