Chargers likely to franchise Henry

Mojibwe

It's the smart approach to take.  I'd contend that until a firm situation with Bosa moving forward is known (either he's willing to extend and you extend him or he makes it clear he's not willing to extend, even at a - earned - market-setting deal), you don't want to tie up the money needed to do so flexibly.  Even for someone like Henry who is very good (when healthy) but not elite  Franchise him, because you have the flexibility to do so and address it when other ducks are in a row or more factors are known.

Hard decisions are going to have to be made in the coming years with guys far more consequential to the team's success than any TE that isn't a literal Gronk/Gates clone: Bosa, Derwin (before too long), Ingram (just as an example, wouldn't it truly suck if Ingram were actually willing to take a team-friendly 3rd deal but the space/flexibility wasn't there because it was tied up in a TE; who would you prefer the TE or the pass-rusher?  Which is more difficult to replace?).

• Like 1

I believe Ingram would have to be thinking about free agency after next year. He’ll be 32 and really his last opportunity for a larger contract. I don’t think the production is there to warrant it, especially if it takes potential $’s away from a Bosa mega deal. 

if there was a QB that was set in place, I would almost argue that Henry would be as important to maintain continuity as opposed to the second best pass rusher that regressed last year. However, with a new direction for the offense at QB, Ingrams value to the Chargers can’t be higher as opposed to a TE that has more questions than answers when it comes to durability. 

that being said, I would love to have them both with the franchise, but obviously not at the expense of a James or Bosa deal. Ingram can’t be 12% of cap and Henry can’t set the rest of the roster at jeopardy with an insane deal. 

I would prefer franchise then walk for Henry and maybe a 4 year deal for Ingram next offseason that allows him to be cuttable towards the end.

For all the talk and narrative that the media (and thus casual fans) are running with, that the Chargers "need a name at QB to drive stadium attendance" (which, in itself is shortsighted because it assumes that the Spanii would know how to effectively market the team with such a name - the only time you can really argue they did it effectively was when they had two future HOF'ers on the roster in LT and Gates... and arguably Merriman too had he been able to stay healthy).  Despite the stereotype-driven narratives, marketing in LA is no different than anywhere else, you set the focus around the stars that you do have.  Barring a standout QB, that means Bosa (for as long as he's with the team) and Derwin.  No one would argue that the Rams have had success in their marketing of the team and, outside of some local endorsement deals, the onus of whom the team is marketed around are Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, arguably Sean McVay, and then Jared Goff... with the strong possibility that Jalen Ramsey could overtake Goff is he settles in and plays to the level he's capable of.

I don’t think Henry (Health) is worth the tag but since we have the money free to do so we should use it and see if it can finally stay healthy and deserve a long term deal. I hope we’re working on Bosa’s extension as he is arguably the teams most foundational piece at this point. I don’t blame him if he wants out though. There is nothing about the Chargers that would make me want to spend my career there. 

8 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

I don’t think Henry (Health) is worth the tag but since we have the money free to do so we should use it and see if it can finally stay healthy and deserve a long term deal. I hope we’re working on Bosa’s extension as he is arguably the teams most foundational piece at this point. I don’t blame him if he wants out though. There is nothing about the Chargers that would make me want to spend my career there. 

I mean, given that they're likely going to take over the Rams' practice facility in Thousand Oaks area when the Rams move into the one in Inglewood, I suppose it's a positive for him that he'd be with the team with smallest commute to Coachella, Burning Man, and EDC (and, if he's anything like Gronk… the AVN Awards).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

I mean, given that they're likely going to take over the Rams' practice facility in Thousand Oaks area when the Rams move into the one in Inglewood, I suppose it's a positive for him that he'd be with the team with smallest commute to Coachella, Burning Man, and EDC (and, if he's anything like Gronk… the AVN Awards).

Vegas is way closer for Burning Man. San Francisco too but I feel you on your point. 

~Burning Man Staffer

12 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Vegas is way closer for Burning Man. San Francisco too but I feel you on your point. 

~Burning Man Staffer

Vegas, I could see.  But I expect Gruden to have burned through Skeletor Jr.'s cash reserves by this time next year and him to not have the liquidity to put the necessary money in escrow to cover the kind of guaranteed sum Bosa is going to command.  And the logistics of Joey and Nick roadtripping to Burning Man from San Francisco together would never work out; they'd end up trying to offroad some 20 miles outside Barstow and end up wandering the desert in a psychotropic-induced trip convinced they're already at Burning Man, but really they've just set a homeless person on fire and the rode their bikes through a forest of cactii while Kaskade blasts on the car stereo.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 9:37 PM, The LBC said:

It's the smart approach to take.  I'd contend that until a firm situation with Bosa moving forward is known (either he's willing to extend and you extend him or he makes it clear he's not willing to extend, even at a - earned - market-setting deal), you don't want to tie up the money needed to do so flexibly.  Even for someone like Henry who is very good (when healthy) but not elite  Franchise him, because you have the flexibility to do so and address it when other ducks are in a row or more factors are known.

Hard decisions are going to have to be made in the coming years with guys far more consequential to the team's success than any TE that isn't a literal Gronk/Gates clone: Bosa, Derwin (before too long), Ingram (just as an example, wouldn't it truly suck if Ingram were actually willing to take a team-friendly 3rd deal but the space/flexibility wasn't there because it was tied up in a TE; who would you prefer the TE or the pass-rusher?  Which is more difficult to replace?).

I agree, this is the smart move in regards to Henry.  I think the TE franchise number is 10.6m this year.  If Hunter hit the open market, with this TE class coming out, he’d command that per year. This way, we’re only committed to one year, if he gets hurt again, then we can cut ties after the season. If he produces and stays healthy, we could talk long term deal. 

I think Melvin is getting traded this offseason.  He’s 32, last year of his deal and we know the Chargers don’t like handing out 3rd contracts.  Maybe if he went for a two year extension. I just have a feeling Melvin is getting moved

17 hours ago, Mojibwe said:

I have to admit, I did not see the hunter Henry franchise story to take us on such a wild ride 😂

I think LBC and I have been going back and forth for over a decade at this point. Nothing is too far off the rails now. 

• Like 1