Around the NFL 2019

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, so I'm not worried about the Titans as long as Mariota is starting. He holds that team WAY back.

Idk what I’m even doing lurking around the Texans forum at 1:30 in the morning but you shouldn’t worry about us even if he wasn’t starting lol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Idk what I’m even doing lurking around the Texans forum at 1:30 in the morning but you shouldn’t worry about us even if he wasn’t starting lol

I like your WRs and TEs, and the run game is pretty good overall. I can't help but to think someone who processes information quickly could do wonders. I know a lot of people don't like Jake Fromm, but I think he turns the Titans into an immediate contender.

51 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I like your WRs and TEs, and the run game is pretty good overall. I can't help but to think someone who processes information quickly could do wonders. I know a lot of people don't like Jake Fromm, but I think he turns the Titans into an immediate contender.

Yeah coaching is becoming a problem now though. Our OC is in way over his head. Vrabel was awful in the end of the Indianapolis last week, awful by continuing to let Adoree Jackson return punts when he’s proven over and over again he’s bad at it, bad 4th down gamble last night....I could go on but he hasn’t had us prepared to play at all these last 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

Just now, dtait93 said:

Yeah coaching is becoming a problem now though. Our OC is in way over his head. Vrabel was awful in the end of the Indianapolis last week, awful by continuing to let Adoree Jackson return punts when he’s proven over and over again he’s bad at it, bad 4th down gamble last night....I could go on but he hasn’t had us prepared to play at all these last 3 weeks. 

It's not a surprise... Vrabel's from the Bill O'Brien coaching tree. These are normal Sunday afternoons as a Texans' fan for the past six seasons. Team starts off slow every game, like they're not ready for who they are playing? Yup. Questionable decisions with challenges, clock management, down and distance situations? Check. Putting out incorrect people at critical positions because someone is "a hard worker" and "a good teammate"? Yeah, that's us. Zero in-game awareness in the 4th quarter of a very close game? Oh yeah, that's us.

Just PRAY that he doesn't become your GM. Holy hell... xD

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's not a surprise... Vrabel's from the Bill O'Brien coaching tree. These are normal Sunday afternoons as a Texans' fan for the past six seasons. Team starts off slow every game, like they're not ready for who they are playing? Yup. Questionable decisions with challenges, clock management, down and distance situations? Check. Putting out incorrect people at critical positions because someone is "a hard worker" and "a good teammate"? Yeah, that's us. Zero in-game awareness in the 4th quarter of a very close game? Oh yeah, that's us.

Just PRAY that he doesn't become your GM. Holy hell... xD

Yeah... last year has proven to be nothing more than a mirage so far.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, dtait93 said:

Yeah... last year has proven to be nothing more than a mirage so far.

It is mind boggling to me how the archetype of the "football coach" continues to be recycled as some "hard nosed, intense, leader of men."  O'Brien added the Ivy League education to the mix along with the Belichickian stoacism with the media and Vrabel just seemed like he "fit the role out of central casting" by "looking presidential" despite evidence he had already exceeded his skillset which was coaching linebackers.  What I see over and over and over in these types is stubborness, lack of creativity, inability to acknowledge their own failings and weaknesses and correct them and with O'Brien an incredibility thin skin. You can shine your helmet, come up with a scary "war face", and slap people around, but without the strategic tactics it's all just bluster as the simple fact is that more than ever, being able to outsmart an opponent is far more important than being able to run him over (except ironically with Vrabel who doesn't seem to understand that Henry running people over is the smart play).  

I'm not saying that they are dummies, because they aren't, but this "linebacker" mentality just doesn't work anymore.  Patton could ride around on his trusty steed inspiring troops all day long and demand strict adherence to military protocols and pressed uniforms, but in this era it's the information that is power when the reality is that some pencil necked geek with a mouse in a back room could guide a drone strike that takes out Rommel while sparing the platoon the casualties.   It's like 2/3rds of football coaches are still out there playing small ball and bunting runners over to 2nd and hoping for a 2 out double while the other 3rd are out there bombing multiple 3-run homers with launch angle and cutting down baserunners with defensive analytics. 

O'Brien and Vrabel both seem to have no ability to adapt to the actual players strengths on their team, but rather think their systems if executed as designed will overcome any weaknesses.  Take your most talented employees and clear ways for them to excel is the model that works, not this "system" where everyone is part of some machine that is easily broken if one part isn't working as well as the others.  We're all impressed with your Ivy League rowing cred, but this aint a regatta on glassy waters, but rather whitewater racing and the unconventional guy in the kayak who can properly equip his rig and read how the rapids are moving that day is going to dust your coxswain every time.  That's as good of a place to end as any - O'Brien may have the megaphone, but when the water gets rough he sucks as coxs!       

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Mahomes ankle a little banged up heading into our matchup 👀

We lost to Kyle Allen, so I'm not banking on an ankle injury to the best QB in the NFL as something that'll really help.

• 2 weeks later...