Your 2020 Overrated, Underrated, JAG, and Pure Cheeks Prospects

Mind Character

Gentleman (and ladies??) ... It's that time of the year again.

The draftnik community is in full frenzy and we're all making predictions about other human beings abilities on something called the world wide web.

Let's start to compile lists though I'm sure they'll change over time.

List some of the players you think are Underrated, Overrated, Destined to be JAGs, or just pure cheeks.

----------------

Most Underrated

Robert Hunt, OT/OG Louisiana Laffayette

Troy Dye, LB/Edge Oregon

Joe Reed, WR/KR/PR Virginia

Daishawn Dixon, OG San DIego State

Jack Driscoll, RT Auburn

Denzel Mims, WR Baylor 

Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC

Tyrie Cleveland, WR Florida

Jordan Elliot, DT Missouri

Antoine Winfield Jr., SS Minnesota

Terrance Steele, RT Texas Tech

Shane Lemieux, OG Oregon

Fools-Gold/Highly Overrated/High Cheeks Factor

Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma

Curtis Weaver,OLB/DE Boise State

Jonah Jackson, OG Ohio State

Solomon Kindley, OG Georgia

K'Laivon Chaisson, OLB/DE LSU (as a 43-DE)

Bradlee Anae, OLB/DE Utah (as a 43-DE)

Grant Delpit, S LSU

Ben Bredeson, OG Michigian

Lucas Niang, OT TCU

Trey Adams, OT Washington

Brandon Aiyuk, WR Arizona State

Tyler Johnson, WR Minnesota

Ashtyn Davis, FS California

Josh Jones, RT Houston (In a ZBS System)

Jordan Brooks, LB TTU

Yetur Gross-Matos, DE Penn State

Gabriel Davis, WR UCF

JAG Extraordinaires:

Khalid Kareem, DE Notre Dame

Trevon Hill, DE Miami

Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming

Josh Uche, OLB/DE Michigan (as a 43-DE)

Darrell Taylor, DE Tennessee

Jabari Zuniga, DE Florida

Evan Weaver, LB California

Jason Stowbridge, DE North Carolina

DJ Wonnum, DE South Carolina

Just Pure Cheeks

Jared Pinkney, TE Vanderbilt

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

@Mind Character, I appreciate the high cheeks factor.

I would say Lynn Bowden and KJ Hamler are both underrated if they are available after the third. I'm a fan of both and haven't really heard either going above third round, with Bowden often being available in mocks as late as the fifth or sixth.

Epenesa is being underrated a bit IMO, as I see his floor being very high and him being at least good at everything that could be asked of him, minus speed rusher bend.

Patrick Queen in the first round seems overrated, and Jacob Phillips in the third/fourth seems underrated. 

Neville Gallimore looks like a late first guy to me but is often mocked as late second, and he may slip further.

AJ Dillon is way underrated and I want him in the fourth if he really falls that far. Some have him in the fifth or sixth 😮.

Kinlaw top-10 seems rich for me, but I like the player.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2

Agree with it for the most part. But I love Ben Bredeson. He’s gonna be a starter at G for 10+ years. 

And I am not bullish on Terrence Steele. He got embarrassed at the Senior Bowl. 

IIRC, Sam Cosmi returned to Texas  

Overrated:

Kristian Fulton CB

Josh Jones OT

Xavier Mckinney FS

Trevon Hill DE

Jeff Thomas WR

Jonathan Garvin DE

Underrated:

Essang Bassey CB

CJ Henderson CB

Bryce Hall CB

Brycen Hopkins TE

Anthony McFarland RB

Shaq Quarterman MLB

Joe Bachie MLB

Michael Pinckney OLB

Michael Pittman WR

Hakeem Adeniji OG (as an OG)

Logan Stenberg OG

Alohi Gilman SS

Trajan Bandy CB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

@Mind Character, I appreciate the high cheeks factor.

I would say Lynn Bowden and KJ Hamler are both underrated if they are available after the third. I'm a fan of both and haven't really heard either going above third round, with Bowden often being available in mocks as late as the fifth or sixth.

Epenesa is being underrated a bit IMO, as I see his floor being very high and him being at least good at everything that could be asked of him, minus speed rusher bend.

Patrick Queen in the first round seems overrated, and Jacob Phillips in the third/fourth seems underrated. 

Neville Gallimore looks like a late first guy to me but is often mocked as late second, and he may slip further.

AJ Dillon is way underrated and I want him in the fourth if he really falls that far. Some have him in the fifth or sixth 😮.

Kinlaw top-10 seems rich for me, but I like the player.

I agree on Lynn Bowden Jr. ... he's one of "my guys" but I forgot to include him and others.

You're right on Hamler as well.

Queen is absolutely overrated.

AJ Dillon was a nice one cut back last year when I thought he was coming out but I honestly haven't watched anything of his this year

Gallimore's another good one that's being underrated some but he's boom or bust as well.

• Like 1

@BleedTheClock

Who do you have more belief in as a player that will succeed on the next level... Joe Bachie, LB MSU or Kenny Willekes, DE MSU?

Never saw Anthony McFarland will have to check it out.

