The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

8 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

To sensitive yanks like you, I guess.

The fight community in New Zealand is pretty close. I trained at the same gym as Adesanya (I trained there a year or so after he was there, not at the same time), so I know a fair few people who know/knew him personally. Can be 99% sure what you see from him is just him acting as he is.

so you dont know him and arent buddies, so you dont know. 10-4 good buddy.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:06 PM, NYRaider said:

I'm looking forward to the Paulo Costa vs Israel Adesanya fight because the banter and lead up should be great. But realistically I think Adesanya is going to piece him up and win by TKO. I honestly still don't really understand why Costa has so much hype leading up to the fight. 

Went exactly as I predicted it would. Costa might be something in the future but he simply wasn't ready for this level of a matchup against Israel. His style of putting non-stop pressure on guys throwing haymakers works against lower level competition like Johnny Hendricks and Uriah Hall but he was never going to do that against arguably the best and most technical striker in MMA history. 

His rise reminds me so much of Darren Till's before he fought Woodley. Both were young, undefeated flashy fighters with so-so resumes and questionable wins over recent #1 contenders before they got their title shots. And both got outclassed once they actually got to fight for the belt. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Izzy a better striker than Jones no doubt, but Jones would be able to dictate the fight exactly to where it needed to be.

Yeah I think Jones would definitely beat Izzy at 205 pounds. He's bigger, longer, and stronger than Izzy and would likely just make it into an ugly fight by using his grappling and wrestling to wear Izzy out before submitting him later in the fight like he did against Gus the second time. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The UFC is targeting Colby vs Mavidal in December. 

Love it. Like we say about Conor-Nate, Jorge-Nate will always be there and if Jorge truly wants another crack at the title then fighting Nate is a waste of his time(not a waste for his wallet, dont get me wrong but beating Colby makes him the #1 contender unless Leon finally gets a fight)

34 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Love it. Like we say about Conor-Nate, Jorge-Nate will always be there and if Jorge truly wants another crack at the title then fighting Nate is a waste of his time(not a waste for his wallet, dont get me wrong but beating Colby makes him the #1 contender unless Leon finally gets a fight)

I think that Colby vs Masvidal is a headliner and still does over 1M PPV buys so he'll get paid regardless. The story line for that fight is actually more intriguing too, former teammates, Colby coming off of a super impressive win, and the fact that Colby will go above and beyond with the banter in order to promote the fight. The press conferences leading up to that fight are going to be golden.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think that Colby vs Masvidal is a headliner and still does over 1M PPV buys so he'll get paid regardless. The story line for that fight is actually more intriguing too, former teammates, Colby coming off of a super impressive win, and the fact that Colby will go above and beyond with the banter in order to promote the fight. The press conferences leading up to that fight are going to be golden.

Definitely and as a fan I'm all for the Colby fight as opposed to the Diaz one

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Definitely and as a fan I'm all for the Colby fight as opposed to the Diaz one

Yeah, the Colby fight makes way more sense for the division going forward. Masvidal vs Diaz was fun but we've already seen it and it really wasn't all that competitive tbh. 

7 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Yeah. First minute of the first 2 rounds. Everyone forgets than he's a better Wrestler than Usman.

is he a better wrestler than Usman? Figured at the very least it was close. Masvidal is no slouch with TDD though. Not saying Colby will struggle to get TDs but he wont be able to outmuscle Jorge the way Usman did for 25 minutes

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, the Colby fight makes way more sense for the division going forward. Masvidal vs Diaz was fun but we've already seen it and it really wasn't all that competitive tbh. 

I know the narrative was Nate was coming on while Masvidal was fading but the first few rounds were definitely Jorge's.

I loathe it when top tier or top-2 tier fighters book fights that dont help them get closer to the title. 

16 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know the narrative was Nate was coming on while Masvidal was fading but the first few rounds were definitely Jorge's.

I loathe it when top tier or top-2 tier fighters book fights that dont help them get closer to the title. 

Meh. Diaz took an insane amount of damage in that fight and likely would've gotten TKO'd in the 4th round if they let the fight continue. He's not strong enough to compete with the top guys at 170. 

That was a fun fight for the fans and definitely a safe way for the UFC to grow Masvidal's brand. I'm excited for the Colby fight but I think his pressure, wrestling, and cardio will be too much for Masvidal and he'll either win a decision or finish him in the later rounds.