Which Coach-Needy Team Benefits the Most From Greg Roman as a Head Coach?

AFlaccoSeagulls

By now it's not a secret that Greg Roman will be one of the top Head Coaching candidates next year, given his success with Lamar Jackson and the Ravens this year. However, his system is not for every team. He's not going to walk into Atlanta with Matt Ryan and run the same system he's been running since 2011. He needs a mobile QB who can run the Pistol offense.

So, that being said, which team stands to benefit the most from this if Roman were to be hired? Houston with Watson? Carolina with a draft QB? Or do people think he will modify his system?

Discuss.

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Cowboys will take him. We need someone who knows how to actually coach and can groom Moore more as a OC. 

I'd say this would be one of the best fit for both the team and the coach.  Dak is mobile enough to run the same system for sure.  I think it would work out pretty well.  I don't think he would keep Moore as an OC though.  Roman has been coaching for a long time so I'm sure he has people who would come in a run his system.

I think the other option would be Carolina if they keep Cam or draft someone with the skillset he likes there are a few later-round prospect QBs who are mobile.   

Watson and Texans would probably be the perfect fit but I don't really know what they think of O'brien and it seems like he will stay if they get in the playoffs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Roman just started as Baltimore's OC.  

Lamar Jackson is the sole reason why Baltimore's offense is so successful.  

Has nothing to do with Roman.  

you have some serious random hot takes with zero knowledge.  Roman was successful with Kapernick 49ers (went to a SB) and Bills Tyrod Taylor had his best seasons ever as a pro with him.

Also, Lamar wasn't that great last season as a rookie running a different system.  Yes he was a rookie I still think he would have done better with Roman as the full time OC.

Edited by sryan66611
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

you have some serious random hot takes with zero knowledge.  Roman was successful with Kapernick 49ers (went to a SB) and Bills Tyrod Taylor had his best seasons ever as a pro with him.

Also, Lamar wasn't that great last season as a rookie running a different system.  Yes he was a rookie I still think he would have done better with Roman as the full time OC.

Yeah and none of those guys are Lamar Jackson.  Lamar is Barry Sanders at QB.  Roman has his dream QB.  I just can't see him leaving the Ravens.

And you're not running the same system with Dak Prescott or any other current QB in the league, lol.

Edited by jg77

1 minute ago, jg77 said:

Yeah and none of those guys are Lamar Jackson.  Lamar is Barry Sanders at QB.  Roman has his dream QB.  I just can't see him leaving the Ravens.

R.I.P     the poster (or you logged in on a different acct.)  said, "Greg has nothing to do with the success of Lamar Jackson..."   So I pointed out Greg has had success before his time there and I pointed out Lamar wasn't as successful the season before he became OC???  What's so hard to understand?  I realize Jackson is probably 2-3x better than the guys I listed and the best QB Roman has worked with.    The problem is $$ talks and most everyone will take the HC job over being an OC.  No one comes into coaching wanting to be an Offensive Coordinator as their end goal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sryan66611 said:

R.I.P     the poster (or you logged in on a different acct.)  said, "Greg has nothing to do with the success of Lamar Jackson..."   So I pointed out Greg has had success before his time there and I pointed out Lamar wasn't as successful the season before he became OC???  What's so hard to understand?  I realize Jackson is probably 2-3x better than the guys I listed and the best QB Roman has worked with.    The problem is $$ talks and most everyone will take the HC job over being an OC.  No one comes into coaching wanting to be an Offensive Coordinator as their end goal.

Yeah but why flame out with a lesser QB like he did in previous stints as an OC when he has his ideal QB and can build sustained success.  I get what you're saying but I cannot see him leaving.  Maybe in a couple of years but not this upcoming offseason.

20 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Lamar hasn't changed at all from last season to this season. 

He took over at QB halfway through the season and clinched a division title as a rookie.  

Do you really think Baltimore would've went all the way to the Super Bowl last year with a change at OC?  

13 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Unless you're Josh McDaniels.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jg77 said:

Yeah but why flame out with a lesser QB like he did in previous stints as an OC when he has his ideal QB and can build sustained success.  I get what you're saying but I cannot see him leaving.  Maybe in a couple of years but not this upcoming offseason.

I get it..  But he has had success for a while now and has never gotten a chance to be HC.  I don't know what he's thinking but MOST coaches take the HC with the higher pay and more control.  I am like 99% sure that if they win the superbowl he will def be a HC somewhere in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

He took over at QB halfway through the season and clinched a division title as a rookie.  

Do you really think Baltimore would've went all the way to the Super Bowl last year with a change at OC?  

No, but I feel that if Greg Roman would have been there at the start of last season than Lamar Jackson would have had a lot more success last year.   What we saw in the playoffs is exactly why. 

The Chargers put 5-6 DB's on the field and stopped Lamar.  This season no one can do that because they are running a heavy run scheme with 2-3 TE's on the field.  If someone tries to put 6 dbs on the field they will laugh and run it down their throat all game.  So now teams are stuck with running a base defense more often and no teams are ready for it because the game had evolved to the more passing heavy schemes.  Teams were valuing the 3rd CB more than the 3rd LB.   Most teams run like 60% nickel because of the pass-heavy schemes.

8 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

I get it..  But he has had success for a while now and has never gotten a chance to be HC.  I don't know what he's thinking but MOST coaches take the HC with the higher pay and more control.  I am like 99% sure that if they win the superbowl he will def be a HC somewhere in the NFL.

No, but I feel that if Greg Roman would have been there at the start of last season than Lamar Jackson would have had a lot more success last year.   What we saw in the playoffs is exactly why. 

The Chargers put 5-6 DB's on the field and stopped Lamar.  This season no one can do that because they are running a heavy run scheme with 2-3 TE's on the field.  If someone tries to put 6 dbs on the field they will laugh and run it down their throat all game.  So now teams are stuck with running a base defense more often and no teams are ready for it because the game had evolved to the more passing heavy schemes.  Teams were valuing the 3rd CB more than the 3rd LB.   Most teams run like 60% nickel because of the pass-heavy schemes.

I get what you're saying, but that might not be that much of a factor.  

The Jets have the #2 rushing defense in the league, and Lamar still had 86 yards against them.  

13 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I get what you're saying, but that might not be that much of a factor.  

The Jets have the #2 rushing defense in the league, and Lamar still had 86 yards against them.  

It's a huge factor...   the key is this the Ravens put teams in a bind where the other team is forced to put the slow *** LBs out on the field.  Now Lamar can do whatever he wants because he's playing against some slow LB's that he can run circles around.  Hence the 86 yards rushing.  

The Jets have a great rush defense against RB's where they can still have their personnel they favor and run all types of exotic blitzes to clog holes and running lanes.

Here are two really great and informative articles you can read and understand how they are exploiting certain things.  I'm not going to break it down anymore because this isn't the place for it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27155975/picking-nfl-best-offenses-every-personnel-grouping

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27155975/picking-nfl-best-offenses-every-personnel-grouping

Edited by sryan66611

2 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Maybe as a runner sure, but it is literally night and day for him as a passer. 

• Like 2