The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

16 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Since we love to talk about Nate Diaz, how he has cardio for days and hear jokes about him going 6 rounds, 10 rounds etc. Doesnt that make you wonder why he doesnt put it on earlier in the fight? The cardio is there but it just seems like he almost has too much left in the tank. Not saying he would've beat Leon but its one that always was in my mind when I was in Cross Country, you never want to finish the race with gas in the tank and I feel like Diaz just never unloads until its too late

He obviously has good cardio, but I do find it interesting that Diaz has really only been past the third round three times in his career (including Saturday) and is 0-3 in those fights. 

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So Usman/Covington next. 

Set up:

Leon v Burns/Wonderboy winner for next shot at the belt

Usman/Covington Loser vs Luque/Chiesa winner

Luque/Chiesa loser vs Burns/Wonderboy loser

I know I just spent the last few posts arguing against Leon needing to take another fight, but personal perspective aside, I think I see this playing out exactly like this.

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Nate Diaz vs Jorge Masvidal 

Magny vs Belal

I see Masvidal fighting Conor for the BMF if he loses to Poirier and Nate if Conor wins.

Magny vs Belal makes some sense, but I feel like Khamzat sneaks in there against Magny somehow.

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea Chimaev needs something interesting too

It wouldnt surprise me if Conor wins and still fights Nate next

The thing about Nate vs Conor III is that it will always be there. If they both lose 2 more fights, it still headlines a card. 

If Conor wins, challenging Chucky Olives for the belt (which is a good stylistic matchup for him imo) to try to coerce Khabib out of retirement, then fighting Masvidal/Diaz in fun fights makes the most sense financially, right?

2 minutes ago, Soggust said:

The thing about Nate vs Conor III is that it will always be there. If they both lose 2 more fights, it still headlines a card. 

If Conor wins, challenging Chucky Olives for the belt (which is a good stylistic matchup for him imo) to try to coerce Khabib out of retirement, then fighting Masvidal/Diaz in fun fights makes the most sense financially, right?

Yea I suppose it will always be there but I wouldnt wait too long either. Nate's shine almost took a hit if not for the last minute and if Conor goes out the way he did in the last fight that has to do something for that fight as well. 

Whats hilarious is I totally disrespected Olives because I was thinking if Conor beats Dustin, would he really defend the LW strap against Diaz at 155?...but then again Conor wont win the LW title beating Dustin lol

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea I suppose it will always be there but I wouldnt wait too long either. Nate's shine almost took a hit if not for the last minute and if Conor goes out the way he did in the last fight that has to do something for that fight as well. 

Whats hilarious is I totally disrespected Olives because I was thinking if Conor beats Dustin, would he really defend the LW strap against Diaz at 155?...but then again Conor wont win the LW title beating Dustin lol

What odds do you give Conor against Dustin, just curious?

I think I'm closer than most. Dustin one of my fav fighters so maybe I'm just cautious, but I'm thinking 55/45 Dustin, personally.

17 minutes ago, Soggust said:

What odds do you give Conor against Dustin, just curious?

I think I'm closer than most. Dustin one of my fav fighters so maybe I'm just cautious, but I'm thinking 55/45 Dustin, personally.

Its probably that for me as well. The last fight just further showed the level of confidence Dustin has. Maybe Conor was training too much boxing which made him susceptible to that kick but the last fight wasnt close. If "Motivated Conor" is a thing or if motivation was a factor we'll find out but for now I'll take the recency bias and go Dustin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BullsandBroncos said:

You're delusional if you say otherwise. Saying Michael Chiesa he will fight next week but Colby hasn't earned it lmao 

I'm delusional for saying Usman is ducking Colby? 

Now the 2nd part is absurd, you're not wrong there. I love Chiesa but he hasn't earned that yet. Still needs 2 wins

9 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I'm delusional for saying Usman is ducking Colby? 

Now the 2nd part is absurd, you're not wrong there. I love Chiesa but he hasn't earned that yet. Still needs 2 wins

If you don't think Usman is ducking Colby, than yes, anyone on this planet that doesn't think that is delusional.

2 hours ago, Soggust said:

Uhhh what.

If Chucky gets a hold of one of Conor's limbs, arms or legs, or head, in any way shape or form, Conor is toast.

I'll give him the classic, "If he clips him on the way in" chance against Chucky Olives but that's it.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Uhhh what.

If Chucky gets a hold of one of Conor's limbs, arms or legs, or head, in any way shape or form, Conor is toast.

I'll give him the classic, "If he clips him on the way in" chance against Chucky Olives but that's it.

It's a good stylistic matchup (I should clarify - I meant above him at 155) because if Conor loses (which is very probable), he will lose on the feet. Unless Oliveira has been hiding a Chad Mendes blast double all these years or contacts Blizzard for a race change to Dagestani, I'm not seeing how this fight goes to the floor. Oliveira has always been a flowy grappler who loves to bang, and subs people off scrambles, sweeps and pressure / brawling. He's not some takedown artist and I can't think off the top of my head of anyone other than Khabib and 1 round against Mendes where Conor was held down for a notable period of time (maybe I'm forgetting someone obvious?). Even the sub vs Nate came off the back of essentially being TKO'd, then finished with a RNC. And finally, Conor will be aware of all of this and will be a priority in his gameplan to avoid the ground, as you would imagine, so I think the natural flowy takedowns will be limited in general.

I'm not saying Conor would win AT ALL, I just don't see a better stylistic matchup above him at 155. I think Olives has a similar-ish build (Conor a lil more top heavy) and are both rangy, slick strikers. Although I think McGregor is MARGINALLY (like super splitting hairs) superior striking, I could ABSOLUTELY see Charles TKO'ing Conor on the feet a la Poirier or KD then sub a la Nate 1. 

4 hours ago, Soggust said:

But they would, if there was a vast difference in resumes between the two - as there is in this case. 

You can argue that it's just my opinion, and that's fair (as is yours). But I would certainly expect the majority of educated fans to agree that a 10 fight undefeated streak is more valuable than being:

• 2-2 in last four and 3-3 in last 6 (including 2 failed title shots including one of the most notoriously boring fights in UFC Title Fight history)
  • KO'd by a guy who is no longer in the promotion 3 fights ago

Your response to this is literally:

• Wonderboy has a big name. 
  • Wonderboy is coming off two DECISIONS over "prospects".
  • Meh, they are close in the rankings.

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree here, because that's so far outside the realm of reasonableness for me, it's just not worth debating.

To me, this is basically just saying "Well, there's a case to jump Edwards because I like Wonderboy more and he's close in rankings", which is a fair perspective in reality because fans sell tickets, but I don't think it's fair in an idealistic vacuum comparing resumes - that's all I'm saying.

And I really like Wonderboy, so I don't want to disparage him anymore here, but I just don't see how anyone could reasonably suggest that he is ready to jump Edwards without another win or two.

Are you ignoring what I said or intentionally misrepresenting it? I figured t care about losses wonderboy had 3 years ago, period. Wonderboy has been facing elite competition, loses will happen. Those two prospects that wonderboy beat would easily be Edwards best two wins on his resume. Luque is significantly better now than he was when he fought Leon.

Leons level of competition hasn’t been great, and he’s not putting on inspiring performances against them. He publicly ducked wonderboy, which at the very least gives the appearance of avoiding dangerous fights. Trying to cherry pick fights doesn’t get you a title shot. 

lastly, I’m sure you agree that burns deserves a shot before Leon if he beats wonderboy?