Greatest Rushing Team In NFL History

diamondbull424

So the Baltimore Ravens finish this season obliterating the previous rushing record set by the 1978 NE Patriots of 3165 rushing yards by rushing for 3296 yards, averaging 206 yards/game.

- They become the first team to rush for 200 yards in a 16 game season.

- Also they become the first team to average both 200 yards passing and rushing in NFL history.

- The quarterback obliterated the single season QB rushing record, only the second QB in the SB era to finish above 1000 yards rushing.

- They have two runners over 1000 yards in a season, which is only the seventh time this has happened in NFL history.

- Will finish at least top 2 in rushing TDs (if not tie for number one).

- League high rushing average at 5.6 ypc, all three of their top backs finishing above 5.0 YPC.

- The offense also finishes within the top 15 all time in scoring.

Did you think this record could ever be broken? Do you think this record can ever be broken? Which team would you put in second place? How close is the #2 team? Discuss.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

I predict it will be broken next year by the Baltimore Ravens 😊

Kind of hope not. Have to imagine that we will add more receivers in the draft and without Greg Roman I could see the offense once again evolving into something similar to what we have this season but with more passing. Like a coagulation between Lamar’s collegiate offense and this years offense under Roman.

“Obliterated”... seems a bit much, they beat NE’s mark by less than 10 yards/g.

Also still doesn’t come close to Buffalo’s 220 rush YPG in 1973.

Impressive feat nonetheless considering the passing era we’re in. Only a matter of time before a team came in w/ smash mouth football and ran all over Ds designed to stop the pass. Nobody came close since 06 Falcons, so I don’t see it getting broken for a long time unless it’s Ravens again next year. Basically a prerequisite to have scrambling QB to approach this record, before Falcons it was Kordell’s Steelers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Kind of hope not. Have to imagine that we will add more receivers in the draft and without Greg Roman I could see the offense once again evolving into something similar to what we have this season but with more passing. Like a coagulation between Lamar’s collegiate offense and this years offense under Roman.

I agree, I was just joking around!!  Lol!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

“Obliterated”... seems a bit much, they beat NE’s mark by less than 10 yards/g.

Also still doesn’t come close to Buffalo’s 220 rush YPG in 1973.

Impressive feat nonetheless considering the passing era we’re in. Only a matter of time before a team came in w/ smash mouth football and ran all over Ds designed to stop the pass. Nobody came close since 06 Falcons, so I don’t see it getting broken for a long time unless it’s Ravens again next year. Basically a prerequisite to have scrambling QB to approach this record, before Falcons it was Kordell’s Steelers.

They finished the year with 131 more rushing yards than the previous record. How is that not a big gap when we’re talking about historical records? Just like Lamar destroyed Vick’s record because he didn’t just “smidge” past it.

When Manning beat Brady’s record he destroyed it because he knocked it out of the park. When Usain Bolt broke the 100 meter dash record, it was only by a split second but he obliterated it because when the degree of difficulty is so small, the grander the difference becomes when it’s by a quality amount. Same here with the Ravens.