Thought Exercise / Discussion on "Tanking"

TL-TwoWinsAway

Just now, detroitroar said:

How well you play is in relation to the player your going against.

Every single player on your team cant play well and you still lose. 

Basketball isn't a good comparison. 

Football is infinitely more dependent on your teammates. 

I see your point but don't agree. Playing "well" does not imply perfection. It's completely possible for everyone to play "well", still make a few mistakes and have those mistakes be the difference.

Just now, detroitroar said:

How was it meaningless?

Our players developing is meaningless?

A significant portion of our starting roster was on IR. I don't believe that one throwaway week 17 football game is a breeding ground for intense player development, and that it's anything close to the value of a 4th round pick.

4 hours ago, 66PinG said:

Being able to say that my team beat the Bears, Vikings and Lions goes a long way following a crap season.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm damned tired of settling for moral victories. 

For example. The Lions swept the Packers for the last two years, and missed the playoffs. Still disappointing seasons.

If the Lions losing a game that has no chance at making a difference in the short term, can help them in the long term, seems foolish to root for the short term at expense of the long term.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

If the Lions losing a game that has no chance at making a difference in the short term, can help them in the long term, seems foolish to root for the short term at expense of the long term.

Interesting, and I agree. That being said: do you feel that, once eliminated from playoff contention, a team should take the "long term" approach?

I don't understand why any fan would have wanted the lions to beat the packers in week 17. If a bad year or 2 could net a couple perennial All pros I would absolutely be in favor of "Tanking." Especially if that All pro is a QB. Ive seen average at best football too long in detroit, win big or lose big.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sandman9 said:

I don't understand why any fan would have wanted the lions to beat the packers in week 17. If a bad year or 2 could net a couple perennial All pros I would absolutely be in favor of "Tanking." Especially if that All pro is a QB. Ive seen average at best football too long in detroit, win big or lose big.

Absolutely true. It's done in other sports, and the NFL doesn't have a lottery. We're in good shape for this draft.

Alright. I believe that most of those that responded felt it better for the organization if the team lost against the Packers week 17.

Q2: does this mentality also hold true for our week 16 game against the Broncos? Is there anyone that feels it would have been better for the franchise, all things considered, had our 3-10-1 team managed to win that week?