Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not expecting much from Cueto, but if that were the case, we could be a pain for someone in a short series. 

Unfortunately, it's the offense that would kind of screw the pooch there. As fun as the team has been, the offense is still just not good lol. we are just in a nice spot of "someone different stepping up every night" right now.

The pitching, for the most part, is fine. Not that I'm trusting Beede or Anderson to pitch well late into the season or anything. But the pitching could certainly be a pain for anyone we were to play. 

honestly, I really like Beede. I think hes figured it out. That change up is really good. But then again I really liked Ty Blach, Derek Rodriguez, and chris heston LOL

Im with you on anderson. hes done pretty well but i dont anticipate it to continue. Hes been hit hard his last few starts with yesterday as the exception

On 7/25/2019 at 4:02 AM, Madridista said:

We should still sell. As much fun as it would be sending Bochy out with another ring, that's just not realistic. I trust Farhan will make the right call

We should trade anyone we don't have under control next year with the exception of madbum. 

I think bum will pitch for another 10 years. His release is easy on the shoulder and elbow and he has a big frame. His game is built on deception and not overpowering guys. He also has the mindset that it takes to be good that long. I am good to give him a 5 year deal. 

I am also fine with letting it ride this year, screw it. Zaidi appears to be a really good GM. I am confident he will build the farm system over time and that we will be a great team down the road. Would be nice to get some infusion of prospects for sure but I am having so much fun watching this team right now that I am fine with this continuing for another 3 months lol

41 minutes ago, N4L said:

We should trade anyone we don't have under control next year with the exception of madbum. 

I think bum will pitch for another 10 years. His release is easy on the shoulder and elbow and he has a big frame. His game is built on deception and not overpowering guys. He also has the mindset that it takes to be good that long. I am good to give him a 5 year deal. 

I am also fine with letting it ride this year, screw it. Zaidi appears to be a really good GM. I am confident he will build the farm system over time and that we will be a great team down the road. Would be nice to get some infusion of prospects for sure but I am having so much fun watching this team right now that I am fine with this continuing for another 3 months lol

I still would sell bullpen arms, but I've actually come to terms with being okay with anything except buying.  Don't buy!!!! It's really hard to hold it against the team if they don't want to raise the white flag

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I still would sell bullpen arms, but I've actually come to terms with being okay with anything except buying.  Don't buy!!!! It's really hard to hold it against the team if they don't want to raise the white flag

Especially when you are 18-4 in the last 22! August is my favorite month of the year but I am totally good with July lasting forever!! 

Trading a bullpen arm for a young infielder with pop who is under control for 2-3 more years is absolutely the only buying I would do

45 minutes ago, N4L said:

Especially when you are 18-4 in the last 22! August is my favorite month of the year but I am totally good with July lasting forever!! 

Trading a bullpen arm for a young infielder with pop who is under control for 2-3 more years is absolutely the only buying I would do

I was reading an article talking about the bullpen, and they mentioned that statistically, melancon is basically our such best reliever. There are teams, statistically speaking, where he'd be their second best reliever. 

That's amazing. This bullpen is so good

8 hours ago, N4L said:

I feel ya, just hard for me to think this can really continue too much longer. Only so many 1-run games you can win before things start going the other way. But at the same time with this bullpen I guess maybe we can keep winning these games lol

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I was reading an article talking about the bullpen, and they mentioned that statistically, melancon is basically our such best reliever. There are teams, statistically speaking, where he'd be their second best reliever. 

That's amazing. This bullpen is so good

Melancon and Watson are the two guys I'd want the Giants to trade. Theres no way they trade Will Smith at this point, it would take an Aroldis Chapman/Andrew Miller type trade which I doubt is obtainable. Watson is not as needed now that Pomeranz has shown he's effective out of the pen, Melancon might have returned to form enough that a desperate team in need of bullpen help might be willing to take on the last 2 years of his crumby deal (i.e. Yankees, Sox, Cardinals)

This pen is more valuable than the core4. Keep the rest of the bullpen together and rotate some more fresh arms in as rosters expand. 

Will Smith, Dyson, Moronta, Gott, Pomeranz, Coonrod, then mix in some Black, Adon, Vincent, Cyr, Selman periodically and the team's best asset is maintained. 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:21 AM, 48 1/2ers said:

Melancon and Watson are the two guys I'd want the Giants to trade. Theres no way they trade Will Smith at this point, it would take an Aroldis Chapman/Andrew Miller type trade which I doubt is obtainable. Watson is not as needed now that Pomeranz has shown he's effective out of the pen, Melancon might have returned to form enough that a desperate team in need of bullpen help might be willing to take on the last 2 years of his crumby deal (i.e. Yankees, Sox, Cardinals)

This pen is more valuable than the core4. Keep the rest of the bullpen together and rotate some more fresh arms in as rosters expand. 

Will Smith, Dyson, Moronta, Gott, Pomeranz, Coonrod, then mix in some Black, Adon, Vincent, Cyr, Selman periodically and the team's best asset is maintained. 

I'd honestly trade Smith in a heartbeat this year. I just think we can replace him internally, and I don't know that we are re-signing him. Trade him to the Brewers, get Dubon back, he may be able to improve second base immediately which helps us this season.

Melancon is probably not tradable with the contract. Watson is interesting. There's legit interest, and is be willing to move him given his advanced numbers are less than ideal, but teams are wary of the escalators in his contract, which is understandable. 

13 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd honestly trade Smith in a heartbeat this year. I just think we can replace him internally, and I don't know that we are re-signing him. Trade him to the Brewers, get Dubon back, he may be able to improve second base immediately which helps us this season.

Melancon is probably not tradable with the contract. Watson is interesting. There's legit interest, and is be willing to move him given his advanced numbers are less than ideal, but teams are wary of the escalators in his contract, which is understandable. 

The quality of the prospect in return is everything so it’s tough to project. I don’t know much about Dubon other than Minor league numbers and rankings which are pretty impressive. He’s ranked 3rd in their system and probably ready for the big leagues now so that’d be a trade worth considering, especially with the regression of Panik. But even then, Will Smith is still the guy I’d rather have for 2019

5 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

The quality of the prospect in return is everything so it’s tough to project. I don’t know much about Dubon other than Minor league numbers and rankings which are pretty impressive. He’s ranked 3rd in their system and probably ready for the big leagues now so that’d be a trade worth considering, especially with the regression of Panik. But even then, Will Smith is still the guy I’d rather have for 2019

The problem with Dubon is that I'm not sure what all he's going to bring to the table outside of (hopefully) batting average, which is a pretty fickle big league skill. He seems pretty close to major league ready, and at this point, Joe Panik is one of the worst, if not the worst, second baseman in baseball from a hitting standpoint (out of starters). It's obvious that we are looking to upgrade given we inquired by Sogard before he was traded to the Rays. His 16 home runs seems impressive until you remember that he's in the PCL and I'm pretty sure that you and I could hit 16 home runs there. 

I can understand the conversation from either side, tbh. I mean, I think that we can replace Smith internally and not lose much, and if that's the case, we should certainly deal him for something like this which can both be a move for the future and for the immediate improvement on the team, but that is all assumption (the first being that we won't lose much after losing Smith, the second being that Dubon can come up and hit right away, which obviously is not a guarantee at all).