Off-Topic Fantasy Football

Jeezy Fanatic

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Interesting strategy is this. It's the relative value strategy that I've used to many a FF championship. 

We all know who we'd draft in the first 2-3 rounds, right? But after that it quickly becomes a game of "who do I take?" and here's where you can win or lose your FF season.

I'll give you a scenario (the numbers are the fantasy points that you have projected them to score this season).

Let's say you're drafting in the middle of that 12 team draft and the following players are available in the 4th round or later.

Available RBs

and on down by 2 points each

Available TEs

Available WRs

Most FF drafters would see those points and think "I'll grab the WR who I projected to score 150 points".

My answer? WRONG!!

You go for the TE.

Why?

Because the drop off for the other remaining TEs is huge. The middle to late rounds of the draft are an object lesson in opportunity cost. If you forego the TE for the WR, yeah, you're getting more total projected points for that one round. But by the time you actually get back around to drafting a TE, you're left with the dregs. Meanwhile you could have drafted the TE, and then still had a pretty comparable RB or WR in the remaining rounds.

It's worked wonders for me in many FF seasons. I've literally only missed the playoffs once since I've started playing FF and 50% of the time I'm at least playing for the championship.

I like this system only I’d argue it varies year to year. This season I think there’s no TE worth taking in the 4th. Only my opinion, but if I don’t shoot for Kelce, Kittle or Ertz, I wouldn’t consider the Engram, OJ crew until I at least have my solid RB and WR2. Since my main leagues (defending champ) draft is over I’d really like to go back and match up your numbers with the picks. Last year I took Njoku in the 11th and was happy he at least suited up every week. This year it’s Vance McDonald in the 10th

6 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Mods - please delete as needed if this isn't worthy of a new thread.

Let's talk some fantasy football here. Since we don't root for a franchise that will win on Sundays, we may as well spread some knowledge so we have fantasy teams that do.

I'll start, I'm in a 12 team super-flex league and need to keep 3 players, no draft pick penalty. Choices to consider are:

Baker Mayfield

Tyreek Hill

Nick Chubb

Saquon Barkley

I think Saquon and Tyreek are pretty clear and obvious choices (assuming morality doesn't play a factor), so between Baker and Chubb who do you prefer (keeping in mind the format, with most weeks 24 QBs playing).

I keep Barkley, Chubb and Tyreek. Grab your WR 2 and than pound away at the QBs. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

I like this system only I’d argue it varies year to year. This season I think there’s no TE worth taking in the 4th. Only my opinion, but if I don’t shoot for Kelce, Kittle or Ertz, I wouldn’t consider the Engram, OJ crew until I at least have my solid RB and WR2. Since my main leagues (defending champ) draft is over I’d really like to go back and match up your numbers with the picks. Last year I took Njoku in the 11th and was happy he at least suited up every week. This year it’s Vance McDonald in the 10th

Oh yeah, it absolutely varies year to year.

Wanna know an ugly secret? For as much crap as I give my friends who are Cowgirls fans, I rode Tony Romo to 3 straight championships and a 4th "almost" championship (lost by 2 points). I knew that they all remembered the pickles he threw. But forgot the TDs and the yards he would throw for that balance it out. So I'd deliberately avoid getting a QB until like the 5th or 6th round and then I would take Romo as my QB1. They laughed at me when I would select him and joked about him throwing 5 INTs. Meanwhile for 4-5 rounds I stocked up on the other positions and they were left with a "marquee" QB and not much else. Romo would still throw 4 INTs in a game. But he's also throw for like 500 yards and 4 TDs too.

Championship

15 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

I keep Barkley, Chubb and Tyreek. Grab your WR 2 and than pound away at the QBs. 

I agree. You've got your RB1, RB2 and WR1 set. Grab your QB,TE, and a WR2 in the first 3 rounds and then depending upon the scoring rules, fill out the rest of the roster.

Oh and this goes without saying.

If you have a 16 round draft?

