Which Coach-Needy Team Benefits the Most From Greg Roman as a Head Coach?

AFlaccoSeagulls

Not a big fan of Roman offenses. Incredibly run heavy and thus far seem reliant on running back stables and mobile QBs. I give him credit for what he’s doing this year, much better than I’d have pegged him for, but I think he’s a niche OC. 

Also have to question when a guy magically becomes a great HC candidate only when everything around him is perfect in place. Worked for Shanahan, I suppose.

Edited by Yin-Yang

On 12/14/2019 at 6:47 AM, jg77 said:

Yeah but why flame out with a lesser QB like he did in previous stints as an OC when he has his ideal QB and can build sustained success.  I get what you're saying but I cannot see him leaving.  Maybe in a couple of years but not this upcoming offseason.

Almost everyone that is in the position to get a head coaching job takes it. It's a significant pay raise, which can mean a lot for you and your family. Also, these coaches are competitors. They get to run their own ship how they want to. There is no guarantee that a head coaching gig for an NFL team will be available again once that ship has sailed, so that is why people almost always hop on before it leaves the dock. 

EDIT: Sorry @Forge already broke it down. 

Edited by PapaShogun

9 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Almost everyone that is in the position to get a head coaching job takes it. It's a significant pay raise, which can mean a lot for you and your family. Also, these coaches are competitors. They get to run their own ship how they want to. There is no guarantee that a head coaching gig for an NFL team will be available again once that ship has sailed, so that is why people almost always hop on before it leaves the dock. 

EDIT: Sorry @Forge already broke it down. 

Yup. 

Are there many/any examples of guys who never even tried to be a HC? Like they’ve said in an interview that they didn’t want to try, gotten offers, got lots of buzz as candidates, things of that nature? Guys like Wade Phillips seem to be okay with just being a great coordinator, but Wade had his shot. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

I’m interested in where Roman goes as well. I think the answer to this question likely will be one where we have to look at the makeup of a franchise. The new owner of the Panthers seems to mean business. From what I understand he’s learned under the Steelers franchise and there are many similarities between the Ravens and Steelers franchises. Roman would be able to stay relatively nearby so it wouldn’t be a huge move for himself/family. What’s more the division has two aging QBs that could soon be done and another team with QB concerns. They have a good rushing attack as a toy for Roman to work with. Quality young QBs that can be developed in Allen and Grier. You’ve got Cam Newton as an option and you can draft a QB like Jalen Hurts as well.

Out of all the candidates, I’m sure Roman will have his pick of the litter and ultimately that seems like what I see as the best marriage between what that franchise has represented historically and what a Roman could bring to the table for them. That’s a very new and exciting challenge where he could really build a lot and establish the type of team identity that  he prefers. Lastly Greg Roman started his NFL career off as an OL assistant with the Carolina Panthers at their inception. So becoming a HC for that franchise makes the most sense and could almost have a “coming home” factor to it.

With some of these other franchises. I can’t see him jumping into a situation with a franchise where it’s the flavor of the month coaching staff. The Cowboys could also be an intriguing option for him as well as they have a lot of offensive talent at their disposal and while they are seemingly dysfunctional, they are the biggest football market in the NFL, they don’t have crazy coaching turnover either having stuck with JG for quite awhile.