2019 Panthers Season Thread

Zithers2

Since we don't get GDTs anymore! And now a survey!

Are we going to sit Cam for the rest of the season? Should we?

What will our final record be?

Who should we prioritize in free agency? Addison, Butler, Shaq, Bradberry, Poe, Irvin, Daryl, and McCoy are all free agents.

What positions should we target in the draft?

Do you think Rivera and Hurney will survive another mediocre (7-9 to 9-7) record?

Which coaches or GMs do you like?

Should we dump Cam? If not, should we shop Kyle Allen for a monster ransom and rely on Will Grier as a backup?

Do you REALLY think we are about to beat the Titans?

• 2 weeks later...

Say what you want about Newton.  He may have turned the ball over w/ mistakes, but you always knew he could make something out of nothing at anytime.  Allen is the mistakes, without really much of the upside of doing much unless everything around him is executed well.  Just an underwhelming performance against the Packers.  He simply can't push the ball down the field.

And this run defense?  Pathetic.  How do we have a defensive head coach and yet every year, our defense seems to get continually gashed against the best offenses?

Edited by iknowcool

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Say what you want about Newton.  He may have turned the ball over w/ mistakes, but you always knew he could make something out of nothing at anytime.  Allen is the mistakes, without really much of the upside of doing much unless everything around him is executed well.  Just an underwhelming performance against the Packers.  He simply can't push the ball down the field.

And this run defense?  Pathetic.  How do we have a defensive head coach and yet every year, our defense seems to get continually gashed against the best offenses?

I’m sorry, Allen.  You played as well as could have expected and I can’t blame it on you.  The OL after Daley went down was a disgrace.

Yeah, Kyle's got more turnovers than touchdowns now. Might as well put Grier in. We burned a 3rd on him and were hoping he'd be the primary backup. Might as well try it out.

I actually don't think the gameplan was all that bad today. Kyle just made a lot of mistakes. Walked into sacks. Missed throws. Bad decisions. Run defense did well and considering like 75% of our defensive snaps were in our own territory, it's a small miracle we only gave up 29 points. CMC did some statpadding which is about all I can root for going forward.

I guess this is what we get for rushing Cam back from a foot injury and letting his backups be a mid-round rookie and 2nd year UDFA.

I don't know what the solution is but at minimum we need to dump Hurney. And I don't see how Hurney is getting dumped without Rivera also heading out, really... I don't even really think Rivera is that bad of a coach but we have been average with this duo for several years now dating back to pre-Hurney firing and we might as well see if we can do it with someone else. Our only extended success was when Gettleman was building a roster for Rivera.

Maybe we'll bring Dan Morgan in as GM and he'll hire Greg Roman as our new HC. That'd be cool.

8 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

Yeah, Kyle's got more turnovers than touchdowns now. Might as well put Grier in. We burned a 3rd on him and were hoping he'd be the primary backup. Might as well try it out.

I actually don't think the gameplan was all that bad today. Kyle just made a lot of mistakes. Walked into sacks. Missed throws. Bad decisions. Run defense did well and considering like 75% of our defensive snaps were in our own territory, it's a small miracle we only gave up 29 points. CMC did some statpadding which is about all I can root for going forward.

I guess this is what we get for rushing Cam back from a foot injury and letting his backups be a mid-round rookie and 2nd year UDFA.

I don't know what the solution is but at minimum we need to dump Hurney. And I don't see how Hurney is getting dumped without Rivera also heading out, really... I don't even really think Rivera is that bad of a coach but we have been average with this duo for several years now dating back to pre-Hurney firing and we might as well see if we can do it with someone else. Our only extended success was when Gettleman was building a roster for Rivera.

Maybe we'll bring Dan Morgan in as GM and he'll hire Greg Roman as our new HC. That'd be cool.

What do you think they should do with Cam?

On 11/18/2019 at 1:19 AM, Zithers2 said:

Hurney and Rivera are done.  Personally I don't think Hurney's done a bad job, but it's time to clean house.

Team should keep Newton for another year considering it will essentially be a 1yr $19m contract - which is great deal nowadays for even an average QB, which Cam (when healthy) certainly is at minimum.  But they will have to take a strong look at a QB in the first round of 2020 or 2021.  

Kyle Allen is horrendous.  There's no reason to keep playing him.  There's really not much upside to him.  He's physically limited, so he needs to make up for it with a high football IQ which he seems to lack.  The offensive line hasn't played well, but he walked into so many of those edge sacks when he could have stepped into the pocket.

Well, Kyle did a lot better today.

OL was horrific and the redzone playcalling leaves a lot to be desired... sure would be nice if we had #1 toting the rock on the goalline.

Joey Slye needs to make a Kyle Allen-esque bounce back next week or he's done.

Eric Reid getting picked on and us having no answer for Thomas/Kamara lining up together didn't help either. Hadn't seen Reid do that poorly tbh until today.

DJ Moore seems like he's beginning to have things click for him despite two injuries today... Rashan Gaulden is awful/a bust. Moore is now top five in recs and rec yds. CMC also had a solid statpad day as he tries to chase after the YFS record.

Our run defense being so bad despite the pedigree Poe (I realize he was out today), McCoy, Luke, Shaq, Addison, Burns, Irvin.... erm... RON RIVERA.... how is this happening?

Kyle Allen is also horrific. He reminds me of a less wimpy Clausen. He has a weak arm and rolls out to the right CONSTANTLY. We gave up on the run even though we were up or tied for 2.5 quarters (I think - I missed a lot after Olsen's injury and until the final drive). Last play was comical. I was actually laughing out loud.

I'm sure we'll somehow manage to go 7-9 like usual and ruin our pick slot. Not that I mind seeing us winning, mind you. Just pointing it out. At this point I'm fine with us picking literally any position besides RB and ILB, provided we re-sign Shaq obviously. We need help everywhere. Roster is barren. Need a WR, Olsen is getting old, OL is not good except for Trai Turner, DL needs a 5-tech and nose if we stick with a 3-4, we need beefier edge guys instead of Bruce Irvin, we need a good safety for once, Donte and Cockrell are average at best and we need to keep Bradberry... also need a kicker and returner.

Of course we need to find a GM before all that. Ugh.

13 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

So... Greg Roman? Robert Saleh? Kellen Moore? Lincoln Riley??????

I don’t see it with Roman.  He’s got the Ravens playing at an all-time level on offense and he deserves some credit, but he’s doing it with Lamar Jackson.  He’s the only QB that can make that style of offense effective.

He wasn’t very good at the end of his run in 49ers or with the Bills.  Hard pass from me.  

Lincoln Riley would be exciting as hell.  I’m not sure how well he would translate but no denying it would be hype to have a coach like that.  

Edited by iknowcool