Round 15 = Defense

Round 16 = Kicker

Taking either any higher is dumb IMHO as when you look at how they score relative to the others, the difference in fantasy points is usually not all that much (*). I'd much rather stock up on another WR/RB/TE who would be better for me.

(*) Sure, occasionally you will have outliers in a given year who blow up and score lots of TDs or get lots of turnovers, but by and large, look at the top 10 fantasy defenses the last 10 years and look at the fantasy points they scored. And you'll see not that much difference between #1 and #10. Which goes back to my point differential way of drafting.

7 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Mods - please delete as needed if this isn't worthy of a new thread.

Let's talk some fantasy football here. Since we don't root for a franchise that will win on Sundays, we may as well spread some knowledge so we have fantasy teams that do.

I'll start, I'm in a 12 team super-flex league and need to keep 3 players, no draft pick penalty. Choices to consider are:

Baker Mayfield

Tyreek Hill

Nick Chubb

Saquon Barkley

I think Saquon and Tyreek are pretty clear and obvious choices (assuming morality doesn't play a factor), so between Baker and Chubb who do you prefer (keeping in mind the format, with most weeks 24 QBs playing).

Tyreek Hill is very hit or miss, and there are plenty of offensive weapons on the Chiefs.  If I recall, over half of his games he went kinda silent.  If you can live with that, keep him.  Id probably keep Hill, Chubb and Barkley, but I can easily see Mayfield going out for Hill if you want consistent points.  

41 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Oh yeah, it absolutely varies year to year.

Wanna know an ugly secret? For as much crap as I give my friends who are Cowgirls fans, I rode Tony Romo to 3 straight championships and a 4th "almost" championship (lost by 2 points). I knew that they all remembered the pickles he threw. But forgot the TDs and the yards he would throw for that balance it out. So I'd deliberately avoid getting a QB until like the 5th or 6th round and then I would take Romo as my QB1. They laughed at me when I would select him and joked about him throwing 5 INTs. Meanwhile for 4-5 rounds I stocked up on the other positions and they were left with a "marquee" QB and not much else. Romo would still throw 4 INTs in a game. But he's also throw for like 500 yards and 4 TDs too.

Championship

Romo had me in the championships in one league three years running.  I wouldn't keep him, but everyone else kept QBs and didn't want him so I'd get insane value on him each year.  

In my current primary league (where I know people in real life, and we've done this for 10 seasons) we keep four players.  The year EE got drafted, I kept no one, meaning I had my pick of everyone through the keeper rounds, and then had the #2 pick.  So I got back the two players I wanted to keep, and added EE.  After three years of playoffs, I won last year.  The commissioner's FIL will not draft any Dallas players, and I say more for me.  It's stupid to handicap yourself in fantasy based on personal feelings.  The TV show The League even makes this obvious when Pete benches AD in the championship.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Romo had me in the championships in one league three years running.  I wouldn't keep him, but everyone else kept QBs and didn't want him so I'd get insane value on him each year.  

In my current primary league (where I know people in real life, and we've done this for 10 seasons) we keep four players.  The year EE got drafted, I kept no one, meaning I had my pick of everyone through the keeper rounds, and then had the #2 pick.  So I got back the two players I wanted to keep, and added EE.  After three years of playoffs, I won last year.  The commissioner's FIL will not draft any Dallas players, and I say more for me.  It's stupid to handicap yourself in fantasy based on personal feelings.  The TV show The League even makes this obvious when Pete benches AD in the championship.  

I’ve won several championships with McNabb, Westbrook, and Vick as an eagle in the 00’s, actually 2010 for Vick. I’m in NY and in my league all the Giants go a round early, same for Dallas as I got 2 Cowgirl fans. If I was at #1 this year Saquon would be a “Big Dog”, yet I was at 3 and Kamara was an easy choice over Zeke

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

I’ve won several championships with McNabb, Westbrook, and Vick as an eagle in the 00’s, actually 2010 for Vick. I’m in NY and in my league all the Giants go a round early, same for Dallas as I got 2 Cowgirl fans. If I was at #1 this year Saquon would be a “Big Dog”, yet I was at 3 and Kamara was an easy choice over Zeke

Exactly.  I just laugh at the people who handcuff themselves.  Give me the players who are going to win me the game.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Oh and this goes without saying.

