patdt13

Boston Red Sox Thread

Hanley's gone. They're saying it was a baseball decision, but I'm guessing it's more about the 2019 $22M option that was probably going to vest. Hanley was hitting .254 / .313 / .395 / .708 with 6 HR and 7 2B in 195 PA with a 0.4 BB/K rate. Not great. He was struggling, but if the Red Sox were looking to get rid of dead weight offensively, it would have been Jackie Bradley Jr. (.174/.268/.261/.528, 2 HR, 6 2B, 0.28 BB/K in 157 PA) getting the ax. Other options were DFAing Brock Holt, optioning JBJ to Pawtucket, and trading Blake Swihart.

All I know is that that $22M needs to be going to either locking up Craig Kimbrel (likely) or signing Mookie to an extension this offseason (less likely).

Red Sox (#1 record in MLB) at Astros (#2 record in MLB)

Thursday: Drew Pomeranz vs. Lance McCullers Jr.
Friday: Chris Sale vs. Gerrit Cole
Saturday: David Price vs. Justin Verlander
Sunday: Rick Porcello vs. Charlie Morton

My body is ready.

Our starting outfield tonight vs. Detroit is:

LF-Benintendi
CF-Bradley Jr.
RF-Holt

Brock Holt is playing right field in Fenway Park, when he could be playing left field, Benintendi in center, and Bradley Jr. in right. I don't understand why Holt is in right.

I love Sandy Leon as much as the next guy, but you have to admit that you lose some athleticism at that position defensively when you contrast him with Vazquez. I never see Vazquez drop a ball off a relay throw, but Leon just did and it cost the Red Sox a run.