Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're right in that I shouldn't be putting this all on the OL coach.

More specifically, the loss of institutional knowledge on how to develop OL is the issue that bothers me. And that's turnover of a lot more than the coaching staff.

I think not getting the right athletes in the door lately is also to blame. Everyone always acts like the OL guys that UW or Iowa bring in are just "big ole farm boys" but I remember lots of talks with my coach at UWO (where the state all-star game is played every year) and how he sat up in his office and watched how freaky guys like Travis Frederick, Ricky Wagner, Kevin Zietler, Gabe Carimi moved for their size and age. Also how Joe Thomas was a straight up alien when it came to athletic ability.

Don't think recruiting services did justice on a lot of upper Midwest OL. They were athletes more than farm boys. They've kind of self-corrected now and other teams outside the area have caught on too. It's not just UW/Iowa/OSU only that's recruiting these guys anymore, the cat is out of the bag. We need to beat Notre Dame, PSU, OSU and the SEC for these guys now. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I think not getting the right athletes in the door lately is also to blame. Everyone always acts like the OL guys that UW or Iowa bring in are just "big ole farm boys" but I remember lots of talks with my coach at UWO (where the state all-star game is played every year) and how he sat up in his office and watched how freaky guys like Travis Frederick, Ricky Wagner, Kevin Zietler, Gabe Carimi moved for their size and age. Also how Joe Thomas was a straight up alien when it came to athletic ability.

Don't think recruiting services did justice on a lot of upper Midwest OL. They were athletes more than farm boys. They've kind of self-corrected now and other teams outside the area have caught on too. It's not just UW/Iowa/OSU only that's recruiting these guys anymore, the cat is out of the bag. We need to beat Notre Dame, PSU, OSU and the SEC for these guys now. 

Are we going to say Jack Nelson wasn't athletic enough? Malhman? Benz? Rucci?

There's been plenty of talent.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Are we going to say Jack Nelson wasn't athletic enough? Malhman? Benz? Rucci?

There's been plenty of talent.

I'm saying, the OL coaches got more credit than they deserved back then at the expense of the kid's natural talent. 

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm saying, the OL coaches got more credit than they deserved back then at the expense of the kid's natural talent. 

Even if the talent has been equal coming in over the past 20 years, the output hasn't been good enough and that's on the program as a whole.

I don't know what you're trying to point out here. Are you satisfied with how we're developing OL compared to how we used to?

17 hours ago, beekay414 said:

We're currently 6 over the 85 man scholarship limit. I wonder who gets processed/transfers?

This would be the group from where I'd expect the transfer outs...

Cole LaCrue
Jackson Acker
Nate White
Cade Yacamelli
Chris Brooks
Tommy McIntosh
Cole Dakovich
James Durand
Barrett Nelson
Michael Jarvis
Jake Chaney
Bryan Sanborn
Max Lofy

Would say Jeff Pietrowski and Aaron Witt but we're so low on EDGE rushers that we need every body there. Don't want to lose Nate White, Chris Brooks or Tommy McIntosh but would understand if they move on.

His contract was not extended, but he was CBs coach at UC for Fickell, during the time he was there he had Sauce and Coby Bryant.

Any chance we shuffle things around and have Haynes coach safeties with Eliano going back to CBs?

Could be, they might just do a "DB coach" and "Pass Game Coordinator" thing too, that's becoming popular.

Hitschler just seems like a huge recruiting loss. He was the primary for Dilin Jones, Kevin Heywood, Omillio Agard, Raphael Dunn, Remington Moss, Ryan Cory and Gideon Ituka