The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

On 8/8/2023 at 5:47 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Izzy vs Strickland is... underwhelming? I think 

I wanted Khamzat vs Izzy because I think it's the most interesting matchup, but I do like the Costa fight too so it's all good. 

I think Izzy/Strickland is obviously a squash match, but the build up (4 weeks sigh) should be really good with two of the most controversial trash talkers in the game.

I will say - If they had a big time fight (costa/khamzat e.g.) as the co-main, I would really like this PPV a lot more. Tuivasa/Volkov is a super weak co-main and makes the entire card trash imo. 

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Soggust said:

I wanted Khamzat vs Izzy because I think it's the most interesting matchup, but I do like the Costa fight too so it's all good. 

I think Izzy/Strickland is obviously a squash match, but the build up (4 weeks sigh) should be really good with two of the most controversial trash talkers in the game.

I will say - If they had a big time fight (costa/khamzat e.g.) as the co-main, I would really like this PPV a lot more. Tuivasa/Volkov is a super weak co-main and makes the entire card trash imo. 

They weren't going to gift Chimaev a title shot after how Khamzat turned a whole card on its head missing weight by so much. 

Also, besides the drunken chatter at DDP, is Izzy that controversial?

Bam Bam v Volkov is still a fun fight, why so angry? lol

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

They weren't going to gift Chimaev a title shot after how Khamzat turned a whole card on its head missing weight by so much. 

Also, besides the drunken chatter at DDP, is Izzy that controversial?

Bam Bam v Volkov is still a fun fight, why so angry? lol

I mean they did that for Romero vs Rockhold after missing against Whittaker, right (going by memory here so maybe it's diff)? And Khamzat a much bigger draw than Romero.

I think Izzy is super divisive to most fans (I happen to really like Izzy), but even if you disagree - I think the "N" word being repeated vs DDP isn't worth ignoring in the discussion lol. My point not even being that Izzy is the worst, just that the styles will pair nicely in the press conference with Strickland.

It's a fun fight (mostly bc Tuivasa always fun), but for a PPV co-main, there should be some title implications - especially if the main even is considered a bit of a squash match.

This is just a weak card overall imo. Can't even really say I'm angry about it - it's par for course in the UFC today. We literally just had a PPV headlined by a #1 contender fight for a fake belt lol.

Edited by Soggust

23 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I mean they did that for Romero vs Rockhold after missing against Whittaker, right (going by memory here so maybe it's diff)? And Khamzat a much bigger draw than Romero.

I think Izzy is super divisive to most fans (I happen to really like Izzy), but even if you disagree - I think the "N" word being repeated vs DDP isn't worth ignoring in the discussion lol. My point not even being that Izzy is the worst, just that the styles will pair nicely in the press conference with Strickland.

It's a fun fight (mostly bc Tuivasa always fun), but for a PPV co-main, there should be some title implications - especially if the main even is considered a bit of a squash match.

This is just a weak card overall imo. Can't even really say I'm angry about it - it's par for course in the UFC today. We literally just had a PPV headlined by a #1 contender fight for a fake belt lol.

So the Whittaker comp is different because Luke was supposed to fight Whittaker, Knuckles pulled out so Yoel got back to back interim title fights. Now if Izzy or Strickland pull out and they want to give Chimaev the fight then fine because you want that title to be on the line at that time, but he shouldnt be option A

Oh I cant wait for the press conference, sadly I think that will be much more entertaining than the fight

It seems kind of weak but 

1. I dont think they are done putting it together

2. KKF and Kate is a great fight too

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So the Whittaker comp is different because Luke was supposed to fight Whittaker, Knuckles pulled out so Yoel got back to back interim title fights. Now if Izzy or Strickland pull out and they want to give Chimaev the fight then fine because you want that title to be on the line at that time, but he shouldnt be option A

Oh I cant wait for the press conference, sadly I think that will be much more entertaining than the fight

It seems kind of weak but 

1. I dont think they are done putting it together

2. KKF and Kate is a great fight too

Boy, I really hope you are right, but how many great fights can they realistically add with 4 weeks to go? Especially being in Australia where no one wants to fight because its 4 planets away and they take the majority of your winnings in taxes.

I do absolutely agree that KKF + Kape is a 9 / 10 for a #3 fight on the card. I just don't think it's enough to carry an entire ppv. Even the opener + prelims are nothing to write home about. Like, the prelims are APEX level tbh lol, with the exception of Tafa/Lane maybe? 

It's just how it works sometimes. We are coming off a few good cards and it looks like Abu Dhabi is going to be pretty stacked, so it ends up working like this I suppose. 

PFL's production is just awful. How is this the 2nd most profitable American promotion? Bellator is on the verge of selling to either ONE or PFL ffs.

ONE is clearly the 2nd best promotion in the world. Don't blame them whatsoever about not caring about an American market since they don't need it to be successful. 

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

PFL's production is just awful. How is this the 2nd most profitable American promotion? Bellator is on the verge of selling to either ONE or PFL ffs.

ONE is clearly the 2nd best promotion in the world. Don't blame them whatsoever about not caring about an American market since they don't need it to be successful. 

Isnt ONE hemorrhaging $ though?