Bowl Season- Prospect Discussion

1ForTheThumb

I don't know how he sees that.

Fromm relied on everyone else...literally EVERY other player was needed for Fromm to do anything.  He had only 25 dropbacks on which he scrambled outside the pocket and tried to create a play, which ranked 148th among college quarterbacks. Anything outside of the called structure he sht the bed.

Jalen Hurts had the slowest average time-to-throw this past year at 3.08 seconds, which was far slower than any other FBS quarterback. Throw in the fact that he has a slow release, and it makes projecting him to the NFL a bit concerning

Take a look at our offense overall. Can we afford to bring in a QB that either relies on everyone else to make a play, or has slow reads and a slow release or has accuracy issues? I think BB may be toying. Unless he means someone no one is up on, like a Jimmy G equivalent from lower.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 3

@Hunter2_1, you, like many people outside the NFL, are being unnecessarily harsh on Fromm in particular. Hurts has a lot of potential and incredible intangibles as a prospect so his value is largely based on that, as well as where the league/college football is at now with mobile QB's.

Love is fell in love with some of his throws at first, but have since seen a lot that suggests he is definitely not worth a first round investment.

As a backup option to Hurts and Fromm, I like Jacob Eason but again I am not in love. I have yet to research the other small school prospects at QB who the Patriots have met with.

50 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Im not a huge fan of any of the QB's in this draft. Usually I can pin point one guy I really like. Last year it was Dan Jones, 2018 was Baker, 2017 was Mahomies, 2016 was Conner Cook (facepalm on that one). 

I am bot even a big fan of Joe Burrow. Justin Herbert I like, but not as a top 10 player/prospect in this draft. Tua I like a bit as an RPO guy, but his injury history is a real concern, as is the fact that he has been surrounded by elite talent and coaching, and throws left-handed which is more just something to do with the offensive line as far as considering building around him.

For me, at the current value, Jake Fromm is a REALLY good pick. Fromm I believe can prove to be a first round prospect professionally when all is said and done, however his actual draft position is why I like his value since he will go Day 2 most likely.

Jalen Hurts is very intriguing and I think he fits what the NFL and college is geared towards so for that he should be a high pick as well. Hurts has improved steadily each year and his athleticism combined with intangibles is off the charts/elite. On his own I don't entirely love Hurts, but his development is enticing and ultimately may be ultra-rewarding.

I can dig the value argument. I think what it comes down to for me is that there isnt a guy who is gonna come in and be an improvement on anything Stidham would offer long or short term. 

I don't think Tua's injury makes him an "injury history" guy. It was a freak injury. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

I can dig the value argument. I think what it comes down to for me is that there isnt a guy who is gonna come in and be an improvement on anything Stidham would offer long or short term. 

I don't think Tua's injury makes him an "injury history" guy. It was a freak injury. 

Tua has had wrist and rib issues I believe. Arm and athleticism aren't great, but he is pretty good at everything. The hip injury if it werent so major wouldnt be as big a deal.

Fromm is better short and long term than Stidham. Most people outside the NFL are asleep on Fromm.

Tua injury history and slide from top of draft:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2886650-report-tua-tagovailoas-injuries-creating-persistent-talk-of-draft-day-slide

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lucasseehafer/2020/04/07/tagovailoas-injury-history-how-concerned-nfl-teams/

"Tagovailoa suffered five notable injuries during his three-year career – two as a starter – at Alabama:

Broken left index finger (March 2018; no games missed)

Sprained right knee (October 2018; no games missed)

Left high ankle sprain (December 2018; surgery; no games missed)

Right high ankle sprain (October 2019; surgery; 1 game missed)

Dislocated right hip with posterior acetabular wall fracture (November 2019; surgery; missed final 3.5 games)"

12 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Tua has had wrist and rib issues I believe.

Dont know why I typed wrist but the ribs I must have confused with Trevor Lawrence or Carson Wentz for some reason. :S

Edit: Ah, this is why I typed wrist.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1969273

Ribs though I thought he had dealt with something like bruising at least from taking some shots. Must have confused that with someone else.

Edited by DoleINGout

11 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Tua injury history and slide from top of draft:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2886650-report-tua-tagovailoas-injuries-creating-persistent-talk-of-draft-day-slide

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lucasseehafer/2020/04/07/tagovailoas-injury-history-how-concerned-nfl-teams/

"Tagovailoa suffered five notable injuries during his three-year career – two as a starter – at Alabama:

Broken left index finger (March 2018; no games missed)

Sprained right knee (October 2018; no games missed)

Left high ankle sprain (December 2018; surgery; no games missed)

Right high ankle sprain (October 2019; surgery; 1 game missed)

Dislocated right hip with posterior acetabular wall fracture (November 2019; surgery; missed final 3.5 games)"

The high ankle sprains might be concerning, but they are so common you'd have to put a red flag on any player using their legs (RPO QBs, RBs, WR, etc). I dont see the other stuff as something that would make him prone to injury. 

On 15/04/2020 at 1:53 PM, DoleINGout said:

@Hunter2_1, you, like many people outside the NFL, are being unnecessarily harsh on Fromm in particular. Hurts has a lot of potential and incredible intangibles as a prospect so his value is largely based on that, as well as where the league/college football is at now with mobile QB's.

Love is fell in love with some of his throws at first, but have since seen a lot that suggests he is definitely not worth a first round investment.

As a backup option to Hurts and Fromm, I like Jacob Eason but again I am not in love. I have yet to research the other small school prospects at QB who the Patriots have met with.

I mean, I just mentioned facts that everyone else has picked up on. I'm not saying they aren't worth having a look at and teams will definitely draft some of them in the 1st round. 

I think it's a VERY weak QB class. Outside of Burrow they all have major red flags.

Fromm and Eason in later rounds I'd be happy with.

One QB that might be worth a look at is Anthony Gordon from Washington. Lightning release, models his technique on Jimmy G apparently, runs a similar offense as he did. I could see us going there

Edited by Hunter2_1

16 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

The high ankle sprains might be concerning, but they are so common you'd have to put a red flag on any player using their legs (RPO QBs, RBs, WR, etc). I dont see the other stuff as something that would make him prone to injury. 

It was a similar story with Gronk, honestly. His bad back reared it’s head towards the end but there was his elbow (freak injury)/ensuing infection (unpredictable), TJ freaking Ward, Pollard rolling the ankle, etc. Most of those things were bad luck and could happen to anybody, but sometimes they just happen to someone more and then they get a little fragile as a result. 

That said - hope the injury concerns are real and he drops to a range NE can get to. Tua is the only QB I’d be comfortable drafting before round 4 (aside from Burrow, obviously).

• Like 1