Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

We seem to have games like this 3 times a week... we just look DOA at the plate.

4 hits through 6, not a single runner has reached second base yet. Two double plays. one walk. 

Its a joke. Why do they have so many of these games where the entire team cant hit?

I am officially back on the 'trade mad bum' bus. It needs to happen. Just resign him as a FA and get someone like clint fraizer in the process. The right handed power bat would be incredible. He would be our everyday LF for the next 10 years. make the move

1 hour ago, N4L said:

We seem to have games like this 3 times a week... we just look DOA at the plate.

4 hits through 6, not a single runner has reached second base yet. Two double plays. one walk. 

Its a joke. Why do they have so many of these games where the entire team cant hit?

I am officially back on the 'trade mad bum' bus. It needs to happen. Just resign him as a FA and get someone like clint fraizer in the process. The right handed power bat would be incredible. He would be our everyday LF for the next 10 years. make the move

I am 50/50 if we do. Lots of scuttle that we are still talking to multiple teams about him. Obviously, if we are talking on him, we are certainly still open to dealing the relievers (apparently the Nats inquired on Pomeranz...I'd make that deal just for some international bonus money, tbh). With all the talk that we are still having conversations about MadBum, I think there's a legit possibility he's gone by tomorrow. Of course, the main issue is that he has an NTC to most of the contenders...the only team that we can really swing fairly easily in trade would be Minnesota (and I proposed a package for them earlier in the rumors thread that I wouldn't mind getting back). 

The Yanks and others have to be freaking out now that Bauer and Stroman are off market. The starting pitching market is not good at all at this point. I think the Yanks are going to end up trading Clint Frazier or something, and if we can secure him in a deal for Bum, I'd be pretty ecstatic. The Astros have an amazing farm system and they are in on him too. We aren't going to get Tucker or Whitley, but they have plenty of appealing options after that as well. 

Basically the rumors I've heard about so far this year: 

Madbum - Yanks, Twins, Astros, Phils, Braves

Will Smith - Brewers, Dodgers. I know that several other teams would be interested of course, but I haven't heard them directly linked. 

Pomeranz - Nats

Watson - Cardinals (they are wary of the money owed to him, however, which is understandable) 

• Like 1

Rosenthal reporting that Astros interest in Madbum is legit, and we are looking at Joshua Rojas. I swear to god, if we trade Madbum and the centerpiece is Rojas, I will be very upset. He's basically a fringe prospect. Fangraphs doesn't even have him in the astros top 40 prospects. MLB has his like #27. He's 25 years old without any truly great hitter tools. I'd rather just re-sign him or get the QO out there and get the additional pick if he signs elsewhere. 

OMG, we got Dubon for Pomeranz. Holy hell. I thought Dubon would be the main piece we got for giving up Smith. I just wanted international bonus money for Pomeranz. That's an awesome deal. I understand Dubon isn't a great prospect or anything, but he's close, and he's very much something we can use. Close to the majors, right handed, positional versatility. He's immediately a right handed platoon for Crawford and Panik. 

That's an amazing trade for us. 

• Like 1

Certainly possible that we missed an opportunity to really re-stock the farm system by not trading bum and Smith, but I get it as well. And if the only move that we had made this deadline was Smith for Dubon + flier, I would have been happy. Instead we got him for Pom and Ray Black, which is even better. I wouldn't want to force the giants to make bad deals or anything like that, so if teams weren't offering what we wanted, I get it. 

But if I was going to be happy trading smith for Dubon, I certainly have to be just fine with this deadline result. Now we can throw out a QO to Bum, and really, even one to Smith. Maybe we overpay him for a year, but we could potentially do this again next year because I'm not certain Smith wouldn't just take that qualifying offer. 

Okay, that was a pretty amazing deadline for us in all honesty. Sure, we didn't move on from Smith or Madbum, but compensation could still come for either of those guys if we give them qualifying offers. 

Out the door: 

Mark Melancon (and his entire salary) - 34

Drew Pomeranz and his half a year remaining with no intention to re-sign him - 30 years old

Sam Dyson (solid reliever all year) - 31 years old

Ray Black - 29 years old

Cash (from the Scooter trade)

Jacob Lopez (26th round pick in 2018) 

Coming in: 

Tristan Beck (23) - struggling in A ball, so probably not a ton of upside there, but again, we dumped Melancon's entire deal

Dan Winkler (29) - meh. He's basically replacing Black

Mauricio Dubon (25) - Currently in triple A, good average type, positional versatility, right handed batter. Plays second / short / outfield. Speed is fine, not a ton of power. Should be ready to help as soon as this year. Top 5 brewers prospect. 

Prelander Berroa (19) - Upside flier from the twins. 

Jaylin Davis (25) - not a highly thought of prospect, but he's hitting really well in AAA since being called up. In 41 AAA games this year, he has 15 homers, 42 rbi, a .331 average. The average is fake given how often he strikes out, but still, that's not bad. 

Joe McCarthy (25) - This is just a reclamation play I'm pretty sure. He's a former fifth round pick who can't stay healhty. Think the Rays unloaded him because he was on the 40 man and just took what they can get. Good risk for the Giants. He's struggled the last two years because of the injuries, but he was okay before that. 

Kai-Wei Teng (20) - Like berroa, high upside flier. But at 20 years old, in full A ball, he's struck out 49 in 50 innings and has a 1.60 era. 40 hits and 14 walks in 50 innings. Way early on him, but man, that don't look bad. 

Scooter Gennett (rental) - just a body. 

But seriously, I think that's a great job. 

• Like 2

Reading the deadline trade grades on B/R. 

They gave us an A for the Pomeranz deal and the Melancon deal. They gave us a B- for the Dyson grade, which I kind of get because we didn't get any sort of top 30 prospect with that deal. It's clear that we wanted to go with quantity and took two fliers and a guy who isn't a top prospect, but has been playing well and may be worth a look at the major league level soon. I don't have a problem with that. They dinged us for the light return, particularly given that Dyson has another year of control, but given that he's already 31, and I think that we will replace him internally, that's going to be probably 7 million off the books next year and replace with a near league minimum salary. Given how much money we have tied up in older, aging vets, I'm fine with going that route in one trade. 

Zaidi had a good day, for sure. He made moves that everyone can feel good about. Cash in some bullpen depth for some young guys, get a right handed second baseman with experience, keep this thing together. The team obviously felt good about it and they just keep winning 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Zaidi had a good day, for sure. He made moves that everyone can feel good about. Cash in some bullpen depth for some young guys, get a right handed second baseman with experience, keep this thing together. The team obviously felt good about it and they just keep winning 

I thought he was in a really tough spot having to plan for the future but not quit on this team, and to that, I think he succeeded wonderfully well.

I would probably give Smith a QO next year. At 18 million, he may take it. Then this time next year, maybe we are in the same spot and can trade him then. I have no doubt bum gets the QO, and unlike Smith, he'll get signed early enough to where we get the pick (if Smith turns it down, he may get kimbrelled)