Detroit Lions are just bizarre

Nbanflguy

29-22 over the past 51 games. 2 playoff appearances. Thats a pretty solid run right? Has anyone else noticed how their games literally follow the same script week in and week out? They always find themselves down double digits before rallying at the last minute to win or come up just short. If they had beaten Atlanta today, they would have beat the defending NFC champs while only leading for 8 seconds. I dont believe we have ever seen an above .500 team that spends as much time trailing as the Lions do. Their 4th quarters have been historically bizarre every week. Has anyone done an in depth look at this? I might do it if no one else has already done it.

• How much time do they spend trailing?
  • How often do they actually hold the lead?
  • How many of the wins have been 4th quarter come backs?
  • How often are they down double digits?

Discuss

46 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Part of this is having a clutch QB and absolutely no running game.

What does that mean though? Stafford is an average QB, but then consistently becomes elite in the 4th quarter and OT? What changes in the 4th?

1 minute ago, Nbanflguy said:

What does that mean though? Stafford is an average QB, but then consistently becomes elite in the 4th quarter and OT? What changes in the 4th?

The team calls plays necessary to move the ball down the field, which have increased risk.  It seems that we play a far more conservative game until we need points.  Without a running game, we struggle to hold leads and run the clock.

4 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

first, stafford is better than average. He's not elite but he's definitely better than average.

secondy detroits game plan is very conservative for 3/4ths of the game. They also tend to play better in no huddle as well.

21 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

first, stafford is better than average. He's not elite but he's definitely better than average.

secondy detroits game plan is very conservative for 3/4ths of the game. They also tend to play better in no huddle as well.

Why though? So they consistently play conservative week after week and get down big. Then they turn it on and make a come back. Why not skip the conservative bs and not get down big in the first place?

37 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

If Stafford is "average" then 2/3rds of the league's QBs are below average. People want to tout and anoint Carr, but he's a less experienced version of Stafford. Where ever you rank Carr,  Stafford has to be one spot above, in the least.  So Carr's ceiling is to be an "average" QB?  Get ready for Raider Fan rage!

And I'm not a Lion's fan. 

1 minute ago, ///mcompact said:

If Stafford is "average" then 2/3rds of the league's QBs are below average. People want to tout and anoint Carr, but he's a less experienced version of Stafford. Where ever you rank Carr,  Stafford has to be one spot above...in the least.  So is Carr's ceiling  "average"?

And I'm not a Lion's fan. 

I didnt say Stafford was average. I said he is average the first 3 quarters and then elite in the 4th and OT. That clearly makes you better than average

21 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

Why though? So they consistently play conservative week after week and get down big. Then they turn it on and make a come back. Why not skip the conservative bs and not get down big in the first place?

I have no idea to be honest. It's something that is wondered by nearly every Detroit fan out there. It is frustrating to watch a team continually do the same things over and over and then all of a sudden it's like a completely different play book.

IMO the biggest reason is because they don't have any resemblance of a consistent run game so they try to play conservative to avoid costly mistakes.

18 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

I have no idea to be honest. It's something that is wondered by nearly every Detroit fan out there. It is frustrating to watch a team continually do the same things over and over and then all of a sudden it's like a completely different play book.

IMO the biggest reason is because they don't have any resemblance of a consistent run game so they try to play conservative to avoid costly mistakes.

You just made your QB the highest paid player in NFL history. You cant be playing conservative and trying not to make mistakes for 3 quarters

Archived