Opening Day to be Pushed 2 weeks RE: COVID-19

Slateman

On 4/1/2020 at 1:56 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Eventually, both. But in the short term, the TV money presents less risk. I don't think any MLB owner wants to deal with a potential lawsuit from someone who went to a game, got COVID-19, and thinks they can prove they got it at the game. TV money carries a lot less potential liability.

So if I'm an owner, I want TV money from all 162 games to the point that I'd be willing to expand rosters to 40+ with some type of rotation system, then play doubleheaders like maniacs to get it. That adds, what, a few million in player earnings in exchange for half of my TV contact? Take that to the bank. And on the players end, I bet they'd like that deal because the extended rosters mean that all of the AAA guys who are hoping for September callups could get half the MLB minimum plus all of that service time. (And remember that for the players, 43 (IIRC) days of service time gets you into the MLB pension program, and just 1 day of service time gives you lifetime access to the MLBPA health insurance plan. Players have every incentive to take rosters to 150% or 200% capacity.)

Admittedly, as a fan, I think that would be a half-assed product rushed out to check a box on a TV contract. But I don't see how both sides turn down the option that says "more money".

Tbh itd actually be pretty cool to see an expanded 40 man roster and a bunch of double headers

Its a ****tier product on the field but a lot more players would get a shot too

• Like 1

• 1 month later...