Essang Bassey was unanimously panned as being one of the biggest losers from the Senior Bowl not just on weigh-ins but play.

Even still you have to believe in what you saw displayed on the film.

In the same way, I believe in what I saw Terrence Steele do throughout the course of the season getting guys blocked even when it looked ugly.

Terrence Steele along with Calvin Throckmorton and Alex Taylor all struggled in the actual game; however, based on most reports Steele had a consistently good week.

Will be interesting to see where he goes.

36 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

@BleedTheClock

Who do you have more belief in as a player that will succeed on the next level... Joe Bachie, LB MSU or Kenny Willekes, DE MSU?

Never saw Anthony McFarland will have to check it out.

Essang Bassey was unanimously panned as being one of the biggest losers from the Senior Bowl not just on weigh-ins but play.

Even still you have to believe in what you saw displayed on the film.

In the same way, I believe in what I saw Terrence Steele do throughout the course of the season getting guys blocked even when it looked ugly.

Terrence Steele along with Calvin Throckmorton and Alex Taylor all struggled in the actual game; however, based on most reports Steele had a consistently good week.

Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Bassey is so damn good in man. I have a hard time believing he’ll be a crappy pro but who knows?   And give me Bachie. 

McFarland is awesome. You’ll love him. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

What do you guys think of Mekhi Becton?

Everyone keeps talking about how he is this freak athlete for his size, but I don't see that great of an athlete on tape, just a behemoth who looks like he'll be pretty good. At this point, I'd say he's overrated, not a high first round pick for ZBS for me even if he played some. I'd take Andrew Thomas over him.

10 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Everyone keeps talking about how he is this freak athlete for his size, but I don't see that great of an athlete on tape, just a behemoth who looks like he'll be pretty good. At this point, I'd say he's overrated, not a high first round pick for ZBS for me even if he played some. I'd take Andrew Thomas over him.

Id take all 3 tackles over him tbh. 

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Id take all 3 tackles over him tbh. 

@Mind Character got in my head about Wirfs being the equal to Quentin Nelson and then pulled that rug out too. Somehow he gas-lit me without actually having gas-lit me 🤷‍♂️. Somehow I feel like this is the highest compliment I could give him 🤔.

But yeah, truth be told I don't pretend to be especially adept at deciphering who the best offensive linemen in a draft are other than the ol' eyeball test.

That said, I thought Thomas needs to improve his leverage but has elite vision in picking up blocks, as well as solid strength for the pros.  In my walkthemocks I fap to grabbing Wills at 10 and then a falling Andrew Thomas around pick 22-25, bookending the next ten years. I'm going with Wills for now but wouldn't be surprised if Thomas was the best tackle in the draft, though he might play RT best.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2020 at 6:11 PM, Mind Character said:

Fools-Gold/Highly Overrated/High Cheeks Factor

Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma
Curtis Weaver,OLB/DE Boise State
Jonah Jackson, OG Ohio State
Solomon Kindley, OG Georgia
K'Laivon Chaisson, OLB/DE LSU (as a 43-DE)
Bradlee Anae, OLB/DE Utah (as a 43-DE)
Grant Delpit, S LSU
Ben Bredeson, OG Michigan
Lucas Niang, OT TCU
Trey Adams, OT Washington
Brandon Aiyuk, WR Arizona State
Tyler Johnson, WR Minnesota
Ashtyn Davis, FS California
Josh Jones, RT Houston (In a ZBS System)
Jordan Brooks, LB TTU
Yetur Gross-Matos, DE Penn State

Gabriel Davis, WR UCF

JAG Extraordinaires:

Khalid Kareem, DE Notre Dame
Trevon Hill, DE Miami
Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming
Josh Uche, OLB/DE Michigan (as a 43-DE)
Darrell Taylor, DE Tennessee
Jabari Zuniga, DE Florida
Evan Weaver, LB California
Jason Stowbridge, DE North Carolina
DJ Wonnum, DE South Carolina

Just Pure Cheeks

Jared Pinkney, TE Vanderbilt

What a difference 2 more months of review can make.

Yetur Gross-Matos, DE Penn State -- His low lows and disengagement from the game at times was too hard to get past before, but after more review his loose and elusive maneuvers reveal a player that plays at his own-speed due to technique immaturity and unawareness and who's high highs should be seen as a foundation for exponential growth given his love for the game and mental toughnes.

Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma -- His fish out of water feel for pass coverage and need to see it before triggering on a play is hard to watch, but the intangibles and elite ability to blow up a play is tantalizing and makes me want to bet on the young man and value the good. Even still there's a chance that he's fool's gold play impact-wise.

Jabari Zuniga, DE Florida -- He's far from a JAG extraordinaire as his tape once digested within the context of his full collegiate play when he wasn't injured reveals a high level intuitive pass rusher with instincts and functional strength to evolve into something more at the next level. I'm betting that he outperforms his draft position by year 2.

Logan Wilson, LB Wyoming -- Still a lot of fool's gold to his game, and he's definitely overrated but there's an urgency and pass coverage instinctual feel to his game that deserves to be valued.