Jaguars deal with CB Darqueze Dennard falls through (page 2)

RaidersAreOne

"While Byron Jones was the crown jewel of the cornerback market, the Jaguars’ Darqueze Dennard (3 years, $4.5M/year) is one of the best values of free agency thus far at a price tag of $125K/TP1000.

Dennard has been very consistent the past three years, ranking 46th, 13th, and 45th in Total Points/Snap in 2017, 2018, and 2019, respectively. As such, the Jaguars front office appears to have acquired a reliable and cost-controlled corner through his age-30 season."

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/2020/03/19/evaluating-the-best-values-in-free-agency-by-our-total-points-metric/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

We believe he can...and we’ve gotten rid of our best 2 from last year so YTFN

We know he can play and play well in the slot. Ideally that's where he'd play, but I imagine he took a deal less than others (idk how else we got him for what we did) to have an opportunity to compete outside.

Worst case he's the #3 corner outside and still better than what we had after Bouye/Herndon last year. We're still definitely taking a corner in the few few rounds you have to imagine.

On 19/03/2020 at 1:07 PM, .Buzz said:

I mean...i certainly hope he can do it.  But it seems like a significant leap of faith to assume he'll succeed.

Especially when people have spent the last two years losing their ******* minds around here, about not playing enough aggressive press on the boundary.

21 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This sucks.

This feels like it's what others have been hinting at...where this organization has been notably difficult to deal with when it comes to nickle and diming players on sticky contract language that isn't exactly typical.  Even with Tom gone...still finding ways to irritate players.  xD

11 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

This feels like it's what others have been hinting at...where this organization has been notably difficult to deal with when it comes to nickle and diming players on sticky contract language that isn't exactly typical.  Even with Tom gone...still finding ways to irritate players.  xD

Eh, until you know the story hard to go that route imo. Ravens just voided a contract with Brockers after doing the same with WR Ryan Grant a couple years ago.

With not being able to meet face to face, wouldn't shock me if a few more happened. This off-season is going to be odd in a lot of ways given the circumstances. But I really don't think the Jags got stingy on a million here or there given the fact they have no issues spending and spending lots. We'll be right against the cap after the rookie class I'm sure.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Eh, until you know the story hard to go that route imo. Ravens just voided a contract with Brockers after doing the same with WR Ryan Grant a couple years ago.

With not being able to meet face to face, wouldn't shock me if a few more happened. This off-season is going to be odd in a lot of ways given the circumstances. But I really don't think the Jags got stingy on a million here or there given the fact they have no issues spending and spending lots. We'll be right against the cap after the rookie class I'm sure.

True.  This offseason is a weird one.

I don't think it's necessarily about being "stingy on a million here or there".  I think it's likely less about the money itself...and more about details of the language in the contract.  Specific terminology, offsets, caveats...that kind of stuff.  At least, that's impression i get there.  And it's been hinted at a fair bit, that the Jaguars are known to be kind of...difficult in the way they handle some of that stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Tugboat said:

True.  This offseason is a weird one.

I don't think it's necessarily about being "stingy on a million here or there".  I think it's likely less about the money itself...and more about details of the language in the contract.  Specific terminology, offsets, caveats...that kind of stuff.  At least, that's impression i get there.  And it's been hinted at a fair bit, that the Jaguars are known to be kind of...difficult in the way they handle some of that stuff.

Very possible indeed. Haven't had an issue where it got to this point where it voided/fell apart though which is odd.

Even more odd he had Jacksonville Jaguars CB in his Twitter bio and responded to Eifert's Duval tweet.

Oh well.