If you have a 16 round draft?

Round 15 = Defense

Round 16 = Kicker

Taking either any higher is dumb IMHO as when you look at how they score relative to the others, the difference in fantasy points is usually not all that much (*). I'd much rather stock up on another WR/RB/TE who would be better for me.

(*) Sure, occasionally you will have outliers in a given year who blow up and score lots of TDs or get lots of turnovers, but by and large, look at the top 10 fantasy defenses the last 10 years and look at the fantasy points they scored. And you'll see not that much difference between #1 and #10. Which goes back to my point differential way of drafting.

I co-sign this.  I may go kicker a round early, but I've also used the strategy of trying to match kickers with the opposing QB throughout the year as well.  Picking a defense super early though is one of the dumbest moves I've seen people make, outside of the overslots of Mahomes this year.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Well I was thinking late 2nd if Kelce is still there pull the trigger.  Late second would mean I’d have an early first, which means a top RB.  Then I could have a legit starting RB, the top TE and a solid WR at the top of the 3rd.

I think that's good. Guys like Amari Cooper or Julian Edelman are going in the 4th, so you could even go back to RB in the 3rd and be fine.

• Like 1

Draft was this morning, I had the 10th pick in a 10 man league.  The RBs got picked over pretty strong in front of me so I opted for an interesting strategy:

1 - WR Odell Beckham Jr.

2 - TE Travis Kelce

3 - HB Chris Carson

4 - HB Aaron Jones

5 - WR DJ Moore

6 - WR AJ Green

7 - QB Carson Wentz

8 - HB Kenyan Drake

9 - HB Rasahaad Penny

10 - HB Peyton Barber

11 - WR Golden Tate

12 - WR Anthony Miller

13 - QB Jameis Winston

14 - DEF Jaguars

15 - HB Alfred Morris

16 - K Wil Lutz

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Draft was this morning, I had the 10th pick in a 10 man league.  The RBs got picked over pretty strong in front of me so I opted for an interesting strategy:

1 - WR Odell Beckham Jr.

2 - TE Travis Kelce

3 - HB Chris Carson

4 - HB Aaron Jones

5 - WR DJ Moore

6 - WR AJ Green

7 - QB Carson Wentz

8 - HB Kenyan Drake

9 - HB Rasahaad Penny

10 - HB Peyton Barber

11 - WR Golden Tate

12 - WR Anthony Miller

13 - QB Jameis Winston

14 - DEF Jaguars

15 - HB Alfred Morris

16 - K Wil Lutz

What were the first 9 picks? Just asking. I'm wondering why Beckham at 10. Just wondering who else was available at WR. Kelce at 11 I get completely. Great pick.

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

1 - WR Odell Beckham Jr.

2 - TE Travis Kelce

3 - HB Chris Carson

4 - HB Aaron Jones

5 - WR DJ Moore

6 - WR AJ Green

7 - QB Carson Wentz

8 - HB Kenyan Drake

9 - HB Rasahaad Penny

10 - HB Peyton Barber

11 - WR Golden Tate

12 - WR Anthony Miller

13 - QB Jameis Winston

14 - DEF Jaguars

15 - HB Alfred Morris

16 - K Wil Lutz

Its not bad.  I'm picking Tate this year if he falls like that.  I did the same with Edelman last year.  Drake is a good value pickup at that point, and I think the Arians offense is going to be good for Winston.  You may have an excellent trade candidate at the midway point. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

What were the first 9 picks? Just asking. I'm wondering why Beckham at 10. Just wondering who else was available at WR. Kelce at 11 I get completely. Great pick.

In order:

Saquon

McCaffrey

Kamara

Elliot

Chubb

D Johnson

D Hopkins 

Gurley 

D Adams

I also considered Julio and Le’Veon 

Edited by MKnight82