What if the Vikings resigned Daunte Culpepper?

Danger

25 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Explains why he had his best season in 04 with Moss injured for half the season and his best receiver being Nate Burleson for the majority of the year.  And why he played on a level that year that would have won MVP any other season but 2004 Peyton Manning just happened to be even more historically great

I do not think Culpepper would have won the MVP with an 8-8 record and 3-7 in the last 10 games (even if it was not his fault) even if Manning would not have had a historic season.

The record is very important to have the MVP.

11 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I do not think Culpepper would have won the MVP with an 8-8 record and 3-7 in the last 10 games (even if it was not his fault) even if Manning would not have had a historic season.

The record is very important to have the MVP.

Playoffs is the bench mark imo. Oj simpson and Johnny unitas are the only 2 that haven't been to the playoffs. 

Edited by thebestever6

4 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

I feel like this needs an explanation.

Teddy gets hurt, after having a strong preseason

Vikings trade a 1st for Bradford

Sam Bradford starts 15 games for the Vikings (with Fox hilariously posting his face on Bridgewater's body multiple times on their game previews)

Carson Wentz becomes a starter and begins an early development

2016 plays out and Minnesota misses the playoffs without their original starter. Philly misses the playoffs as well but are trending up.

Eagles draft Derek Barnett with the 1st they received from Minnesota (they didn't own theirs, Cleveland did)

Without Bradford, the Eagles sign Nick Foles as a backup (the same guy Minnesota missed out on signing the previous year due to a cheap offer)

2017 Bradford only plays 2 games for Minnesota, being called on as the real starter that season

2017 Wentz rocks out until he gets hurt. Insert Foles

Both Minny and Philly make the playoffs, and play each other in the NFCCG. Philly wins

In the last minutes of the game, Derek Barnett recovers a fumble in the Superbowl to help beat New England.

2 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Explains why he had his best season in 04 with Moss injured for half the season and his best receiver being Nate Burleson for the majority of the year.  And why he played on a level that year that would have won MVP any other season but 2004 Peyton Manning just happened to be even more historically great

Moss still played in 13 games that year. Sure, he battled through some injuries, but defenses still focused on him. Culpepper developed in an offense that featured Moss drawing regular double coverage. Make him read an entire field without Moss as the focal point, I think there was legit struggles. 

7 hours ago, Danger said:

Doubt it. You guys were losing that game with or without Bridgewater at QB.

Unfortunately, we will never know.  I was just joking with my response above, but either way, I have no doubt that the game would have been a LOT more competitive with a healthy Bridgewater at QB than with Case Keenum.  He threw it away early and we never recovered.  Not to take away anything from the Eagles.  You had a great team that year and won it all, fair and square.  Hopefully, we will have a rematch in the NFCCG again this year.  ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Teddy gets hurt, after having a strong preseason

Vikings trade a 1st for Bradford

Sam Bradford starts 15 games for the Vikings (with Fox hilariously posting his face on Bridgewater's body multiple times on their game previews)

Carson Wentz becomes a starter and begins an early development

2016 plays out and Minnesota misses the playoffs without their original starter. Philly misses the playoffs as well but are trending up.

Eagles draft Derek Barnett with the 1st they received from Minnesota (they didn't own theirs, Cleveland did)

Without Bradford, the Eagles sign Nick Foles as a backup (the same guy Minnesota missed out on signing the previous year due to a cheap offer)

2017 Bradford only plays 2 games for Minnesota, being called on as the real starter that season

2017 Wentz rocks out until he gets hurt. Insert Foles

Both Minny and Philly make the playoffs, and play each other in the NFCCG. Philly wins

In the last minutes of the game, Derek Barnett recovers a fumble in the Superbowl to help beat New England.

Without Teddy's injury, I wonder who the Vikings would have taken with the first round pick we had to give up for Bradford?

20 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Without Teddy's injury, I wonder who the Vikings would have taken with the first round pick we had to give up for Bradford?

I wondered the same. Maybe we take a RB even earlier?

If Teddy's injury ends his career, do we trade up to get Trubisky, Watson or Mahomes?

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I wondered the same. Maybe we take a RB even earlier?

If Teddy's injury ends his career, do we trade up to get Trubisky, Watson or Mahomes?

I'm not sure about the running backs.  As far as the QB's are concerned, that probably would have been the thing to do with the benefit of hindsight.  At the same time, that was the year we were unveiling the new stadium so my guess is that the Wilfs had a lot of pressure on them to "win now" so they wouldn't have wanted to start all over with a rookie QB on an otherwise stacked roster.  It sure would have been nice if we could have gotten Mahomes though.  Man, that would have been amazing.  

• Like 1