The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

I think they leveraged Edwards ranking into him taking that fight. For once, though, I agree with the UFC here.

Yeah they definitely forced his hand. If Chimaev is able to beat him in convincing fashion his stock/hype is going to go through the roof. 

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Maybe Colby and Burns but Masvidal has hardly been "active" 1 fight in almost a year

He had 3 wins in 2019 before he got the title shot. They were all finishes, two of them were main events (Till/Diaz), and the other one was the KO of the year against a hyped fighter in Askren. 

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The only rationale I could see is that his coaches want to see him fight a high level guy at 205 before he takes the Jones fight. But the biggest issue I have with that is if he does win and then fights Jones next, now he'd be the champ at 185 and 205, while planning to fight someone who doesn't even want the belt in Jones. So if Jones wins he probably just vacates immediately again but either way it's going to be another Conor situation where two divisions are held up because the champion wants other fights. 

Yea thats just another reason why the Jan fight makes no sense. The Jones fight doesnt hold up anything except just time to heal up

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea thats just another reason why the Jan fight makes no sense. The Jones fight doesnt hold up anything except just time to heal up

The only way it makes sense if Whittaker wins and Izzy doesn't see any other challenges at 185 so he vacates the title to fight at 205 full time. Let Jones go up to HW and fight Stipe for the belt. If Jones wins he could potentially fight him at HW and become the first 3 division weight champ in UFC history. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The only way it makes sense if Whittaker wins and Izzy doesn't see any other challenges at 185 so he vacates the title to fight at 205 full time. Let Jones go up to HW and fight Stipe for the belt. If Jones wins he could potentially fight him at HW and become the first 3 division weight champ in UFC history. 

Yea Bobby Knuckles winning would make things interesting because Izzy makes it sound like he wants no part of a rematch

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea Bobby Knuckles winning would make things interesting because Izzy makes it sound like he wants no part of a rematch

Yeah, I doubt they ever fight again. I think he has 1-2 fights at MW left, if Cannonier wins he definitely gets the next title shot. And then I could see him fighting the winner of the Hermansson/Till fight. After that though he will pretty much have cleared out the entire division. He's relatively new to the UFC but he's already 31 and has over 100 pro bouts under his belt across MMA, kickboxing, and boxing. 

The LHW division is pretty meh to me personally, I don't see a ton of huge fights for him there. Fighting Jones soon makes the most sense for him but I don't think he wants too. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, I doubt they ever fight again. I think he has 1-2 fights at MW left, if Cannonier wins he definitely gets the next title shot. And then I could see him fighting the winner of the Hermansson/Till fight. After that though he will pretty much have cleared out the entire division. He's relatively new to the UFC but he's already 31 and has over 100 pro bouts under his belt across MMA, kickboxing, and boxing. 

The LHW division is pretty meh to me personally, I don't see a ton of huge fights for him there. Fighting Jones soon makes the most sense for him but I don't think he wants too. 

Because he knows he won't win until Jones is over the hill.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's hilarious too because Dana White was crying about Conor leaking their DM's and said that it broke man code. 

Which is even more hilarious because Dana lies so much it's beyond pathological. We all know there are certain fighters who don't turn down anything and others that def do.

I don't think Conor and Tony turn down fights, especially out of fear or something.

Leon blatantly turned down fights because he wanted a title shot before he lost to someone good.