What's the deal with this guy? Ravens Edition

sp6488

Thought we could start a thread for "explain it to me" type questions for individual players.  Can be anything: why do people like this player?  why does this player not get more love? why did this player get resigned? etc.

To kick it off, what's wrong with Antoine Wesley that made him undrafted?  He has looked pretty good in the two preseason games and went to a big program (with big production).  A few key notes from his draft profile:

Strengths:
Uses length to play over and around opponents
"Elite ball skills" is not hyperbole
Hands are automatic
Rare concentration and hand-eye coordination
High school high-jumper with excessive catch radius

Makes deep ball stabs as late as possible to maintain chase speed
Stays on feet for additional yards after off-balance catches
Runs crafted routes with a purpose
Sharper route breaks than average for tall target
Creates workable space through positioning and short-area effort
Gets head around instantly to look for ball out of breaks
Put two touchdowns on Texas CB Kris Boyd

Not sure what his speed is like (apparently it's not great), but he seems like a player that should have been drafted.  What am I missing?

Not that I think it’s a reason to not go drafted, that I think we’re on the same page with.

Wesley only had one year or collegiate production before coming out. As you mentioned he’s quicker than he is fast, so the lack of gamebreaking speed probably didn’t have him standout as much. He also played for a program that was known for producing plenty of passing yards and thus his opportunity share of the offense likely wasn’t all that special even though he accounted for 1400 receiving yards. Lastly, looking at his Ravens profile you see that he’s 6’4” 206 lbs. However it seems he must have bulked up some to this point because when you look at sports reference listing he comes in at 6’5” 185 lbs. Which would make him smaller lbs for lbs than Hollywood Brown.

So you have a prospect with a frail frame, a poor breakout age, that doesn’t have any physically elite traits, that plays for a program with inflated passing numbers, and who hasn’t an extended resume producing and it could make sense why you wouldn’t target that guy in the draft. 

Though you still would think someone would have taken a shot on a tall WR with length, quickness, and great hands.

Yea I don't know. I loved Wesley throughout the process and specifically I thought he was a great fit for us. He had highlight reel blocks to go along with his receiving highlights, and I thought his film was early round worthy. Not the 1st Round obviously, but if we had picked him instead of Boykin I would've been fine with it at the time. 

Wesley tested as an average athlete. Also as DB mentioned that 1 year of production is always going to give FOs pause, and him coming out of Texas Tech probably wasn't going to make scouts 'pound the table' for him. Even though Pat Mahomes was an offensive juggernaut in the league. There's still a stigma about their players for some.

In the end I would it put on the depth in the past few WR classes more than anything else. The top end of the classes have been lacking for a while, but the depth of the WR classes recently has been Thicc as F&^K. I mean in 2018 Trey Quinn was Mr. Irrelevant. Look at who went undrafted this year besides Wesley. There was just so much incoming talent at the position.

Hopefully those same FOs that didn't want him stay away when he's on our PS. Why would they want him anyway right? He sucks. Liar

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

So you have a prospect with a frail frame, a poor breakout age, that doesn’t have any physically elite traits, that plays for a program with inflated passing numbers, and who hasn’t an extended resume producing and it could make sense why you wouldn’t target that guy in the draft. 

Plus being from an AIr Raid offense he ran a limited route tree, and the fact that there were a lot of similarly rated WRs in his draft class as DK mentioned

• Like 1