The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

15 hours ago, mse326 said:

I get R1 for Izzy (just to remind people I thought no one should get points for that)

He at least looked like he was trying to find a way in. Romero didn't want to initiate a damn thing. 1 big strike doesn't balance that out.

Idk if I buy the whole trying to find a way in thing but of the 7 landed strikes(4-3 for Yoel) that round, the 2 most significant were from Yoel, but I'm not gonna fight you too hard but the best 2 were his. Neither should win that one

15 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Obviously a disappointing fight from a fan's perspective, but smart from Adesanya. We all know how Romero fights - he does nothing (sometimes literally nothing, not even moving) for minutes at a time, and then explodes. He relies on doing damage in those explosions to either hurt the other guy and finish him, or do enough damage to win the round. Otherwise he's conceding the round to his opponent.

Adesanya just had to keep landing a little and then avoid the blitzes and he wins, and that's what he did. Sure people want to see a war like Whittaker had, but that's not a smart way to fight Yoel and win. Adesanya pretty clearly won, even if it wasn't exciting.

People are going to rip on Adesanya for inactivity, but if you're going to do that you've got to put burden on Yoel to make something happen too. He was significantly less active in this fight. It seems to be in these counter striker vs counter striker matchups, fans have a drastically different perspective on what the champion has to do vs the challenger. Case in point, this fight, Woodley vs Wonderboy, Nunes vs Schevchenko.

I agree with alot of this but with Izzy running his mouth like he does and talking about legacy and being the best ever etc, you kind of expect a better performance of someone thats an ascending star or wannabe superstar

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mse326 said:

That, I can't defend. Not at all. My only guess is that they basically said we don't think Yoel did enough to win so we're going to give the 5th to Izzy. That doesn't explain the second judge though. I really don't understand that.

As confrontation/argumentative as I've been, I think we can all agree with this. I think a 48-47 decision was the way to go simply because you have to beat the champ and you cant tell me that was a championship performance. Thru 4 it was 2-2 and the 5th was too close to say Yoel won. I feel like if he got just a knockdown in the 5th and everything else the same, Yoel would be the champ 

11 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

As much as I've dogged Izzy for the performance I have to disagree. Yoel simply didn't throw enough to take the belt and nowadays that seems to matter or else Dom might be the LHW champ too. I had it 2-0 Yoel to start but the last 3 to Izzy. Maybe if Yoel dropped him in the 5th and didn't get the finish but cant win a belt fighting like this in 2020

the you have to do more to beat the champ than the champ does to beat you is dumb

izzy being the champ has nothing to do w/ yoel, he didn't beat him previously. so you are punishing him for no reason

I still don't see how people would give the 5th to izzy, unless people thought that head kick landed. the camera changed like in the middle of the kick but I'm pretty sure it was blocked

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

the you have to do more to beat the champ than the champ does to beat you is dumb

izzy being the champ has nothing to do w/ yoel, he didn't beat him previously. so you are punishing him for no reason

I still don't see how people would give the 5th to izzy, unless people thought that head kick landed. the camera changed like in the middle of the kick but I'm pretty sure it was blocked

I agree it is dumb but it is the way it works nowadays

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree with alot of this but with Izzy running his mouth like he does and talking about legacy and being the best ever etc, you kind of expect a better performance of someone thats an ascending star or wannabe superstar

Eh in time, all people will remember is the W. It's eerily similar to Anderson Silva - he had a few fights like this, where neither guy really did anything. At this point people just remember the fights where he made highlights, and don't put anything negative on the ones in between.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Eh in time, all people will remember is the W. It's eerily similar to Anderson Silva - he had a few fights like this, where neither guy really did anything. At this point people just remember the fights where he made highlights, and don't put anything negative on the ones in between.

Idk about fully forgotten but to a point. Much like Lewis v Ngannou, that fight has deterred us from wanting to see either of them although that wasn't a title fight

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Idk about fully forgotten but to a point. Much like Lewis v Ngannou, that fight has deterred us from wanting to see either of them although that wasn't a title fight

I don't think it's deterring anyone now. We're all hyped when either of those guys have a fight scheduled (maybe a little less for Lewis now since he hasn't had a KO in a little while).

I mean, one fight later Lewis got the KO of all time against Volkov and jumped into a title fight. Ngannou followed up by KOing Blaydes, Cain and JDS, and is once again the most feared power puncher in MMA.

MMA fans have short memories. If Izzy puts on a show against Costa, no one will be saying "man this guy's boring bc of the Romero fight"

17 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Looking ahead to next weeks fights, as far as Non-PPVs go, its not a bad one.

Charles Oliveira gets a major step up in competition vs Kevin Lee

Johnny Walker vs Krylov

Moicano 

Absolutely, I'm super excited about this card.

Main event should be fire - no way it isn't, Du Bronx doesn't have boring fights. He finishes, or he gets finished.

Maia-Burns is interesting. Burns shouldn't trust in his BJJ too much - he's a high-level black belt, but Maia is another beast. Burns sticks to striking he could take it, which would be a big jump for him.

Moicano's LW debut is really interesting.

Walker-Krylov, something's happening here for sure. Walker is well known for crazy ish, and Krylov just had his first decision of his career in his last fight, after 31 fights.

Trinaldo-Makdessi is mildly interesting.

Prelims has Formiga-Moreno (huge fight for FLW, dumb as hell that it's on the prelims), Zaleski vs Kunchenko (fricking banger!) and a few more notable fighters. Ribas vs Markos could be worth watching, Markos is forgettable, but Ribas is 8-1, 26 years old and just beat Mackenzie Dern.

Should be fun.

1 hour ago, Buckrock101 said:

I don't think it's deterring anyone now. We're all hyped when either of those guys have a fight scheduled (maybe a little less for Lewis now since he hasn't had a KO in a little while).

I mean, one fight later Lewis got the KO of all time against Volkov and jumped into a title fight. Ngannou followed up by KOing Blaydes, Cain and JDS, and is once again the most feared power puncher in MMA.

MMA fans have short memories. If Izzy puts on a show against Costa, no one will be saying "man this guy's boring bc of the Romero fight"

Agreed on all of it. With that said Bk even mentioned when asking about the fight if it was Lewis/Ngannou bad so while the fighters are still exciting, i dont think that fight will be forgotten for a good while

Absolutely, I'm super excited about this card.

Main event should be fire - no way it isn't, Du Bronx doesn't have boring fights. He finishes, or he gets finished.

Maia-Burns is interesting. Burns shouldn't trust in his BJJ too much - he's a high-level black belt, but Maia is another beast. Burns sticks to striking he could take it, which would be a big jump for him.

Moicano's LW debut is really interesting.

Walker-Krylov, something's happening here for sure. Walker is well known for crazy ish, and Krylov just had his first decision of his career in his last fight, after 31 fights.

Trinaldo-Makdessi is mildly interesting.

Prelims has Formiga-Moreno (huge fight for FLW, dumb as hell that it's on the prelims), Zaleski vs Kunchenko (fricking banger!) and a few more notable fighters. Ribas vs Markos could be worth watching, Markos is forgettable, but Ribas is 8-1, 26 years old and just beat Mackenzie Dern.

Should be fun.

Geez didnt even notice it was Renato at LW. Interesting 

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

Charles Oliveira has had 13 fights since his last decision. That was in 2014. He's had 25 fights in the UFC, just 2 decisions (to Jeremy Stephens and Frankie Edgar). For anyone who knows MMA, this guy is must-watch TV.

Absolutely since moving up to LW we haven’t had to worry about his weight either iirc. He is all or nothing which is must see MMA

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)