JQ’s Dart-Throwing Mock: With Small Board

JQ1

Title Aside, I did use a variety of draft sites for reference/cross reference, to at least make an attempt at drafting guys in proximity to somebody’s  projected value. I’ve listed sources used at the bottom of this post.
I also considered the two outside free agents the Packers brought in, Kirksey and Wagner are only stop gaps, although Kirksey could be good if he can stay on the field. 
I like the players Green Bay has retained, Marcedes, Sullivan, Redmond, Lazard, and of course Mason Crosby. So I considered the highest needs for next year’s team to be: OL, DL, ILB, WR, and to a lesser degree RB. 
For the first six rounds I added some alternate choices, that's my “Small Board.
For example, I’d had liked LSU’s Edwards Helaire in the 3rd, but I thought it was too much draft capital to invest when there are more pressing needs on the squad. So he got a slot on the Small Board.

The last several picks were mostly a hand full of darts. Check it out, and fire away!

1st (30) Kenneth Murray, Best available ILB prospect falls, I hope to Green Bay 
  alt. Josh Jones T, Austin Jackson T

2nd (62) Isaiah Wilson OT, Your Right tackle of the future, maybe even the present!
  alt.  Brandon Aiyuk WR, KJ Hammler WR, Lucas Niang T

3rd  (94)  Devin Duvernay WR - Packers get their version of Deebo Samuel, a slot guy with YAC ability  
  alt. Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB, Troy Dye ILB, Malik Harrison OLB/ILB, Matt Peart T 

4th  (136) Leki Fotu DL, Utah  a run-stuffing partner for Kenny Clark to mentor 
  alt. Rashard Lawrence DT, Calvin Throckmorton OL, Jalen Hurts QB

5th  (175) Jordyn Brooks ILB, Texas Tech - I have some doubts, but his value seemed about right
  alt. Saadiq Charles T LSU

6th  (192) Stephen Sullivan TE   LSU - Hopefully he can develop into the “move” TE role. Sounds like more of an overgrown WR.
  alt. Antonio Gibson WR Memphis - speedy one-year-wonder

6th  (208)  Darrynton Evans RB, App State - CBS/NFL has him at #217 overall, but he may go sooner.
   alt. James Robinson RB, Illinois State - another small school prospect

7th  (209) McTelvin Agim DT, Arkansas, "Comes off ball with good pad level

7th  (236  Isaiah Coulter WR Rhode Island - Developmental WR 

7th  (242) Jake Luton QB - a nod to the Beavers and a backup prospect 

Sources:  CBS/NFL Big Board and Scouting Reports
                  NFL Draft and Combine Profiles
                  Great Blue North Draft Report
         also: The Draft Network and Draft Tek

Round/Position
1 ILB
2 OT
3 WR
4 DL
5 ILB
6 TE
6 RB
7 DT
7 WR
7 QB

Edited by JQ1

Considering the amount of study that goes into even a "Small Board" mock, you certainly shouldn't have to wait for some feedback--even though it's coming from a novice. Three names that really jump out to me as quality choices are Duvernay, Evans, and Sullivan. And I think you have them slotted in sensible places. Durvernay looks every bit the part you describe. Evans to me is an intriguing player, although the Packers may feel they already have him in Tyler Ervin. I could see the team looking hard at a guy like Lamical Perrine if they go in the opposite direction. And, again considering I admit to being a raw amateur, my studies suggest that Aiyuk will be gone before Pick #62. I have seen some sites list him as the Packers choice at Pick #30 or a tradeback in early Round Two. Another pick you made is Jordyn Brooks, and I think he has good size and real potential. I could be very wrong, but from what I have read, he may go as early as Round Three. I really appreciate the use you made of alternates, too. It provides me with very useful context for where Gutekunst may go. Nice work!

Really like it from the 4th round on.

