Rookie watch thread!

resilient part 2

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Well, I mean, it is Rookie of the Year.

In the end it doesn't really matter. Yeah it'd be nice for a Grizzly to win an award, but it's not like anything changes with a 1st or 2nd place finish for Ja. Still pumped to have him and just gotta hope he and the other cubs stay healthy. Not gonna be like Houston fans and their star who obsess over an award.

Grizzlies certainly have a bright future. I think making the playoffs would be a mistake for them long term anyways. They need to add another young piece, preferably a wing.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Grizzlies certainly have a bright future. I think making the playoffs would be a mistake for them long term anyways. They need to add another young piece, preferably a wing.

Not like they have a pick at this point to count on (barring a lottery miracle). I'd rather them make it and get a taste than barely miss out.

7 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I agree but the pool for MVP is much larger and quite frankly means way more. I just think giving a guy ROY because he played more games is silly.

Not when that amount is double.

Just now, Bullet Club said:

Not when that amount is double.

Still doesn't move the needle for me. If the Pelicans end up making the playoffs its pretty clear who the better/more important player was but at the end of the day its a super meaningless award in the grand scheme of things.

8 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Still doesn't move the needle for me. If the Pelicans end up making the playoffs its pretty clear who the better/more important player was but at the end of the day its a super meaningless award in the grand scheme of things.

That's such a one dimensional way of looking at things. The Pelicans have the easiest schedule in the NBA the second half of the season. They had one of the toughest to start the season. Why should Zion be rewarded for that? Is Zion taking the Pelicans (a team many picked to make the playoffs) to the 8th seed more impressive than what Ja has done with the preseason worst team in the West? Obviously not. Who provided more value? The dude who played 35ish games and led his team to their projected record or the guy who played 75ish and had his team overachieve massively? It's pretty clearly the latter.

Is Zion twice as good as Ja? No, he's not. As great as he has been offensively he's been horrendous defensively. He's not eligible for literally any season ending stats. Why should he be eligible for season accolades?

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

There is a certain point when it is too much like Embiid was clearly the best rookie (in his third pro season) but he only played 32 compared to like Brogdan’s 80-ish. What total is Zion on pace for? 40’s?

37 if he doesn't miss any more games.

• 4 months later...