Really don't like Day 1-2. We paid Kirksey, that's our LB, like it or not. A second high value slot used on an ILB is wasteful. Wilson is a Phil Loadholt type RT. He's a Bears/Steelers run scheme guy, not for GB. Look at Prince from Auburn, Ezra Cleveland or Saahdiq Charles there instead. Last Duvernay is a straight line stiff player. Much rather hope Chase Claypool, Michael Pittman or even Bryan Edwards get there. If you're looking for a slot body type, much rather have KJ Hill.

• Like 1

I don't see Wilson coming into start day 1 as our RT. I don't think his footwork is going to be good enough now to handle speed rushers. Not sure if it will be, but I'm no NFL GM. I like what you are thinking overall there. Draft a kid and let him sit for a year. Is he too tall or big to play guard for us? He looks like he'd run over anybody. 

On 3/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, Packerraymond said:

Really like it from the 4th round on.

Really don't like Day 1-2. We paid Kirksey, that's our LB, like it or not. A second high value slot used on an ILB is wasteful. Wilson is a Phil Loadholt type RT. He's a Bears/Steelers run scheme guy, not for GB. Look at Prince from Auburn, Ezra Cleveland or Saahdiq Charles there instead. Last Duvernay is a straight line stiff player. Much rather hope Chase Claypool, Michael Pittman or even Bryan Edwards get there. If you're looking for a slot body type, much rather have KJ Hill.

I'm with you on this one. Kenneth Murray is going to bust at the next level because he's kinda soft, gets dinged up a lot, and you can run downhill on him all day, just like his teammate in front of him, Neville Gallimore.  Wilson is a reach at 62 despite CBS ranking him at 51. Duvernay will easily fall to Day 3 given his stiffness. Like the Coulter and Sullivan picks in the later rounds as good project players. Brooks in the 5th would be epic value, but I don't see him sliding that far so I'd pencil him in as your 3rd rounder with Charles, your alternate pick, as your fifth rounder.

I think you're on the right track here for the mostpart but need to tweak this. I'll be looking forward to your next mock; I think it'll be much better.

Thanks all, for your reasoned input. I may tinker a bit and see what happens. Off the cuff though, here’s what I’m thinking:

•  Josh Jones at Tackle would be a nice prospect to season for a year. He did make the "small board. Agree that investing a #1 in a MLB after you just brought in a FA isn't the most efficient use of draft capital.
  • That said, I still think the Packers still need a sustainable, long-term solution at that MLB position. Hopefully Kirksey can stay healthy, because he looked like a quality starter in his first two seasons. Green Bay is rolling the dice that he’ll be available on Sundays. Maybe Troy Dye or Malik Harrison in round 3. Aside from the draft, we can also hope somebody already on the team steps up and can fill that MLB role.
  • Those first two days, my goal is to improve the middle of the Packer defense OR to a future long-term starter at tackle. Jone would check that box.
  • The exception would be if a top tier WR fell into their laps in round 1, unlikely as that is. However, there will be lots of quality receivers available for Day 2, and some will even trickle the 4th and 5th.
  • I think Chase Claypool would be terrific at 62,  but I think he’ll be gone. Claypool seems like a high-octane version of Alan Lazard, which I’d say is a very good thing! If the Packers want him in round 2 they'll probably have to go up and get him. Gutekunst seems to love the BIG WRs.
  • I like the idea of making a trade or two to acquire additional 2nd-4th round picks. Maybe Gute could package some lower picks along with a player to do so. On trading the 1st rounder, a caveat is losing that 5th year option on your pick. GB may place high value on that flexibility.
  • I may possibly re-draft the top rounds. We’ll see...
  • I agree that CB is at the least a forthcoming need for Green Bay, and drafting one this year could mitigate the potential future loss of Kevin King, and maybe this year, Tramon. Josh Jackson might have some trade value to package with a draft pick...
  • Man, that LSU team was absolutely LOADED this year, weren’t they!?
  • Thanks again all!
Edited by JQ1